MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dodge County Cache Owners:
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
spatten26
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:52 pm    Post subject: Dodge County Cache Owners: Reply with quote

Due to some conversations I've recently had with the Dodge County Sheriff's Dept regarding our Battleship series; the sheriff's office has asked that we label all our Battleship caches even though they are just little tubes at stop signs in the middle of nowhere.

So in response, I told the deputy I would ask other CO's in the county to please label their caches as geocaches regardless of size or location.

On behalf of Dodge County,
Thanks
AerosmithPA
MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the geocaching.com guidelines:

2.Label your geocache.

To avoid confusion and alarm when a cache is discovered accidentally, clearly label it as a "geocache" and include the GC code on the outside of the container. Transparent containers help to show that the contents are harmless. If the container has any military markings, we recommend permanently covering these or removing them. Include a printed "cache note" inside your cache to explain what it is and to provide a brief description of geocaching.
Rustynails
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was with the group that did the Battle Ship series Monday. The containers are too small for a label to help identify it as a geocache. And many have no idea what geocaching is. The problem is that people are to quick in assuming the worst and jumping to the WRONG conclusion. The real crime is the theft of the container. If someone sees suspicious activity they should let law enforcement take care of it. Most LEO's know about geocaching just as the Dodge county officer, and was able to track down the CO. I hope the officer explained to the farmer that geocaching is a harmless activity to avoid future problems.

As a CO, I have notified neighbors of near by geocaches I have hidden so they will be aware of new activity. I believe education is important.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rustynails wrote:
The problem is that people are to quick in assuming the worst and jumping to the WRONG conclusion.

My story is well known. Wink
Mrs. Mizzou
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
Rustynails wrote:
The problem is that people are to quick in assuming the worst and jumping to the WRONG conclusion.

Would a label have helped?
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mrs. Mizzou wrote:
bflentje wrote:
Rustynails wrote:

Would a label have helped?

It was labeled.. on the inside.
pattenclan
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LEO DID talk to the local who has been the main instigator. He (officer) was told it would get left alone. Bobcam made it out before us, and replaced one of the caches...which was subsequently taken within 2-3 days. We went out to check on it...and label it, only to find it gone. We replaced...again...with a VERY well labeled bison (label as high as tube, all the way around with "official geocache" written), and now bottom half is gone. Spatten is planning on calling LEO to try and get some kind of resolution, as. We are now into repetitive theft....despite the local "being ok with it". Sstay tuned as this is definitely a series peoe are talking about.....
Boreal Walker
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps a better solution would be to archive this cache and create a new puzzle. The posted coordinates could be the original traditional to maintain the pattern, but the physical cache would be located elsewhere. That way it stops getting stolen, and geocachers don't have to deal with cranky landowner. Just a thought.
AerosmithPA
MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boreal Walker wrote:
Perhaps a better solution would be to archive this cache and create a new puzzle. The posted coordinates could be the original traditional to maintain the pattern, but the physical cache would be located elsewhere. That way it stops getting stolen, and geocachers don't have to deal with cranky landowner. Just a thought.

Excellent solution. I think it's important to pick our battles (no pun) when it comes to threatening/charging people with theft, as we have to be careful not to give our game a black eye.
pattenclan
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main issue at this point boils down to the fact it is hidden kitty corner from his property. Now that foliage is in full aray, he can't see it...only cachers as they leave or arrive (depending on route). He waved at the last known cachers who found it. He understands what geocaching is, has acknowledged it, and (at times) is for it (increased traffic from cachers means more people watching out for potential robbers and drug dealers). Its been the random, out of nowhere change in midstream that has caused the major problems. He outright denied he or an officer had taken one...to a deputy....then changed story ten minutes later. Even if cache was moved, he might follow anyone going from point A to point B. Unfortunately, there are those that can't be satisfied no matter how much compromise is offered.
pattenclan
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AerosmithPA wrote:
Boreal Walker wrote:

Excellent solution. I think it's important to pick our battles (no pun) when it comes to threatening/charging people with theft, as we have to be careful not to give our game a black eye.

The cache is actually part of a Battleship grid...as in the beloved game from years past. We have looked at moving it, as the local owner had suggested it, but unfortunately, there is no place to put it without placing two caches (each A-G 1-7 cache counts as a smiley, and works to the final) at the same location....or putting it directly across his property where there is a sign saying "No Tresspassing". The DCSD is perfectly fine with geocaching, and in fact is all for having the grid in place. This one particular person (as previously stated) seems to be ok with it one second, then the next wants it moved. The reason for contacting the LEO would be to have someone as a mediator to discuss options, or lack thereof, and to find out once and for all why there is a problem...and potentially resolve the problem. Yes, he is a theif...and has stolen a few bison tubes. He admitted it to JustJackMN...then when the deputy involved was asked by Steve where the tube was, he had absolutely no idea what the owner meant....as he had not seen a bison tube. Deputy then asked the owner, who proceeded to lie to the deputy and say he didnt see any geocache, and it was still in place. Once deputy showed the owner it wasn't there, he was informed that the owner had in fact taken it, and turned it in to the SD in Mantorville. Then promised the deputy he wouldn't mess with any caches. Two caches later, we are left with the top still zip tied to the post.

Please don't get me wrong. I am not complaining, nor am I trying to flame. Just trying to explain all that has gone on in detail, so everyone is on the same page. I understand some of those who have commented on here haven't made the trek to play the game (yet), so I tried to make a brief, concise explanation as to what all is going on with the series....and that labeling doesn't always help.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds like it's giving caching a black eye.

If the land owner doesn't want it, even if it's not on his land, then let it go. If someone stuck a cache directly across the road from my property I'd probably remove it too.
schmittfamily
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If someone living nearby a cache placement doesn't want it there - it is not going to last. It doesn't matter who is right.

I wanted to point out we did a multicache in WI last weekend that may also work as a way to keep the grid of the game and provide a path to a safer placement. It was GC8330 - http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=b26633c3-f84d-4ee4-b594-b7891d2ceb39
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
If someone stuck a cache directly across the road from my property I'd probably remove it too.

+1
pattenclan
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
This sounds like it's giving caching a black eye.

If the land owner doesn't want it, even if it's not on his land, then let it go. If someone stuck a cache directly across the road from my property I'd probably remove it too.

Which is where the secondary problem comes in...it ISNT directly across from his property. In fact, late fall, winter, and early spring might be the only time when someone going for the cache might be spotted from the local's house. The rest of the time, trees and shrubbery on the property hide the house quite well, unless you are passing by the driveway. Fore thought was used in placement.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Southern MN All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: