MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jeep 4x4 Tbugs?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MnGCA Forum Index -> Travel Bugs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well if it causes a big stink, I'll just log mine and place it in the next cache I come across. Probably only to have the next person snatch it up and keep it.... Still not worth ruffling feathers over, guess I'd be happy just being able to log one before I couldn't get a chance at one.

I guess that's assuming i get one anyways, perhaps they'll be divvied up before that, I just wanted a chance at one before they started dissapearing, and if I could to help some other people get a chance to see one/use it, all the better.
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can safetly say its going to be something that nobody knows for sure whats going to happen.....

but there is 5k YELLOW JEEPS (ALL of them are yellow)......thats 100 per state...

Most will manage to go missing... FAST! but I'm sure like SilentBob says....its just a trinket....after a while of sitting on your desk you'll put it in a cache...

Heck don't care but it really seems like the REAL JEEP OWNERS are upset or the Greedy ones.....

I'm sure S4xton would do the same thing if they are MINI's...he'd want one...and pass on the rest.....

But GoodLuck to those of you that want to KEEP one...heck I'm a paying member and I'm going to do what I want when I get my hands on them.....
(what that is....I don't even know)! But funny to discuss.
pto
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I just wanted a chance at one before they started dissapearing, and if I could to help some other people get a chance to see one/use it, all the better.

Same chance Im looking for. I forgot to say thanks for the offer tho, after you posted in back a ways. If just seeing one is all I get- Id settle for it.
Guess we'll have to see how it goes.
s4xton
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pto wrote:
It just seems that chance will be limited because of other local cachers.

Well. Maybe you're right. My guess is that unless something is stirred up with a "real goal" for these advertisements, people will just stop caring about it.

To quote Jeremy again from the geocaching.com forums, It's a "social experiment." He has just as much of an idea as we do as to the outcome of this promotion.

I'm guessing, Pto, that your calculated chances of finding a Jeep bug is possibly just as predicatable as sending a travelbug to Florida and back and having it in tact. Who knows what people will end up doing when they find them.

There will be people that want to help promote the Jeep brand and are excited about spreading the word about Jeeps, and there will be people that have just as much or more cynicism about it as people in this thread, including myself.

I'm guessing most people won't really care.

Either way, don't blame "local cachers" for their behavior. I think people have every right to do whatever they want with these Jeeps; it's geocaching.com breaking their own rules to have them in the first place.

-Aaron
s4xton
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kitch wrote:
I'm sure S4xton would do the same thing if they are MINI's...he'd want one...and pass on the rest.....

I'd be just as cynical of a bunch of MINIs sponsored by BMW going around in caches as I would Saturns or Lexuses or Ford F150s... if the purpose of them was to promote their brand, the way Jeep/Groundspeak is doing.

-Aaron
pto
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Either way, don't blame "local cachers" for their behavior. I think people have every right to do whatever they want with these Jeeps; it's geocaching.com breaking their own rules to have them in the first place.

OF course, nobody is to blame for thier behavior-Its always someone elses fault. Yes, we all have every right to do whatever we want. Since they are "breaking the rules", why should anybody else care?

I am not more upset or greedy because I am a jeep owner. Its got more to do with being a cacher in MN, and knowing how bugs work around here.
click click click
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone on #geocache on IRC just said:
Quote:

[15:02] <geo-packrat> more worried about that a bunch on Muggles will hear it wrong, adn tear apart a park looking for the 'treasure'

Interesting. I never even thought of that possibility. Another Phalen dirt pile at the bottom of a hill filled with rakes, shovels, and beer cans?
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it's that whole I don't care attitude again. Sounds about right, people tearing up an area to get their hands on one...

Not sure that'll happen though, as I'm not sure if Jeep is promoting this through regular advertising channels or not... Plus the average muggle probably doesn't have a GPS, which could be good or bad, good if they figure they don't want to waste their time looking, or bad if the decide "oh, I'll just go out and dig through the whole park, finding a tupperware container can't be that hard, especially if I bring my weedwacker"
s4xton
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But really: what is the demographic of non-geocachers that have such interest in Jeep toys that they'd go to the extent of finding their first geocache to nab one instead of paying a few bucks at a department store's toy isle?

-Aaron
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

s4xton wrote:
But really: what is the demographic of non-geocachers that have such interest in Jeep toys that they'd go to the extent of finding their first geocache to nab one instead of paying a few bucks at a department store's toy isle?

I think the point GPR was trying to make was that they might misunderstand the promotion and think they can get a real jeep w/one.
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that I can see, especially with the coke can GPS cellphone things going around, I can see a lot of people correlating those two things..
Lyverbird
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh you guys, it's easy. Folks will hold them for a while, the nvety will wear off and they will drop the in a cache.

I have a jeep, I want a jeep TB for giggles and then it will go in a out of the metro cache. I real think similar will happen to most.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
pto
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have a jeep, I want a jeep TB for giggles and then it will go in a out of the metro cache. I real think similar will happen to most.

Being on the MNGCA board gives you about a 1000% better chance of finding one than me, or any other non MNGCA member.
That was kind of my point.
s4xton
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They'll be in the same geocaches we all go to - I don't see how her chances are that much different.

I highly doubt RJ will give any preference as to what caches they're put in, if he's charged with distribution.

-Aaron
TwentySeven
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no "official membership". Just siging up on this website makes you a member. Now you have a better chance of getting a Jeep, right?

Shane
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MnGCA Forum Index -> Travel Bugs All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: