MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Joint Event with Wisconsin
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mrs. Mizzou
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:13 pm    Post subject: Joint Event with Wisconsin Reply with quote

The Wisconsin Geocaching Association (WGA) has expressed an interest in holding a combined event in the spring. Shocked

Below is some information forwarded to me about previous events. I am looking for two things from the MnGCA: 1) the number of people who would be interested in attending May 17-19, 2013, and 2) volunteers to help plan, organize, and keep the event running.

Quote:
First some background.

The first WGA Campout event was held on the weekend of May 17, 2002 at Gov. Dodge State Park. We normally reserve a group campsite for the weekend, as well as a shelter. The group site(s) usually fill up, but many prefer to rent their own individual site. There is usually a campfire social at the group site where everyone is welcome.

Some traditions have faded, but a few have remained since the first event. The night caches have been one of the favorite parts of the events. Some of the past night caches have included lights, animated objects, ghosts, UFOs and sound among other things. Most of the caches would not be possible as "real" geocaches. The possibilities are limited only by imagination.

Another long standing tradition is our Sunday morning pancake breakfast. The WGA BOD serves up all-you-can-eat pancakes and sausage to all comers.

Since the WGA no longer places "temp" caches, we have been recruiting local cachers to place a number of new caches in and around the parks we are at. Depending on the local talent, it might be possible to log a seven cache type day.

Depending on what our comittee members come up with, we ususally have the standard event games such as the flag game and BINGO. We've also had fishing contests, photo contests, and anything else to keep things fun.

In 2013, the WGA Campout event will be held at Interstate Park. The proposed dates are May 17-19. As of right now, little planning has been done. We are anxiously waiting to hear ideas from your planners to make this event a huge success for both of our organizations.

Brian (Team Black-Cat)
VP/Webmaster
Wisconsin Geocaching Association
TeamBlueNorge
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a combined event is a great idea we'd tentatively plan to attend. I also spoke with some family who happen to be members of the WGA who also sounded excited about the idea.
JimandLinda
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey MN Geocachers!

I'm Jim of JimandLinda, President of the WGA. I've been looking for a reason for the past 10 years to visit Interstate Park. I roamed the grounds there for a day or 2 that long ago, and it is an amazing place!

The WGA Campout moves around the Badger State each year and NW Wisconsin was next in line. Being so close to our MN neighbors, it was hard NOT to invite you over for the fun!

As Brian, our VP, posted above, the schedule can be full, or you can use the weekend just to relax or socialize. You don't need to camp to attend. I DON'T CAMP! But I'll be there for a couple days when the sun is up, and I'm looking forward to meeting many new faces from our friends to the west.
Red_Devil35
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would definitely be interested in attending; I haven't yet visited that park, but I've heard good things. Camping...maybe. We might have a camper by then...and it depends on a few things.
KRedEP
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got it on the calendar.
Team Black-Cat
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The shelter and group campsite reservations have been made. We (the WGA) have two events between now and May, but planning is moving ahead for this one.
One idea that's being considered for this event is a dutch oven cookoff. If this sounds interesting, or if there is something that you think would make this an even better event, just post it here.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
One idea that's being considered for this event is a dutch oven cookoff. If this sounds interesting

Let's see if I get censored:

A friend says:

Code:
heck yeah! They have great Events over there.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC43KW0
Team Black-Cat
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that was quick! I just stopped in to post a link to the event page. Thanks KB!
RyanLisaKayla
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're booked! Very Happy
Looking forward to it!! Very Happy
camp hiker
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:42 am    Post subject: Combined event Reply with quote

I would definately plan on going. I went to the MNGCA event last year in Kensington and had a great time! Interstate isn't too far away for me either.
Team Black-Cat
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rules have been posted on the cache page for the Dutch Oven cookoff. Please check that out if you are planning on that. It will be held at one of the group campsites.
The Interstate Tug-O-War should be a lot of fun. The rest of this event is intended to be in the spirit of our two associations working together but the tug-o-war will be all out Wisconsin vs Minnesota, MnGCA vs WGA, Packers vs Vikings, Gophers vs. Badgers... Be sure to wear your colors.
Mrs. Mizzou
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you taking applications for judges for the Dutch Oven cookoff?

This is shaping up to be an AWESOME event!
RudeRat
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Team Black-Cat wrote:
the tug-o-war will be all out Wisconsin vs Minnesota, MnGCA vs WGA, Packers vs Vikings, Gophers vs. Badgers... Be sure to wear your colors.
Hmmmmm, might need to defect for this. I wonder what Lauren will do. Any others struggling with where their loyalties lie?
Rustynails
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will this event replace the MnGCA spring event? Is there a MnGCA spring event being planned?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: