MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Needs Maintenance log question
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AustinMN
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:08 pm    Post subject: Needs Maintenance log question Reply with quote

I recently logged a NM on a cache that had clearly gone missing (the area had been worked over with a bobcat and there was nothing there). A local cacher (aparently not the owner) confirmed the missing cache and replaced it with a modified location and new coords. Among their logs they requested that the NM attribute be removed. If I delete my own NM log, will that remove the attribute (assuming mine is the only NM)?

I'm going on good faith that this cacher has done the right thing. The cache is in Kansas and I am unlikely to return to the area.

Austin
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

. If I delete my own NM log, will that remove the attribute (assuming mine is the only NM)?

no
dornole
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normally you log performed maintenance so people know it is good to go. But I think you can't do that if not the owner. Maybe he should adopt the cache if he wants to own it.
BobboTeam
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm puzzled. If he can change the hide coordinates, I should think he can also post an Owner Maintenance log, right? Or did he do that with the aid of the local reviewer, perhaps?

Unless this person is just filling in, he should do as dornole suggests and adopt the cache so he can actually assume full responsibility for it.
AustinMN
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just double checked, and all of the posts from the maintainer are just notes. The coords have not changed, but he/she posted new ones in their note.

Austin
KRedEP
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well for cachers who do a PQ, they will still get the old coords. This doesn't even sound like the same cache anymore. Seems like this should be let go. But again it's in Kansas... If it were me I'd just leave it to the locals to sort out.
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like it still needs maintenance, since the coords are wrong. I agree with KredEP, it should really be archived and a new cache created, but I wouldn't get any more involved.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pfalstad wrote:
Looks like it still needs maintenance, since the coords are wrong. I agree with KredEP, it should really be archived and a new cache created, but I wouldn't get any more involved.

This, unless the cache in question is named something like mingee, or mingle, or maybe it's mingo. Smile
MN.Fruitcake
Minnesota Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BobboTeam wrote:
Unless this person is just filling in, he should do as dornole suggests and adopt the cache so he can actually assume full responsibility for it.

Keep in mind that adopting a cache has to have the involvement of both parties (the cache owner and the person receiving the cache). There is no way around that requirement.
BobboTeam
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MN.Fruitcake wrote:
BobboTeam wrote:

Keep in mind that adopting a cache has to have the involvement of both parties (the cache owner and the person receiving the cache). There is no way around that requirement.

Absolutely. The alternative would be for this volunteer to request to have the missing and abandoned cache archived and to create a new hide of his own.
MN.Fruitcake
Minnesota Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BobboTeam wrote:
MN.Fruitcake wrote:
BobboTeam wrote:

Absolutely. The alternative would be for this volunteer to request to have the missing and abandoned cache archived and to create a new hide of his own.

That's what I usually suggest for people that want to adopt a cache where the CO is absent. It sounds like you have a good handle on things. Smile
mnfishnutz
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have run into similar caches with mystagogic's caches. We maintain them, but since we are not the official owner we cannot post the owner maintenance log. Oh well, as long as they are still out and findable.
dornole
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BobboTeam has converted me on this one. I'm posting a lot more Needs Maintenance and Needs Archived now. Especially in the Twin Cities, the cache density is so high in many places that can be hard to place a decent cache. Unless the cache in question is exceptional in some way, poor condition and non-response is a great reason to request archive and open a space for a new person to hide.

Last edited by dornole on Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
tonkaMN
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just checked my logs and am surprised that I have only logged 27 Needs Maintenance logs in the 5 years that I have been caching. I thought I did more of that. I would bet that I have replaced at least twice that many missing caches instead of logging them NM, but there is no easy way to check that. It didn't surprise me that if you ignore the NM's I've logged in the last month 73% of the caches that I logged a Needs Maintenance are now archived. You should be more reluctant to log a Needs Archived as I have seen caches that are still where they are supposed to be get archived because someone can't find it, they log a NA and the owner doesn't see the e-mail so it gets archived (Elvis is Everywhere).
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonkaMN wrote:
I just checked my logs and am surprised that I have only logged 27 Needs Maintenance logs in the 5 years that I have been caching.

Interesting. Never looked for myself either until now.

I've logged 43 Needs Maintenance and 27 Needs Archived, since March of 2006.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: