MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Marking Micros

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aix sponsa
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:08 am    Post subject: Marking Micros Reply with quote

I think my questions were lost in all the excitement of the other posts so I'm re-posting it under its own title rather than in a topic that has bomb as its leader. I still have some "spring" maintenance to do and am looking for suggestions. A number of my caches are not marked as such. What
recommendations do cachers have for marking micros such as small bison tubes, bison tubes with taped on magnets, and match holders as geocaches. What sticks the best in Minnesota's extreme weather? I'm sure paint would be the best but it might be a bit hard to paint geocache on a small bison tube. Barn walls are more my forte, especially the broadside. Also, for those of us who would like to do modifications in the "field" what works best?

schmittfamily
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are trying out a label from a label maker on our hide. We would need to do a 6 month check up to see how the experiment is going.
RudeRat
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think something as simple as writing “Geocache” or “www.geocaching.com” on it with a sharpie would be enough. Then I’d make sure it is hidden is such a way that it would not be viewed as a threat. Keep this in mind when re-hiding a cache as well. If the container is a lock’n’lock, peanut butter jar or something similar, consider not wrapping the entire container in camo tape, leaving a way for people to see inside without opening it. For large containers like ammo cans etc., a sticker on each side similar to the ones the MnGCA produced a few years ago would allow for easy identification from a distance. Finally, use the right cache for the right location. Ammo cans don’t belong under a bridge, and a blinkie is a good call for a sign or location with a lot of people. Remember to always use stealth when searching. People watching may go check out what you were doing once you leave, and if they spot something, may call the authorities thinking you just placed it.
schmittfamily
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 6 month datapoint. The label maker label appears to be holding fine after 6 months. The sharpie is actually wearing off.
Aix sponsa
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used Sharpies writing on things exposed to the elements and found they don't last exceptionally long. I'm hoping for about 3-5 years. I'm okay with checking caches yearly but I'd rather not re-label them every year. Surprisingly I've run across one or two of the nicer geocaching stickers for regular containers coming off. I believe they were on ammo cans. I'm not sure if they were metal or steel. I remember being surprised as I don't think the caches were that old.

RudeRat
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a multi where I printed off the cords for stage 2 on regular paper, cut them out, used packing tape to laminate them onto aluminum tape and attached them to a piece of metal with the aluminum tape. Third year out and they still look good.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: