MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Team Logging

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:46 pm    Post subject: Team Logging Reply with quote

If my wife scores a find on a virtual geocache while in Colorado and I am sitting here at home, should I log it? I am only about 95% of a purist. I know what the correct thing to do is but hey, anything it takes to get my wife involved in geocaching might be worth something.
AerosmithPA
MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If she is a part of your "team", log it. Only you can define that.

My wife has been present for well over a hundred finds, but I do all of the pre-work and logging. She does the finding and gloating. She does have her own geo-ID, which shows one find in 7 years, so if she were travelling alone and made another find, I could not log it. If your wife has no other ID than yours...it's up to you, er...her.
RyanLisaKayla
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We do it a little different than most I think. We have a team account and we work on challenges as a team, so if either one finds a cache, then it is fair game to the team account even if the other is not present. We also have our own individual accounts, but we do nothing more with them than keep track of the caches that we were each individually at (I like to keep team stats and individual stats - most importantly regarding the states we've been to and that kind of thing).

One rule we abide by strictly though: If it takes 2 of us caching in 2 different locations at the same time to complete a challenge as a "team" (for example, trying to get 100 in a day and we each go get a different 50 or something), that is blatant abuse and cheating, IMO. Besides, if we are both free and able to cache at the same time, we would rather be together anyway.

The one thing I feel a little iffy about is our "streak". As a team, we have streaked over 400 days, but we each take turns regarding whose day it is to get the cache. I fully admit this is easier than trying to accomplish such a feat on your own, but it was still a big commitment as a couple and I do think this is within fair play. It just means that none of us get to log the find individually as none of us will have completed it as an individual.

I do think your situation is a little different though. We started out doing this as a team and keeping track of individual stats was something we did nearly a year later as an afterthought. Our account clearly was even set up as a "team". What you want to do is kind of like asking my mom to grab a virtual for us while she is somewhere and all of a sudden calling her a member of our "team", since she wasn't with you from the beginning. Though, you do have a bit more leeway since she is your wife...
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most know me know I probably won't log it. But we need to stir up some chatter here. Keep the opinions coming.
team_geomonkey
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't post it - biggest piece of geocaching for me is to "see where I have been" and the cool stuff i have seen and the fun hides. I want my stats to be true to where I was physically present. the others on my team don't do any of the computer work and one broke out and created his own account -- although, he said it's too much work to log his finds.
threenow24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: Team Logging Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
I am only about 95% of a purist.

Just curious what you're doing that you don't consider yourself 100% "purist"?
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: Team Logging Reply with quote

threenow24 wrote:
bflentje wrote:

It's not necessarily what I am "doing" but what my philosophies are. More or less the only non-pure thing I don't have a problem with is the notion of "leap frogging" while doing a power trail. Not the moving of caches like on the Alien Highway, but the practice of cachers alternating and finding every other cache on a long and arduous power trail. Even the most pure will do it but not admit it out loud. Wink
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: Team Logging Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
threenow24 wrote:
bflentje wrote:

It's not necessarily what I am "doing" but what my philosophies are. More or less the only non-pure thing I don't have a problem with is the notion of "leap frogging" while doing a power trail. Not the moving of caches like on the Alien Highway, but the practice of cachers alternating and finding every other cache on a long and arduous power trail. Even the most pure will do it but not admit it out loud. Wink

That's OK if you physically SEE the cache as you go leaping by. That was a fun day on the way to MOGA last year.
AerosmithPA
MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Team Logging Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
...but the practice of cachers alternating and finding every other cache on a long and arduous power trail. Even the most pure will do it but not admit it out loud. Wink

I can't do that. Alternating, I mean.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Team Logging Reply with quote

AerosmithPA wrote:
bflentje wrote:
...but the practice of cachers alternating and finding every other cache on a long and arduous power trail. Even the most pure will do it but not admit it out loud. Wink

I can't do that. Alternating, I mean.

I've done it once or twice. But I'll never admit it out loud. Oops. Embarassed
Grey Wolf and Wild Rice
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Team Logging Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
Not the moving of caches like on the Alien Highway......

Every cache I logged on the ET Highway was individually found, signed with green ink, and the exact cache container replaced where it was found.........all 10 of them.
ST11
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally - I don't care is my position

I don't care what people do or how they do it - it's just a game and I see it as only a viable outdoor activity - log from your couch if you wish - I really don't care and I never read any of the log sheets on any of my 300 hides.
I guarantee I will never question or delete a log - I really don't care!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: