MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Opencaching.com

View previous topic :: View next topic  
georondi
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:30 pm    Post subject: Opencaching.com Reply with quote

How many people are members of opencaching.com? I am asking to see if it is worth my while to import all my finds and hides. If there are a significant number who use this website for downloading published caches, then I will be more than happy to do it. Otherwise, not.
AerosmithPA
MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not. Unless things have changed at opencaching, I decided I liked geocaching.com because of the approval process, where guidelines are in place to help keep the game a positive thing as far as relations to the general public goes.

With only using one site for my caching, I find there is still plenty of caches for me to find.
A-body
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never looked at it, probably never will
tonkaMN
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I signed up solely so that someone else couldn't use my name. I've never hidden or found a cache on opencaching
Hunter-Killer
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonkaMN wrote:
I signed up solely so that someone else couldn't use my name. I've never hidden or found a cache on opencaching

Ditto
georondi
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still following all posts. I know that Groundspeak has. by far, the most registered caches. I just sort of came across opencaching and wondered about it. Thanks for all the replies and keep 'em coming!
Captain and Mate
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonkaMN wrote:

Same here.
JJnTJ
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, Opencaching.com doesn't really bring anything that GC.com doesn't already have. I've got one hide and several finds on that site. All but one are cross-posted caches where I've copied-and-pasted my GC.com log.

I find OC.com to be visually ugly. Cache pages are boring and plain because they don't allow much customization. The submission and review process is unpleasant.

The most important difference is the review process. GC.com reviewers are familiar with the rules and restrictions of land managers in their area. So "infringing" caches are much less likely to be published, which means better press for our hobby. Apparently OC.com has what I call "cluster reviewing", which requires several volunteers to look over a cache and approve it. It's slow.

As far as I understand it, Opencaching was an organization that created several free-to-use and not-for-profit sites (like opencaching.us) as an alternative to GC.com. Later, Garmin launched opencaching.com, which is still free-to-use but decidedly for-profit. It confused a lot of people who naturally think opencaching.us and opencaching.com are related.

I don't know what sand got into Garmin's nether regions that made them cut ties with GC.com and strike out on their own, but I really don't like the way they did it.
X51hz
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The review process is very biased also, if someone doesn't care for a type of cache and gets enough to side with them it won't get published even if it is a good hide and goes by there rules.
georondi
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few posts got me wondering as to why you would create an account to protect your user name or prevent someone from using it on opencaching.com?
BigChiefS4
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There have been instances where someone creates an account that matches your Geocaching.com username and then lists your caches under that name, all without you knowing about it.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is HUGE demand for bflentje. I just had to protect it.
former hawkeye
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I opened an account for 2 reasons.
1. To protect my caching name.
2. After I was contacted by a fellow cacher that wanted someone to find his virtual. I did, so I'm 1/1 in the FTF column Laughing .
I was able to do some other geocaching caches on my run too.
XHawk
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read this the other day, thought about it, and did the same thing. Will I ever use it? Probably not.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: