MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where did you get that name?
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lyverbird
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 10:45 pm    Post subject: Where did you get that name? Reply with quote

So there is 40 below wind chill and I'm bored. Saxton asked a question that I'll repeat here, it could be to see the answers.

Where /How did you get your handle, caching name, nick name or what ever you you care to call it. I'll go first.

The ponies are in Annandale. In the barn tonight, I hope. They were when I left them. There are 2 Morgan Horses and a Tennasse Walker / Shetland cross. There used to be another Morgan, but he died quite unexpected last summer. The team name came about when we (Mom Dad and two girls) started caching and decided to always leave poinies of some kind, in caches. However the endless supply of toy poinies quickly dried up. When we find a new supply though, we do still leave them. One of our travellers games in the future will be a pony race to the trails I used to ride on in England, from the ones we ride now. We're just waiting for the state parks to let caches in. I already have dibs arranged with my local park manager.

My personal "Liverbird" name is pronounced Lyverbird. It comes from the statue birds on top of the Liver building in Liverpool, England. In England girls from Liverpool are knowen as Liverbirds. I come from a village not to far from Liverpool.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
15Tango
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you use UTM (Universal Transverse Mercantor) or MGRS (Military Grid Reference System), the world is broken down into grid zones, with numbers designating the grids east and west, and letters designating grids north and south. 15T, or one-fife-Tango in military-ese, is the grid zone designator for this area. Since navigation is essential to this sport, I wanted a name that reflected that.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two weeks out of the year I roam Ramsey County 24/7 looking for blue Lucite and $10,000.

arrive...raise heck...leave (SCSA)
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been a Neil Young fan since about 1970. My name is a character, a street-corner hustler, in an obscure song from a 1980 album that FINALLY got released on CD this past summer. I've used the name for years in the Neil Young on-line community. I've always liked it because it creates a strong, though hopefully wrong, first impression. People in this crowd, however, usually think of the Three Stooges.
towlebooth
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A play on words. Now you all know how to pronounce my last name!
DJTRACKERS
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 7:53 am    Post subject: name Reply with quote

My wife and daughter went out with me and had a good time finding Lena's
Place. When it was time to log, my wife came up with the name and I didn't have anything better, so now it is djtrackers made up of Mom, Dad
and Emily.
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

15Tango wrote:
If you use UTM (Universal Transverse Mercantor) or MGRS (Military Grid Reference System), the world is broken down into grid zones, with numbers designating the grids east and west, and letters designating grids north and south. 15T, or one-fife-Tango in military-ese, is the grid zone designator for this area. Since navigation is essential to this sport, I wanted a name that reflected that.

Dang 15T, and I thought with all of the questions about the military you were a 15T (Blackhawk Helo Mechanic). LOL

My handle Arcticabn is short for Arctic Airborne. I was a US Army Paratrooper stationed in Alaska for 5 years. Love to jump out of perfectly horrible airplanes while in flight. Loved Alaska (you either love it or hate it).

Oh and by the way I haven't seen it get cold here yet. At least not like the cold of -50F for 2 straight months.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:45 am    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

Kim used to brush her hair a 100 times a day at least so I started poking fun at her calling her Marsha from the Brady Bunch and she thought I resembled Silent Bob from the movies such as Clerks, Mall Rats, Chasing Amy, Dogma, Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, etc, because of my big beard and my long black coats...

Silent Bob
SirPoonga
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny enough, sesame street. Some episode with a mad scientist thinks he created a new animal (a rabbit) and called it a poonga. Well, as a hyper kid that described me pretty well. And it makes one nice unique online handle.
15Tango
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I originally enlisted in the Montana Army National Guard as a 91A (Combat Medic), went through ROTC and branched Infantry (11B), missed getting grandfathered in for promotion to O-3 without a degree, so I resigned, got out of the guard, and moved to Minnesota, realized I missed it, so I enlisted again, first as a 97B (Counterintel agent) but they didn't have funding to send me all the way through MOSQ so they changed me to a 96B (Intel Analyst). I'm also Airborne, but only a five-jump-chump--I went through ROTC on permissive TDY (i.e. for God and Country). Anyhow, back on topic, I was at Blockbuster earlier, and came across the Stallone movie "Tango and Cash" and since "cash" sounds like "cache", it makes my handle work on a whole different level.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Counterintel agent

OK, I'll behave now, really.

arrive...raise heck...leave (SCSA)
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

15Tango wrote:
I originally enlisted in the Montana Army National Guard as a 91A (Combat Medic), went through ROTC and branched Infantry (11B), missed getting grandfathered in for promotion to O-3 without a degree, so I resigned, got out of the guard, and moved to Minnesota, realized I missed it, so I enlisted again, first as a 97B (Counterintel agent) but they didn't have funding to send me all the way through MOSQ so they changed me to a 96B (Intel Analyst). I'm also Airborne, but only a five-jump-chump--I went through ROTC on permissive TDY (i.e. for God and Country). Anyhow, back on topic, I was at Blockbuster earlier, and came across the Stallone movie "Tango and Cash" and since "cash" sounds like "cache", it makes my handle work on a whole different level.

Hey we will have to get together for a drink and talk about old times. When did you do BAC. I was the Bn XO there in 94'95'96. I"m just South of the River.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcticabn wrote:
When did you do BAC.

This is something that shouldn't be brought up when offering to have a drink w/someone Wink

Silent Bob
Centris
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Where did you get that name? Reply with quote

WicketsWanderingPonyPatro wrote:
How did you get your handle, caching name, nick name or what ever you you care to call it

What it is??......The Centris was a Macintosh computer that came out in spring 1993 -- it was midlevel design and concept and only lasted about 6 months on the market. Confused It was one of the first of the Macs to include a CD-ROM, but it became obsolete that same year when it was renamed the Quadra and boosted to 33 MHz.

Why I have it??..... I belonged to a Mac Users Group that was focused on the classic and compact Mac computers with the 68000 through the 68030 CPU..... mostly used in the mid/late 80's. We all picked user names to post to our group... Of course all the really cool "insider" Mac nicknames and codenames were snatched up immediately and I really don't have the type of *real* name that lends itself to a nifty nickname.... so I picked Centris, even though it was based on the 68040 CPU, it was a short, easy name that nobody else had chosen, so it stuck! Rolling Eyes

Then I have found over the years that almost any website or user group I join, the name Centris is available (yes it was THAT unpopular of a name), so I started using it for most of the groups I belong to and online games I play.

...... and yes, I still have my old Plus (with it's backpack) and my old SE/30. All pieces very usable and reliable.... low tech can STILL be cool! Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marsha and Silent Bob wrote:
Arcticabn wrote:
When did you do BAC.

This is something that shouldn't be brought up when offering to have a drink w/someone Wink

Silent Bob

Secret of the Ages. And even though you just had a birthday. Your not old enough to know. Laughing Happy Birthday
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 1 of 11

Jump to: