MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

recomendation

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Regelos
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:50 am    Post subject: recomendation Reply with quote

any chance you would have a recomendation of a really cheap GPS unit I've been planning on using my phone (even bought the app) but from what I've been reading on this site that is just truely a bad idea.

I don't have a lot of free money so it really does have to be crazy cheap.
seamusbleu
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming you are talking about a smartphone, that's not a bad way to go. The problem is that the GPS units in the smartphone are often not very accurate. If that is your case, one other option would be to use a external bluetooth GPS. That would give you better accuracy. The question is does your smartphone support external GPS' through bluetooth.

I just so happen to have such a bluetooth GPS unit and would sell it to you cheap ($10?) if you think it would work/help.
Regelos
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seamusbleu wrote:
Assuming you are talking about a smartphone, that's not a bad way to go. The problem is that the GPS units in the smartphone are often not very accurate. If that is your case, one other option would be to use a external bluetooth GPS. That would give you better accuracy. The question is does your smartphone support external GPS' through bluetooth.

I just so happen to have such a bluetooth GPS unit and would sell it to you cheap ($10?) if you think it would work/help.

I believe it does I'll check when I get home from work today.
brilang
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use my iPhone 4S wherever I have cell coverage. It's accurate to 5 meters most of the time.
The iPhone uses an AGPS chip - Assisted GPS. So it first triangulates your position from the nearest cell phone towers. Then adds in the info from the GPS satellites. And the GLONASS satellites too! http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/20/iphone-4s-supports-glonass-satellite-system-much-to-the-delight/
I find it registers my location faster than my Garmin eTrex 30 (which also uses the GLONASS sats).
KRedEP
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brilang wrote:
I use my iPhone 4S wherever I have cell coverage. It's accurate to 5 meters most of the time.
The iPhone uses an AGPS chip - Assisted GPS. So it first triangulates your position from the nearest cell phone towers. Then adds in the info from the GPS satellites. And the GLONASS satellites too! http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/20/iphone-4s-supports-glonass-satellite-system-much-to-the-delight/
I find it registers my location faster than my Garmin eTrex 30 (which also uses the GLONASS sats).
I assume it uses data?
brilang
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It uses data to get geocache information via the geocaching.com app.
Location services don't use data - I've been able to find my position when off-grid in the backcountry. There's cell phone towers out there, so it can only calculate your position from the sats. Takes longer to pinpoint where you are, but still gets 5 meter accuracy. Location services are a battery draining pig, so it is limited in its usefulness.

Edited to add:
Paid geocaching.com members can pre-load geocaches onto their iPhone via pocket queries - including downloading maps via wi-fi or 3G/LTE. So that might also require data. For myself, I do that part at home on wifi.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Buy / Sell / Trade All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: