MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Recent Milestones"

View previous topic :: View next topic  
psubrian
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:22 pm    Post subject: "Recent Milestones" Reply with quote

So as silly as this seems, this has been bugging me for awhile. Can someone please explain the need to post every '100' cache milestones on the mngca site? Does anyone really care if you just hit 5300, 7200 or 9100 caches? In my mind, once you're over 1000 caches, the intervals should be every 500 (at best). Why is that? Because for those "newer" cachers, it generally takes them much longer for every 100 than it does for the veterans. I've seen some folks go on a power trail, hit 500+ caches in the weekend and then take up the next 5 spots on the website showing they hit 5100, 5200, 5300, 5400, 5500 and 5600.

Why does this even bug me? Because right now, with the rate folks post milestones at these "silly" levels, it makes "significant" milestones fall off the chart within just a few days and then really isn't noticed unless you're on the forum every single day.

Okay, I'm done with my mini rant.

I would like to hear what others think.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right, at least for me, I only cared about every 100 until I got to 1000 now I only care for 1000 increments. But those are harder to come by.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't care either way really, but I find that in most cases it still takes me just as much work to accomplish the span from 4500 to 4600 as it did to get from 300 to 400 (actually I do it slower now).
XHawk
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I post it 'cause it's there. I guess we are spoiled here in the Metro, but anybody out-state would probably appreciate these increments of 100 a lot more since there are less caches available to do.
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: "Recent Milestones" Reply with quote

psubrian wrote:
In my mind, once you're over 1000 caches, the intervals should be every 500 (at best). Why is that?

+1

I've had this very discussion with friends for years.
dornole
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree after the first thousand it's thousands .. but then I never post my finds on the site though nor do I look at other people's there. The numbers just aren't that big a deal to me. The only thing I use them for is reading logs, since a veteran cacher's "clever!" or "DNF, I think it might be missing" is often different from a relative newcomer's. Oh and to respect my betters. Smile
Red_Devil35
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I've posted a 'milestone' since 1500.
AerosmithPA
MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dornole wrote:
.. but then I never post my finds on the site though nor do I look at other people's there.

This is where I'm at too. It's just not a priority for me.
Rustynails
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stopped posting mine long ago.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be interested in hearing feedback from those that still do post the high numbers - is it important to you?
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rustynails wrote:
I stopped posting mine long ago.

I should have been clear because like Rusty, I too stopped posting here long ago. I only worry about milestones every grand and then I only mention it in the log of the cache that was the milestone. Many years back I figured out that I am the only one that cares about my stats. So a public display any place other than my official profile isn't needed for me to be happy.
RudeRat
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If someone takes the time to update their milestones every 100 caches, I have to believe it is important to them. While I don’t post mine, I do like the way it date stamps the entry and adds it to your account profile. By making an entry every 100, meaningful data is created that can show trends and other interesting stats that would be lost if only updating every 1000. There are plenty of cache stat analyzers out there, but for some cachers, our little tracking tool may be just what their looking for.

If you hit a “real” milestone, consider telling me about it in the Report your milestones thread in the MnGCA Website section instead. My guess is that more cachers would see it there anyway.

Looking at the history of this whole issue, I think we should all blame Kitch Wink
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=64037

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: