MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Downtown caching

View previous topic :: View next topic  
georondi
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:16 pm    Post subject: Downtown caching Reply with quote

How safe is it around the Excel Energy Center at night? My daughters are going to be at a concert there, and I will have about 5 hours of downtime, so I was thinking about doing some caching, but I will be alone; plus it will be dark? Anybody have any thoughts on that?
tonkaMN
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've cached around there in the dark before and I never felt uncomfortable. I'm sure there are some unsavory characters in that part of St. Paul, but I've never seen them when out caching.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Downtown caching Reply with quote

georondi wrote:
How safe is it around the Excel Energy Center at night? My daughters are going to be at a concert there, and I will have about 5 hours of downtime, so I was thinking about doing some caching, but I will be alone; plus it will be dark? Anybody have any thoughts on that?

What day, and what time?
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's probably safer than caching around Target Center after dark.
Rustynails
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or north Minneapolis!

Two of Hearts and I were caching in the area last summer and passed through n. Mpls when we heard gun shots. Then saw people running away from that direction.
georondi
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turns out I will be able to go to the Jingle Ball with my kids after all, so I will just be grabbing a few before the concert (doors open at 5 p.) Thx. for the posts.
15Tango
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MN Rollergirls has Surly by the can and on tap, so I have to admit that I don't drive the 2 1/2 miles up West 7th from my house to Roy Wilkins (next to XCel Energy Center) and I have no problem walking there, or taking the bus at around 5-5:30, and walking home at 10-11 (in fact, at that time of night, I actually feel safer walking than taking the bus). Even though St. Paul is a metropolitan area, we still roll the streets up at around 9:30, and usually when I walk to my place, a few blocks from 7th and Randolph, from the XCel/River Center/Roy Wilkins, the only people I see at night are the smokers outside of bars - a little more of them at places like The Liffey, Patrick McGoverns, Tom Reid's, etc. but quite a few less of them the farther from the XCel I get. And if you seek the cache behind the Federal Courthouse, you will be watched by about 15 people on security cameras (at least that was was I was told when I was confronted by a Federal Marshal when I was looking for the cache there), so if you do get stabbed or shot, at least someone will have gotten a good look at the perpetrator Wink. And with winter approaching, you are less likely to see the less fortunate out panhandling, especially at night, since they also know St. Paul rolls the streets up at night. I might be a little biased since I live only a couple miles from downtown St. Paul, but I grew up in small towns in Montana, and I still have no problem walking around downtown St. Paul in the dark.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: