MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Geocaching in MnDOT Rest Stops

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:36 pm    Post subject: Geocaching in MnDOT Rest Stops Reply with quote

Geocaching has been permitted in MnDOT Rest Stops for some time (with an official written policy on their website). Well, they have just recently updated their policy requiring registration and limiting each Rest Area to one cache.

Please view the policy and registration requirements here: http://www.dot.state.mn.us/restareas/policies/policies.html#geocaching

Quote:
Geocaching, Letterboxing and the Degree Confluence Project Policy

These activities are allowed in Mn/DOT rest areas, unless specifically excluded in this policy.

1. Players placing caches must register the cache location with Mn/DOT. Register.
2. Mn/DOT will permit no more than one cache per rest area at one time.
3. Caches must not contain offensive, dangerous, or illegal items.
4. Players are subject to applicable laws, ordinances and agency policies including hours of operation, designated uses, maintenance standards and natural resources management activities.
5. Placement or gaining access to caches is restricted to within 25 feet of trails and walks and must not require disturbance of the rest area site.
6. Mn/DOT retains the right to remove, or have removed, a cache it feels is in an inappropriate location, causing undo impact on the habitat, conflicting with rest area use and maintenance, or is not registered with Mn/DOT.
7. Caches are not allowed in environmentally, culturally or historically sensitive areas.

Exceptions

Mn/DOT does not allow caches in the following rest areas or waysides:

1. Camp Release Wayside
2. Cold Spring Wayside

Paklid
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I'd like to see the MnGCA work with the DOT to see if we can eliminate the 25 foot rule. The registration process looks easy to me, and though the "one cache" rule is more restrictive than what groundspeak does with proximity, that doesn't bother me that much.

(edited by Paklid to get to the point a little faster)
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
though the "one cache" rule is more restrictive than what groundspeak does with proximity

it sucks

Quote:
that doesn't bother me that much.

you don't have any RA caches out there

Quote:
The registration process looks easy to me,

I'll get back to ya on that ...
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm assuming I was the first to discover this, and got my registration(s) sent in first. Hope Pear Head got his in.
dmnrec
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the rest stops that already have more than one?
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

King Boreas wrote:
I'm assuming I was the first to discover this, and got my registration(s) sent in first. Hope Pear Head got his in.

I sent my registration in last week but haven't heard back yet.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KB (or anyone else who submitted a registration), did you receive a response back from MnDOT yet?

I sent mine in on Sept 28th and immediately received an automated response back saying that my email had been received and that I should hear back from Rob Williams, MnDOT's Safety Rest Area Program Manager, on or before the next business day.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmnrec wrote:
What about the rest stops that already have more than one?

The way I read the rules, the first one registered gets to stay. After that:

Code:
6. Mn/DOT retains the right to remove, or have removed, a cache it feels is in an inappropriate location, causing undo impact on the habitat, conflicting with rest area use and maintenance, or is not registered with Mn/DOT.

In the end, nothing will probably happen as I don't personally see MnDOT finding and removing the offending caches, although their policy allows them to.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the same immediate response. I noted that he only works a half day on Friday, so I assumed I'd hear something on Monday.

It's now LATE Wednesday.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'm just going to let it ride. The policy requires that we send the email - it doesn't require a conversation with the guy beyond that. I got a receipt that I sent the email - that will be good enough for me.

In the end I'd like to hear from him but can live without.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a reply today from a Rest Area Program Manager thanking me for registering with them in accordance with the policy (and a note apologizing for the delay in responding).
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was having issues with my Get Spooked #9 cache which was located on the former weigh station property in Rosemount, at the corner of highway 3 and 170th Street, which is now a rest area. The Dakota County Sheriff Department was aggressively running people off this property claiming it was posted.

It is NOT posted and I contacted the state about the issue and here is the response that I got in return:

==============================
Hello Mr. Flentje,

Thank you for bringing the situation to our attention.

I contacted the Dakota County Sheriff's Office regarding your email message. Yesterday, in response to my discussions with them, I received a voice message stating that the Sheriff's Office plans to inform their officers not to ask visitors using the site as a rest area to leave. That is unless the visitors have exceeded the six-hour time restriction or otherwise defied other rest area policies.

Please contact me if you have similar problems in the future.

Take care,
Rob Williams

==================================

Other emails took place between him and I and it WAS determined this property is available for geocaching under the state's rest area geocaching guidelines.

Too bad my cache was removed a few weeks back after the Sheriff threatened to arrest me for even being on the property. Oh well, maybe someone else wants to use this spot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Park Relations All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: