MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Metro bomb scare
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AerosmithPA
MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

schmittfamily wrote:
my point was my impression is police officers are aware of geocaching at this point. If they aren't, they really should be.

Yes, and this is a mission of the MnGCA. Education, not ridicule those who have not heard of the game. There are a lot of areas where geocaches are quite sparse and I'm sure where law enforcement has had little to no contact.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MnDot crews have been finding caches, and signing the logbooks. Some of mine and some of jREST. I'm guessing they would be different crews.
dornole
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I take away from this that is in my control is:

--When I do urban or street sign caches I'll continue to be cautious about avoiding being observed (early morning hours, no traffic etc). I'll walk away and return another day as needed, no matter how much I want to go for it . . .
--I'll replace hides to be hard for muggles to spot.

This just seems like good cache hygiene to me. However I'm not sure how this cache was different from literally hundreds of other street sign hides in bison tubes in the metro area (except perhaps being very exposed). Are we saying we shouldn't hide or find those anymore?

If not going that far, what WOULD be helpful?
AustinMN
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
While I'm sure the cache owner meant no harm, I'm also sure the cache owner failed to notify the owner of the sign (either the local municipality or MnDOT) of the cache's existence, so the local PD wasn't aware of the cache. I could quote the guideline requiring permission here but it would be a waste of breath as everyone knows it.

Umm...this doesn't square with the original post.

MN.Fruitcake wrote:
The cache was apparently identified by MnDOT as a geocache before it was blown up.

Why would MnDOT identify it as a geocache if they didn't have some reason to know it was a geocache? Sounds to me like proper permission was obtained.

Austin
spinowner
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AustinMN wrote:
Why would MnDOT identify it as a geocache if they didn't have some reason to know it was a geocache? Sounds to me like proper permission was obtained.

Not necessarily. All that would be needed is to go to geocaching.com and look it up.
MNMizzou
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonkaMN wrote:
schmittfamily wrote:
My one run in getting called as a suspicious person, the law officer had a number code for geocaching to respond to the dispatcher. I was a code 6 geocaching. It appears to me geocaching has hit CB lingo amongst LEO.

Are you sure it wasn't 'code 4'? I've never heard of code 6 and I spend a lof of time listening to a police radio. Code 4 just means that the officer is not in danger and he doesn't plan to arrest anyone. That would be the response I would expect after an officer responds to a report of a suspicious person. I don't believe there is any 'lingo' for geocaching.

Not that it really matters one way or another but yes I would wonder about the Code 6... even if it was a 10 code that makes no sense since 10-6 is busy/respond only if urgent... unless the cop really wanted to find that cache with you.
Draconisdax
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AustinMN wrote:
Pear Head wrote:
While I'm sure the cache owner meant no harm, I'm also sure the cache owner failed to notify the owner of the sign (either the local municipality or MnDOT) of the cache's existence, so the local PD wasn't aware of the cache. I could quote the guideline requiring permission here but it would be a waste of breath as everyone knows it.

Umm...this doesn't square with the original post.

MN.Fruitcake wrote:
The cache was apparently identified by MnDOT as a geocache before it was blown up.

Austin

I take it to mean a crew working for MNDOT found it and "played" with it. Just because a crew found it and decided to have fun with it does not mean with was approved by MNDOT...
schmittfamily
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He wasn't interested in hearing about geocaching.

Anyway, dornole nails it - is there anything we should be doing different? The original post highlights the requirement for external labeling on caches. I would say less than 10% of caches we have found have external labeling. My understanding is if a hide doesn't meet groundspeak guidelines we are ecouraged to post a "needs Archive" log. That seems a little extreme. Would writing the GC number on a cache when finding it be considered cache maintenance or cache vandalism?
spinowner
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

schmittfamily wrote:
My understanding is if a hide doesn't meet groundspeak guidelines we are ecouraged to post a "needs Archive" log. That seems a little extreme.

There are thousands of caches statewide that fail to meet at least one of the guidelines. As one example, I don't think I've ever found a blinkie that was labeled on the outside of the container. As another example, there are tons of caches on private property without permission. A Needs Maintenance note might be indicated in some situations but our reviewers would be totally overwhelmed if every cache that does not meet the guidelines was slapped with a Needs Archived. Perhaps one of our reviewers could speak more directly to this issue.
dornole
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like reviewer direction as well. For example what am I to do with something like this?

http://coord.info/GC25P0J

I did not search for it because there seemed to be no legal access (literally wall to wall no trespassing signs when approaching from given parking coordinates) and recommended owner check on it. Looking through the logs it's a mix of others who didn't find, those who found while commenting about questionable legality and those who just found it. ("Did they come some other way, am I crazy or overreacting?" was my thought so I did not post an archive or maintenance log).

Almost wish there was a "dodgy" button like with favorites to collect opinions on placements of questionable legality and/or chance of causing problems for geocaching locally.

What would be the best approach for something like this?
dornole
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I should add small "Geocache" stickers to my cache rescue kit. It's a thought.
tonkaMN
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found 'code 6'. I've never heard it used, but apparently it means 'out of vehicle for investigation' http://www.policecodes.net/radio/
schmittfamily
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is actually interesting to know - thanks for the link.
It doesn't look that link will be useful for a certain puzzle cache though.
Rustynails
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dornole wrote:
I'd like reviewer direction as well. For example what am I to do with something like this?

I did not search for it because there seemed to be no legal access (literally wall to wall no trespassing signs when approaching from given parking coordinates) and recommended owner check on it. Looking through the logs it's a mix of others who didn't find, those who found while commenting about questionable legality and those who just found it. ("Did they come some other way, am I crazy or overreacting?" was my thought so I did not post an archive or maintenance log).

Almost wish there was a "dodgy" button like with favorites to collect opinions on placements of questionable legality and/or chance of causing problems for geocaching locally.

I found those with a group three years ago. We parked near the posted parking and there were NO signs at that time. We crossed the water at the south end of the small ravine, walking over rocks. With all the rain we got the rocks are most likely under water. We then found the trail. As I recall it was a very nice area to hike with lots of wildlife, deer, turkeys to name a few.

Last edited by Rustynails on Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Draconisdax
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dornole wrote:

I would start by posting a NM log...the owner has not been on in almost a year...if nothing happens with it in a month of so after NM...post NA...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: