MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Favorite Points
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
georondi
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:13 pm    Post subject: Favorite Points Reply with quote

I love the favorite points, and I think that hiders should get favorite points also, especially since it is harder to hide than find. How about 1 favorite point for every 5 hides (retroactive)?
Draconisdax
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Favorite Points Reply with quote

georondi wrote:
I love the favorite points, and I think that hiders should get favorite points also, especially since it is harder to hide than find. How about 1 favorite point for every 5 hides (retroactive)?

I would sell you mine if I could...I just don't use them all that much...maybe in 2013 I will make a resolution to award them more often...
A-body
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would you do with favorite points for hides? Probably the same thing you can do with souvenirs - nothing.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A-body wrote:
What would you do with favorite points for hides? Probably the same thing you can do with souvenirs - nothing.

What can you do with smilies? (nothing)
IBcrashen
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to like the favorite points but with *&&#@^?% using them to mark there FTF they have become meaningless and useless to others. Suppose there is a chance that they do actually deserves a point but most of them that I have visited dont.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IBcrashen wrote:
I used to like the favorite points but with *&&#@^?% using them to mark there FTF they have become meaningless and useless to others. Suppose there is a chance that they do actually deserves a point but most of them that I have visited dont.

Yep. And the lack of use is just as irritating. But since it's all a matter of opinion, can't say much.
RudeRat
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have received over 300 favorite points from different cachers. All I can say is thanks, Iím glad you like them.
JJnTJ
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's the best system possible, which is not the same as saying it's a great system.

Overall, I think they work well enough. I give them out to caches where I had a fun experience (fun puzzle, nice location, good write-up, really memorable find experience, etc.), and I think most people are doing the same. Good caches are standing out from mediocre ones.

I hope one day Groundspeak follows through on its plan to let us search by the ratio of favorite points to Premium Member finds. They make more sense in that light.
Rustynails
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JJnTJ wrote:
I think it's the best system possible, which is not the same as saying it's a great system.

Overall, I think they work well enough. I give them out to caches where I had a fun experience (fun puzzle, nice location, good write-up, really memorable find experience, etc.), and I think most people are doing the same. Good caches are standing out from mediocre ones.

I hope one day Groundspeak follows through on its plan to let us search by the ratio of favorite points to Premium Member finds. They make more sense in that light.

You can search for favorites. Just do your PQ. Then look at your list. Click at the top over favorites and it will sort them out, high favorite to low favorites.

I do it all the time to seek out top favorites in the area I plan to cache.
EPMinnesota
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JJnTJ wrote:

The downside of that is that it's a newer system and unless people went back and favorited still active caches they found before the program started it wouldn't be very accurate.
georondi
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I became a Premium Member, I received favorite points retroactively. Then I went back to all my found caches, read the logs which spurred my memory of them, and awarded favorite points. I think it is a great system to let people know what the great caches are, and I love awarding them. I have a backlog of caches that I would like to award points to.
schmittfamily
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have an ethical question on favorite points - when a cache is archived do people remove that cache from their favorite list? We commonly target favorited caches and as a result are constantly out of favorite points to award (our top 10% caches by favorite have 23 or more favorite points each). Is it kosher to stretch our favorite points by trying to keep it to active caches only or is it better to keep the favorites on the archived cache for historical purposes?
tonkaMN
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

schmittfamily wrote:
We have an ethical question on favorite points - when a cache is archived do people remove that cache from their favorite list? We commonly target favorited caches and as a result are constantly out of favorite points to award (our top 10% caches by favorite have 23 or more favorite points each). Is it kosher to stretch our favorite points by trying to keep it to active caches only or is it better to keep the favorites on the archived cache for historical purposes?

I have close to 300 favorite points that I could give you if only I knew how to transfer them. I don't see what is wrong with removing favorite points from caches that are archived. They really don't matter once a cache is archived.
dmnrec
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EPMinnesota wrote:
JJnTJ wrote:

The downside of that is that it's a newer system and unless people went back and favorited still active caches they found before the program started it wouldn't be very accurate.

That's a good idea...I have about 25 favorites to award and there are quite a few before the program started that I would give them to.
RyanLisaKayla
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

schmittfamily wrote:

The only reason I would keep a favorite point on an archived cache is if it was something particularly special that we really wanted to keep memory of in our favorites list. Otherwise, if we awarded a favorite point simply because it was a well put together cache or something, then I will redistribute the point once that cache is archived, because we are constantly running out too and I try to award a favorite point to 1 out of every 10 caches that we do, unless we are doing a power trail or something, then we built up more of a supply of them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: