MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bear sighting in central MN
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
loneeagle_24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 5:13 pm    Post subject: Bear sighting in central MN Reply with quote

Just so all are aware of this. There was a black bear spotted near Lake Lillian on Saturday. If caching in that area please be aware of this. It is pretty good sized. A Sheriffs deputy was able to get a couple of pics of it and said that it was roughly 8-10' tall when standing against a tree. He was close enough to it that it actually hissed at him. He didn't however get out of his car just in case it was aggressive.
AustinMN
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would never let a bear sighting stop me from caching. The truth is whenever a person goes outside they should be aware of their surroundings and be prepared for nature to act like nature.

Austin
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. You're at more risk of getting sick from Lymes than you are from being attacked by a bear.
schmittfamily
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two of top seven local stories right now according to yahoo:
1. man gets $150,000 settlement after fight with police in Bloomington (that park has 9 geocaches in it)
2. joggers randomly attacked in Fridley over the weekend (not familiar with the area).

I would say one should be aware of the non-nature part of your surroundings as well...
AustinMN
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

schmittfamily wrote:
Two of top seven local stories right now according to yahoo:
1. man gets $150,000 settlement after fight with police in Bloomington (that park has 9 geocaches in it)
2. joggers randomly attacked in Fridley over the weekend (not familiar with the area).

I would say one should be aware of the non-nature part of your surroundings as well...

Or the human nature...
dornole
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorta thought a bear sighting would not be unusual in central MN. Am I wrong? Was it right inside an ice cream shop or something?
RudeRat
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hid a cache (GC331K3), took the coords and as I was leaving noticed a ton of fresh bear sign. I waited a few days before submitting it, but figured people used to bear country know what to do. Never seen one while caching, but smelled one going after GC1FX0Q. They have a very distinct odor. Iím sure the noise of the interstate kept it from hearing us coming or it would have left. FYI, a black bear will sit tight and let you walk past.
AerosmithPA
MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RudeRat wrote:
figured people used to bear country know what to do....FYI, a black bear will sit tight and let you walk past.

I too will sit tight and let a bear walk past. I like to call it mutual respect.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VQSZ4c20KE
Boreal Walker
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was caching in Bloomington yesterday and was warned of a cougar sighted in the area. I haven't bothered looking up a legitamite news source yet. But mother nature is everywhere as are human dirtbags. It is part of leaving the "safety" of your home everyday.
RudeRat
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black Bear never bothered me much. Plenty of encounters, charged once, and never an issue. Never gave wolves much thought either. Scared a couple off a fresh kill once and they never bothered me even while I was checking out their meal. They grabbed the deer and carried it off as soon as I left. Plenty of moose encounters as well and while itís a little nerve-racking tiptoeing past a bull 25 yards away, never really had an issue with them. But cats are a different story. With bear, wolves, moose etc., you have a little warning/reaction time, but not with cats. They attack from behind, are masters of stealth and probably play with their food like house cats. Last fall I came across a deer hind quarter that was pulled about 6-7 feet up into a cedar tree not far from GCQEDC in the Joyce Estate. That made me nervous.
Mn-treker
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do not be too trusting of a Bear. A big one came on my brother inlaws farm and ripped two calves to shreads. Location Two Inlets, MN
The DNR confirmed it was a Bear that did it. About two years ago
a Bear attacked a DNR employee that was working in the woods.
The person gave no provocation to the Bear to cause the attack.
Just like in the video from pearhead. I read a story in Field and Stream.
A Deer hunter with Bow up a tree in a stand. Spots a Bear about 100 yards out. The Bear sees him and makes its way to the tree. Looks up and goes up the tree after the Man there. Half way up the Man puts an arrow in its chest and drops the Bear. In general never trust wildlife,
You never know how they will respond to you.
jicknarson
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RudeRat wrote:
Black Bear never bothered me much. Plenty of encounters, charged once, and never an issue. Never gave wolves much thought either. Scared a couple off a fresh kill once and they never bothered me even while I was checking out their meal. They grabbed the deer and carried it off as soon as I left. Plenty of moose encounters as well and while itís a little nerve-racking tiptoeing past a bull 25 yards away, never really had an issue with them. But cats are a different story. .

Pretty much my thoughts. I'm comfortable with most wildlife... live and let live.
Big cats and people (well, some creepy people) are a different story.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RudeRat wrote:
Never gave wolves much thought either. Scared a couple off a fresh kill once and they never bothered me even while I was checking out their meal.

as far as you know they weren't bothering you.. wolves and coyotes are very cunning creatures. No doubt they were back in the shadows planning your demise.
15Tango
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's always smart to wear bear bells and carry pepper spray in bear country. Grizzlies are much more aggressive than black bears. If you come across bear scat, it's always easy to differentiate between black bear and grizzly - Black bear droppings are smaller and often contain berries, leaves, and possibly bits of fur. Grizzly bear scat tends to smell spicy and contain small bells.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: