MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Who's Who in the U.S.-Dakota War of 1862

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boreal Walker
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:06 am    Post subject: Who's Who in the U.S.-Dakota War of 1862 Reply with quote

A card series put together by the Minnesota River Valley National Scenic Byway.
Tropicalloon
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link for Who's Who in the U.S.-Dakota War of 1862

Per the site:

Collect all eight cards and be eligible to purchase a special geo-coin featuring a ninth key person, a figure who was famous all along the Minnesota River Valley. ...purchase your coin from the Upper Sioux Agency State Park. Coin cost: $5

agategirl76 & I have found four of them along with Avian Series in associated parks. We're enjoying both series.

We've spoken with rangers, naturalists, etc. at various parks & have been told due to previous year's geocaching (History & Wildlife Safari) stage placement creating environmental concerns they've been instructed to place close to walking paths. Some have taken it a step further (due to district instructions) and have placed closer to parking.

Inaccurate coords have been annoying at times, but park staff we've talked to have been willing to correct in a timely fashion. We haven't had to DNF any, even when coords were off & staff wasn't available.
Tropicalloon
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry....I combined two topics into one post. They are somewhat related.
Trekkin' and Birdin'
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know when we went on a caching trip to work on DeLorme pages a couple years ago, we did many caches along this route that emphasized this part of history. I know I had ancestors who were caught up in that sad episode, so that kind of cache was of interest. Nice to see a more formal history lesson series now. Thanks for pointing it out.
Trekkin' and Birdin'
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were at Ridgley today and there weren't any cards in there. I didn't realize it was part of this challenge, bummer!

Oh crap, we were at Big Stone Lake yesterday and didn't see any in there, either. Just the bird card.
loneeagle_24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The local paper here in town (Montevideo American News) is in the process of doing a 3 part series of articles on the events leading up to and including the U.S.-Dakota War of 1862. The last part of the series should come out in this weeks paper.
Heres_Waldo
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A note on these cards... There were a couple where the Byway cards are in the same container as the Avian cards, so make sure you check the entire deck if you are pursuing both.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres_Waldo wrote:
A note on these cards... There were a couple where the Byway cards are in the same container as the Avian cards, so make sure you check the entire deck if you are pursuing both.

That was true for me at both Flandrau and Fort Ridgely.
Tropicalloon
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

4nhand & I finished the "Who's Who in the U.S.-Dakota War of 1862" series on 10-20-12. I loved this series. We headed to Upper Sioux, presented our cards & purchased the special coin. I recently discovered Essap's Bookmark list of 28 caches: Various sites in Minnesota at monuments or sites of the Dakota Conflict of 1862 and Spirit Lake in 1857. I am looking forward to visiting more of them. I'd picked up a few as agategirl76 & I cached areas around Ft. Ridgely and New Ulm on our way to the cities in early July. I am currently reading books about the conflict. Very interesting!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Park Relations All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: