MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MNGCA Coin History

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rosebud55112
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:39 am    Post subject: MNGCA Coin History Reply with quote

I’m trying to put together a summary of the geocoins and tags that have been officially produced by the MNGCA (as opposed to those produced by its members). Looking at my inventory of discovered and owned coins I’m sure is only giving me a partial listing of what’s been done, so any help any of you can give me would be appreciated. I have:

2007 Aurora Borealis MNGCA coin—Round coin. Reverse side shows the Northern lights surrounded by “GEOCACHING UNDER THE GLOW OF THE/ AURORA BOREALIS” while the obverse side has the MNGCA “Pine trees in MN” symbol, 2007, and tracking number surrounded by “Minnesota Geocaching Association www.MnGCA.org

2008—Was there a coin produced this year?

2009 coin available in gold, silver, copper (and/or antique copper?). Shaped like MN. Obverse says “MnGCA.org” and 2009 on a field of two pine trees. Reverse says “LAND OF 10,000 CACHES” and shows an ammo box and bootprints, all covered with snow. Tracking number is on reverse. Issued by Personal Geocoins.

2010 coin available in multiple metals. Square shaped, with four canoe paddles as border. Obverse shows the MNGCA “Pine trees in MN” symbol and the words “Caching Minnesota Style” above and “Minnesota Geocaching Association” below. To the sides are four icons, representing and described by Winter (snowflake), Spring (red flower), Summer (sun) and Fall (maple leaf). On the blades of the paddles are (clockwise from upper left): Pine tree, 2010, camp fire, tracking number. The reverse shows a lakeshore scene with a loon on the water and a beached canoe. The color of the canoe varies with the metal of the coin. The blades of the paddles show animal tracks (clockwise from upper left): deer, bear, bird, wolf? Issued by DirectMint.com

2011 Coin. No icon. Rectangular-shaped, rounded corners. Obverse designed to look like a MN license plate. It reads “EXPLORE Geocaching/MnGCA/Land of 10,000 Caches” on three lines. The “Pine Trees in MN” symbol is between the Mn and the GCA. In the lower left and right corners are the tracking number and the year 2011, respectively. The reverse shows Paul Bunyan and Babe the Blue Ox by a geocache in the woods. Issued by DirectMint.com.

Cachekinz MNGCA—There are at least two varieties of this cachekinz. One is the “Pine trees in MN” symbol of the MNGCA. I do not know when this one was produced or sold. The other is an image of Babe the Blue Ox, and was produced at the same time as the 2011 Paul & Babe geocoin. Tracking number on back for both. Issued by Cache Addict.

COINS I DON’T KNOW IF THEY HAVE AN MNGCA CONNECTION:
Explore MN geocoin. Shaped like the state. The obverse appears identical to the icon, while the reverse says “Explore…Discover…Experience Minnesota” and has a loon and the tracking number.

Cache MN geocoin. Created in silver and gold trim (and other?) Rectangular shaped, like a MN license plate. The obverse reads in three lines: “EXPLORE Minnesota/CACHE MN/ SEP 10,000 Lakes 2006” The reverse is the Groundspeak logo and the tracking number.

MN History—round coin, produced in copper? There is at least one version in honor of Alvin’s Phone Line, the oldest cache in Minnesota. I don’t have much more info than that.

Minnesota State Symbol Series coins—Round coins, there are at least two versions (probably more). I know of one for the Pink Lady Slipper (State Flower) and Walleye (State Fish). Produced in gold trim (and others?)

I believe that the 2010 GeocoinFest Coin (canoe) and CacheKin (gopher on an oval) were produced by the group sponsoring GCF2010, and are not affiliated with the MNGCA directly.

Have I missed any coins? Do you have more info re metals/colors/dimensions/prices/issuing mint/varieties/etc.?
NOSNOW
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 2006 there was a non-trackable coin - "No GPS Needed"

The Explore MN geocoin I think was made Centris

The Cache MN, MN Geocaching History Series #1 - Alvin's Phone Line Geocoin, MN Lady Slipper Geocoin, MN Loon Geocoin and MN Walleye Geocoin were made by merkman

Yest the 2010 GCF coins were made by the GCF commitee.
RudeRat
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe 2007 was the year of the MnGCA geonickels
MNMizzou
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2006 coin was the first one done by the MnGCA. It was not trackable through Groundspeak because at the time it would have literally added thousands of dollars to the cost of the coin. There were only a handful of designs other than the "official" Groundspeak coins. One of which was one done in Colorado that featured their state flag on the back. That as much as anything led to the 2006 coin. I should know, I was the one who first asked the question "hey I saw this cool Colorado coin, why don't we do something like this..." None of us on that first "coin committee" quite knew what to expect as far as sales, acceptance etc. Geocoins were pretty rare, and like I said beyond the Groundspeak coin that was pretty dull you really didn't see many different ones out there. Shortly after that 2006 coin was produced the market seemed to overflow with different designs and eventually Groundspeak made it much easier to incorporate the tracking number by working directly with a few different coin vendors to coordinate the tracking numbers. In 2006 we would have needed to buy a block of numbers, I think if I remember right the minimum was 1000 numbers, and they were close to 3-5 bucks per number which was making the coin close to 20 bucks cost, no profit at that point.

A lot of the design of that coin was done by Mrs. Mizzou, long before she had any clue she would be a 2 term president of the organization. There were 4 or 5 of us on the committee... she wasn't even officially on the committee, she just tagged along because it meant I would buy her pizza at the pizza place we all met at. We hashed out about 80% of the details in that one night over pizza and beer, the rest was done on the forums and that first coin was soon in the history books.
rosebud55112
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the info. This is good to know.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Travel Bugs All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: