MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Metro bomb scare
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
jackremote
Geocacher


Joined: 02 Apr 2011

Posts: 37

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where was this???
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
schmittfamily
Geocacher


Joined: 21 Sep 2012

Posts: 186

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first response is a link to the story.

There was a pipe bomb scare a couple weeks ago in Washington.
http://myedmondsnews.com/2013/07/mountlake-terrace-man-says-lake-ballinger-pipe-bomb-was-actually-geocache-container/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AustinMN
Geocacher


Joined: 21 Mar 2012

Posts: 160

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

schmittfamily wrote:
The first response is a link to the story.

There was a pipe bomb scare a couple weeks ago in Washington.
http://myedmondsnews.com/2013/07/mountlake-terrace-man-says-lake-ballinger-pipe-bomb-was-actually-geocache-container/


I didn't realize that the south metro area was the responsibility of the Washington State Police before.

Austin
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jackremote
Geocacher


Joined: 02 Apr 2011

Posts: 37

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AustinMN wrote:
schmittfamily wrote:
The first response is a link to the story.

There was a pipe bomb scare a couple weeks ago in Washington.
http://myedmondsnews.com/2013/07/mountlake-terrace-man-says-lake-ballinger-pipe-bomb-was-actually-geocache-container/


I didn't realize that the south metro area was the responsibility of the Washington State Police before.

Austin
Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AerosmithPA
Past MnGCA President


Joined: 19 Nov 2005

Posts: 1382

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another case of B-A-D publicity for our game.

http://www.ketv.com/news/geocaching-causes-scare-in-lincoln-on-wednesday/39850416

I don't know if the property owner gave permission for the hide or not, but this can serve as a reminder to PLEASE get permission for hides from private property owners. I'm guessing since it appears store employees were cleared from the area, permission was not granted. Permission for hides on private property could make this story and expense go away. Without permission, continued stories like this could make our game go away. This type of story bothers and concerns me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BobboTeam
Geocacher


Joined: 11 Jun 2006

Posts: 49

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AerosmithPA wrote:
Another case of B-A-D publicity for our game.

http://www.ketv.com/news/geocaching-causes-scare-in-lincoln-on-wednesday/39850416

I don't know if the property owner gave permission for the hide or not, but this can serve as a reminder to PLEASE get permission for hides from private property owners. I'm guessing since it appears store employees were cleared from the area, permission was not granted. Permission for hides on private property could make this story and expense go away. Without permission, continued stories like this could make our game go away. This type of story bothers and concerns me.


It concerns me, as well. You don't mention the most important aspect of this, however, at least in my mind. It is the job of the police and other emergency responders to be as informed as they can be about the area they are responsible for patrolling. I have always understood the point of organizations like the Minnesota Geocaching Association is to work with community liaison officers and others to educate them about what geocaching is, and how to determine if there is a cache hidden in a manner that comes to the attention of the police. In most cases a police desk officer merely needs to log onto the site and check the location map. (Of course, puzzle caches can complicate that simplicity, and I agree that containers should be marked with the word geocache, or some clear indication of its purpose). Maybe Groundspeak needs to have a first-responder portal that displays all and only the specific locations of all physical hides?

I also agree that permission for placement is important and should be strongly encouraged. I hasten to point out that a geocacher can get clear permission from a store manager, for example, but the full staff of an Aldi store may not be informed about the existence of a cache in a light pole. Besides, it was (in my opinion inappropriately nosy) construction workers from next door that were the trouble makers.

I strongly resent the idea that it is solely the job of Groundspeak or any individual geocacher to solve this problem. The money spent on the bomb squad in that Lincoln, NE story was completely unnecessary and therefore is not germane to the discussion. The police and the FBI wasted the money and time, in my opinion.

This story bothers and concerns me, as well. But the majority of my concern is focused at the paranoia of some members of the general public who overreact with fear toward something they do not understand. I relate to this geocache-in-Nebraska story in the same way as I related to the news story of the woman on the airplane who assumed a Muslim math professor was a terrorist because he had brown skin and was working on complicated equations she didn't understand. She is the villain of that story.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
spinowner
Geocacher


Joined: 25 Nov 2004

Posts: 619

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AerosmithPA wrote:
Another case of B-A-D publicity for our game.

http://www.ketv.com/news/geocaching-causes-scare-in-lincoln-on-wednesday/39850416

I don't know if the property owner gave permission for the hide or not, but this can serve as a reminder to PLEASE get permission for hides from private property owners. I'm guessing since it appears store employees were cleared from the area, permission was not granted. Permission for hides on private property could make this story and expense go away. Without permission, continued stories like this could make our game go away. This type of story bothers and concerns me.


This is an example of why caches on private property are a huge pet peeve of mine. It's a big black eye on the sport.
The guidelines specifically state that if a cache is on private property the cache page must state that permission was granted. There are hundreds of caches in the Twin Cities alone that violate this guideline but the reviewers still allow them to be published. When I asked a reviewer about this I was told essentially that it's not my business and I should drop the subject. I've heard experienced cachers say that caches in parking lots such as the one that was the subject of this news story are OK because everyone does it. So I throw up my hands, ignore caches on private property and hope something like this, or worse, doesn't happen here.
_________________
Sig line? I don't need no stinking sig line!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher


Joined: 10 Jan 2003

Posts: 1158

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BobboTeam wrote:
But the majority of my concern is focused at the paranoia of some members of the general public who overreact with fear toward something they do not understand.


What do you expect when you have a government repeatedly telling us, "If you see something, say something"?
_________________
"Hi, I'm Moe, or as the women know me - Hey! You in the bushes."
-Moe, The Simpsons
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
bflentje
Geocacher


Joined: 29 May 2006

Posts: 4234

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moe the Sleaze wrote:
BobboTeam wrote:
But the majority of my concern is focused at the paranoia of some members of the general public who overreact with fear toward something they do not understand.


What do you expect when you have a government repeatedly telling us, "If you see something, say something"?


The downtown skyway system is plastered with billboards and this quote.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
spinowner
Geocacher


Joined: 25 Nov 2004

Posts: 619

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing about caching that makes it fun but also makes cachers look suspicious is the semi-secretive nature of the sport. Some secrecy is necessary, of course. If the hiding place of every cache was public knowledge there would be no fun in searching. Not only that, but many more caches would be stolen. But I agree that it would be good for local law enforcement to be aware of the locations of all active caches.
_________________
Sig line? I don't need no stinking sig line!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President


Joined: 04 Apr 2004

Posts: 5790

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Law enforcement can sign up for a free premium account. I understand that this doesn't give them the access online to all cache final waypoints.

They can also call Groundspeak to get information about caches in a particular location (which would be good practice in a bomb-scare such as this). The directions are right on the top of the parks and police page, which is linked from the bottom of the main geocaching.com page:

https://www.geocaching.com/parksandpolice/
_________________
Hmm...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
beagleboo
Geocacher


Joined: 06 Sep 2007

Posts: 246

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the Question GC15HW6
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
XHawk
Geocacher


Joined: 30 Oct 2007

Posts: 69

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am surprised that a cache was published with a name like that. Glad it is archived.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
beagleboo
Geocacher


Joined: 06 Sep 2007

Posts: 246

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

XHawk wrote:
I am surprised that a cache was published with a name like that. Glad it is archived.




Unfortunately, locating and labeling does not reveal actual real time "contents".

GC1PYKE

It remains the police/bomb squads call.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group
Geocaching Cache Icons, Copyright 2009, Groundspeak Inc. All rights reserved. Used with Permission.