MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Winter carnival Caches
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GeoStar Family
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:45 am    Post subject: Winter carnival Caches Reply with quote

I just learned today that the St Paul Winter Carnival has a list of 10 geocaches to find in relation to the carnival. Anybody know anything more about it than that? Are these sanctioned caches? Are they temporary? Is this considered an event? I haven't seen or heard anything other than the little excerpt on the carnival page. I also see nothing about them when I search the geocaching.com website
GeoStar Family
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I figured it out and that 8 of the 10 have been published.

Cooler Crew Cachers are the ones who have hidden them and thus far 8 have been published. Find all ten, once published, fill out the form at the carnival with the code from each and be entered in to win some prizes. Dig it!

Heading out for the first 8 now!
MNMizzou
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is like last year you get a form from the Carnival "office" in downtown St Paul and either there are stamps or punches you use to verify you found the caches as far as the prizes from the Winter Carnival go... they were fun, this year may be dare I say a little easier without waist deep snow in some places! As far as the 2 caches that have not been published yet it is my understanding, and I'm sure CCC can clear it up if I'm wrong, that the list you get for the punches will have all 10 on there, it is just 2 of them are not on gc.com yet for the bonus smiley.
jrest
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For entry into the drawing through the winter carnival activities, you need to pick up a list of the ten caches from the merchandise trailer that is parked in rice park (down town St. Paul) across from the ice sculptures. It is a small "building" on one of the sidewalks inside the park (not on the street).

The list has all 10 cache coordinates. You need to complete that list, fill in the blank spot, then return it to the park when completed for entry into the drawing.

You are looking for 10 ammo cans.

Have a fun adventure.
jrest
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, with the medallion hunt going on, there have been a LOT of hunters (medallion hunters) searching for their prize. They have been really busy in Highland Park for the last few days but things seem to be shifting a bit...

I heard that cache may have moved a bit, but not real sure.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.winter-carnival.com/_asset/nqsfy9/geocache.pdf
GeoStar Family
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got it all figured out. Found 5 of the 8 listed prior to having to wrap it up. Got the list from the trailer in Rice Park yesterday also. Will complete the 10 by weeks end. Thanks for the help.

I wasn't in Minnesota last year. I was working in the oil fields, so I had no clue about previous versions of this.

Loving the idea of it all though!
BananaForce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will the two that are not on GC.com eventually be published, or will those remain non GC.com caches?
kc9gbo
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, after reading the Pioneer Press article today and seeing them out with shovels and rakes I have to question how our activity impacts as much as the medallion hunt does? And, after having lost a cache to a similar hunt here in the LaCrosse area how many caches end up disappearing?
Rustynails
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kc9gbo wrote:
So, after reading the Pioneer Press article today and seeing them out with shovels and rakes I have to question how our activity impacts as much as the medallion hunt does? And, after having lost a cache to a similar hunt here in the LaCrosse area how many caches end up disappearing?

I know one that may be gone, http://coord.info/GC2XTXE

I was out with the Monday Morning Caching Crew and we found all the Winter Carnival caches exept this one. We left a temporary replacement and a couple of us emailed KB. We belive medallion hunters got to this one.
Rustynails
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rustynails wrote:
kc9gbo wrote:

I was out with the Monday Morning Caching Crew and we found all the Winter Carnival caches exept this one. We left a temporary replacement and a couple of us emailed KB. We belive medallion hunters got to this one.

I just posted a Needs Maintenance on it. KB has been silent on this so far. I wonder what happened to him?
Draconisdax
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rustynails wrote:
Rustynails wrote:
kc9gbo wrote:

I just posted a Needs Maintenance on it. KB has been silent on this so far. I wonder what happened to him?

I hear he was attacked by a rabbid Winter Carnival participant while on the hunt for the medalian...
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are not KB caches. I do not own them. There is a separate account. The Reviewers know this.

There are 5-7 MnGCA members and a couple casual cachers involved in this project.

Notifications go to the Cooler Crew Cachers profile account. Maybe a half dozen people have access to that. A couple were out of town for the majority of the first week.

Most of us are strongly focused on the Medallion Hunt during whatever free time we have. I am off work for the entire twelve (or less) days of the hunt. I don't check my email (much) and I never access the Cooler Crew Cachers account.

Highland was a strong favorite early during the hunt. I heard from doublemoose about a problem there, but he explained the cache to the people they saw.

Many caches were signed by hunters and replaced. I doubt that many caches disappeared before Monday. As the Hunt continued into the final days, a different type of 'hunter' appeared.

This is a very difficult Challenge. Can any of you find 10 places in the metro (Ramsey County, Saint Paul) to hide ammo boxes? The Winter Carnival requested easier hides, in family-friendly locations this year. Last year we hid ten caches, and retrieved ten caches. If we only lost one during the Medallion Hunt, I'm happy with that.

The unpublished caches: One is too close to a puzzle final, which I failed to consider. The other site was too close to a new bobcam hide (he had an older GC#)

Nothing will be done until the Winter Carnival ends on Sunday. I have "tried" to find locations far enough away, but I'm not putting any more time into it. If anyone else on the team is motivated, the caches may be published.

I'd like to thank everyone who has donated time for these two Winter Carnival Challenges AND the MnGCA for prize donations. We've provided a lot of fun for a lot of families.
A-body
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Rustynails"]
kc9gbo wrote:

I wondered also if all the park rules are suspended during the hunt. According to the paper, it was found between 1 and 2 am. I believe most Ramsey County parks close 1/2 hour after sunset
Mrs. Mizzou
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Winter Carnival caches were tough last year. I can see wanting some easier terrains to have families involved (although all of them from last year would have been easier this year without the snow and five layers of clothes). But it's true - it's difficult to find quality areas in the metro to hide that isn't too close to a segment of another cache. I certainly appreciate all those who make the effort to continue to hide in the metro. I've been to a lot of parks I wouldn't have otherwise known about.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: