MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help with Montana

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aix sponsa
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:32 pm    Post subject: Help with Montana Reply with quote

I am having a few problems with my new Montana. Looking for help for someone that has one. When I navigate towards a cache I like to know where it is on my screen and how far I am from it. On my 60Csx and my 62s I would put the cursor on it. I didn't use "Go To" because I had the information I needed. I prefer not to have a line on my screen but I can live with it. On the Montana if I use the "Go To" it shows the line but not my distance from the cache. Because it is a touch screen I can drop a pin and get the information I need but the slightest touch to the screen moves the pin. That pin is always moving. Is there a way to get the pin to lock or use the "Go To" to give me the information I desire? I've looked through the settings and can't find the setting that might help me.

Last edited by Aix sponsa on Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am actually learning to use a brand new Montana now as well. You have to utilize the geocaching Profile.. the different profiles have different functions attached to them. And if you're not in the geocaching profile, and you navigate to a geocache, and mark it as found, you'll discover the cool bug that gets you stuck in the geocaches list and you cannot do ANYTHING other than find next.. a bug that can't be fixed without restarting the unit.
Aix sponsa
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is good to know. I've only used the geocaching profile so far. Even there there is a bit of a loop looking like you need to log the one you have or go on to the next cache. An Oregon user showed me how to clear that using the "magnifying glass" icon. It clears the navigation to the cache if you choose not to log it.

I think I have the above issue resolved the best it can be. Not necessarily what I want, but it is what it is and better than it was.

seamusbleu
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The dashboard for geocaching whilst you are viewing the map is very useful. It displays at the top of the map with the cache name, compass, difficulty/terrain rating, distance to the cache, size of the cache, and the number of caches that you have found. You can easily minimize this by clicking a little arrow below the dashboard. This dashboard is also customizable if you would rather see different data fields."

See this image to get an idea if this is what you are looking for.
[img]https://geocass.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/geocachedashboard.jpg?w=780[/img]
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, not sure if it's a flaw or by design, when I am using the geocaching profile, but navigating to something other than a geocache, I wish the dashboard would show the navigating details to where I am headed.. usually manually entered waypoints, but could be a built in feature like city, etc.
Aix sponsa
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are my issues. If I want to know how far it is to a geocache that I am navigating to I need to press Go for that geocache. At that point the dashboard will come up and show me a huge compass telling me which way to go. If the cache is in the bottom right corner it is SE of me, I need to travel SE; if it is in the top left corner it is NW of me, I need to travel NW. I don't need a huge compass to tell me which direction to go to get to the cache. That has already been deduced. Please correct me if I am wrong. If the compass is telling me which way I am going not which way I need to go to get to the cache that would be much more helpful. I'll humbly admit I haven't worked with it much but that is what I have perceived.

When I am looking for caches I don't care how many I have found with this GPSr. That is not needed on my dashboard. The other information I find helpful. If I could eliminate the unneeded information and customize the dashboard for my use that would be great. I only see where I can customize to another dashboard which then does not give me any geocaching information.

In addition, if I drop the GPSr with a lanyard holding it to dig for something in a pocket or move brush as I bushwhack the sensitivity of the screen causes it to go from screen to screen to screen. I'll back it up through the many screens hoping it doesn't log the cache for me before it is found. Then I go through more brush and start the process again. It needs to be done if I have started to move in the wrong direction. I need to see the map.

Since I am still fairly new to this device I'll admit ignorance and will gladly take suggestions to improve my adroitness using this GPSr.

Aix sponsa
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay! Found the solution to one problem.

There are no sensitivity adjustments for the screen on the Montana 600.
The screen can be locked by tapping the power button and touching the lock in the upper left corner of the screen.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aix sponsa wrote:
Yay! Found the solution to one problem.

There are no sensitivity adjustments for the screen on the Montana 600.
The screen can be locked by tapping the power button and touching the lock in the upper left corner of the screen.

Unfortunately this is rather inconvenient if your GPS is in a case. Sad
Aix sponsa
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Unfortunately this is rather inconvenient if your GPS is in a case. Sad

Some days I wish this forum had a like button or a big thumbs up! Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: