MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cache Guidelines page

View previous topic :: View next topic  
towlebooth
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2003 1:05 pm    Post subject: Cache Guidelines page Reply with quote

Check out the new page on the main site that details our group's guidelines for environmentally friendly geocaching. It also links to the various government/park system rules, regulations, and prohibitions. These links will be updated as the rules go online (most are currently in progress).

http://www.mngca.org/guidelines.php

Edit by PH to remove stickyness

Last edited by towlebooth on Mon Apr 25, 2005 5:26 am; edited 2 times in total
kleiner
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2003 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just happened to bump into an interesting statement on the DNR current conditions page. www.dnr.state.mn.us/current_conditions/index.html? Look at the part about snowshoeing in parks and forests.
LanceVE
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2003 3:13 pm    Post subject: You mean this? Reply with quote

Quote:
From DNR Link cited above:

Snowshoe Notes

All Minnesota State Parks and Forests are open and available for snowshoeing activities. Snowshoe trekkers can blaze their own trails in the park or forest and are not confined to a particular area or trail. Please note, however, that you may not snowshoe on groomed ski and snowmobile trails. Some state parks have cleared trails for snowshoe use. Call ahead to make sure they have "packed" snowshoe trails if a designated trail is important to you.
EelSid
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 9:41 pm    Post subject: Snowshoes Reply with quote

What if we propose to them that we wear snowshoes when we are geocaching? Heck, we can even do it in the summer! Because everyone knows that the bigger the feet the less pounds per square inch of pressure, so when snowshoed feet tromp through the undergrowth they just break it down and crush it gently!
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any precedent for calling "dibs" on a park? Very Happy

Moe the Sleaze
MNSledHead
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 10:57 pm    Post subject: Must Be A First! Reply with quote

I can't believe the DNR would actually allow anyone to travel <gasp> off of a designated trail! Wouldn't this create issues with respect to "visitor safety" and "staff workloads" as they said geocaching did? Smells like a double standard to me!
crizyal
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 10:15 pm    Post subject: Be carfull what you say, they might be listening. Reply with quote

I agree with all that is said on this page, but I also think that if a diolog is started with the premis that the Parks Dept. has created a double standard we will surely be crippled in our efforts to educate them Rolling Eyes
goucher
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 2:17 pm    Post subject: National Park Service Land Reply with quote

Question I placed a cache in a park that has a sign that says it is a City of Sandstone park, but it also had National Park Service on the sign. Where can I check if this will be ok to list, and who do a speak with...the city of Sandstone, or the National Park Service? Question
bobhiker
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know there is a National Park Visitors Center at the Pipestone National Monument. Maybe someone there would know of the conection with the National Park Service and the city of Sandstone. Let us know what happens.
15Tango
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The NPS administers National Parks, like Yellowstone, as well as National Monuments, like Pipestone, Devil's Tower, etc. and National Scenic Waterways, like St. Croix, and I believe the same cache guidelines apply to all three--no physical caches, and virtuals if you can jump through all the hoops gc.com has put in place to get virtuals approved.
towlebooth
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

15Tango wrote:
The NPS administers National Parks, like Yellowstone, as well as National Monuments, like Pipestone, Devil's Tower, etc. and National Scenic Waterways, like St. Croix, and I believe the same cache guidelines apply to all three--no physical caches, and virtuals if you can jump through all the hoops gc.com has put in place to get virtuals approved.

Having virtual'd my way through Rushmore, Devil's Tower, the badlands, Wounded Knee, Little Bighorn, Grand Teton, Yellowstone, Glacier, Big Hole and others in the last three weeks with the lovely Jillibean, I can confirm that the above is true for all National Park land, be it National Park, N. Battlefield, N. Monument, N. Trail, N. Scenic Waterway, ect.

Assume the same is true for all National forests/grasslands until you hear different (virtuals only). In Minnesota's case local geocachers have corresponded with the Superior National Forest and have gotten an approval process for limited numbers of traditional caches. See the guidelines page mentioned above for details.

Virtaul geocaching has it's place - and one of those is in our beautiful national parks.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After receiving a copy of the Detroit Lakes Geocaching Policy (*very* similar to the Duluth Policy) via fax from onion pond, I posted it on the guidelines page which links to the copy here: http://www.mngca.org/detroitlakes.php
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pelican Rapids has a great policy in place now:

http://www.pelicanrapids.com/index.asp?Type=B_BASIC&SEC=%7BC2C033BE-16F0-471D-88AC-C0F9BA46C1BE%7D&DE=

We'll get it posted to the cache guidelines page shortly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Park Relations All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: