MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jay Cooke
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jackrabbitgrad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
Jackrabbitgrad wrote:
It would be nice if they made an alternate cache for the time being that could house the bird cards (maybe the nearest state park). If they cards are already made up and the biome puzzle is already complete (in which you need all the bird cards to solve apparently), then they need to have a way to get them out to people. Have this alternate work as your temporary solution and reinstate the previous (or improved) multi at Jay Cooke when the park reopens. This solves your problem for the people who are working on the series right now and still allows the park to remain part of the series and to invite geocachers back in when the park reopens. I don't know why you would simply give up the park and toss the bird cards.

But what do you gain by finding the Jay Cooke cache at another State Park? You didn't visit the park, which to me is the whole point of the cache. If it's just about finding another cache then there are tons of them out there.

Also, the longer you wait before acting, the more people this will affect.

To complete the series... as the biome final incorporates the bird cards from all of the parks in the biome to solve the puzzle to get the coordinates. Yes, it would be nice to see the park, I've never been there... but if they have the cards made up and I need it to finish the series, why not make it available? I didn't get to see Garden Island this time around, unfortunately, but I still had the chance to get the alternate so I can hopefully finish the series.

It has nothing to do with just finding another cache... if that was the case, I would just stay out here in South Dakota and cache Watertown.

Edit: And believe it or not, some actually just enjoy the bird card, as it is educational. I know my nephew enjoys taking my book and looking at the cards over and over.... so it would be nice to have the full set. Which I guess is beside the point.
Heres_Waldo
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finding Jay Cooke at the nearest state park is no different than the Garden Island alternate at Zippel Bay... Makes sense to me, to just temporarily move it until the park is officially open again.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jackrabbitgrad wrote:

To complete the series... as the biome final incorporates the bird cards from all of the parks in the biome to solve the puzzle to get the coordinates.

I'm sure in the event that the Jay Cooke cache were archived that the need for that card would somehow be excused.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
But what do you gain by finding the Jay Cooke cache at another State Park?

The Jay Cooke trading card.
Boreal Walker
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are three places to access Jay Cooke state park from the south. You currently are not legally allowed even on this side of the river. One road for sure had some damage, the one out of Wrenshall is still good. If the cache is out of comission for a long period of time. The cache could be moved here. The DNR could place it at the gate or a short distance into the woods. It is safe at the point with no damage to the park.

If the park plans to reopen in October, wait it out. They went through an ordeal and are doing the best they can to fix the park so everyone can enjoy it. Jay Cooke is a great park to visit and worth the wait.

If you really need the Biome final, try brute force. It cannot be that hard to figure out the coords with only one missing card.
loneeagle_24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

after this weekend i should only have about 4-5 caches (this would include Jay Cooke, both at Savanah portage and the final for the state) to get to be completely done with the series. so the sooner the better they figure out what they are going to do with Jay Cooke.
andrewmcc
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, I am wondering why I am not getting notifications on this post.
loneeagle_24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sort of waiting on Jay Cooke to reopen now to be able to complete the series. Of all the caches so far the SW part of the state to me is by far the easiest (worst) depending on how you look at it. most of barely if at all even got you out of the parking lot. Overall i would have to say the NE corner was the most fun for me other than a couple random ones in other places.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

loneeagle_24 wrote:
I'm sort of waiting on Jay Cooke to reopen now to be able to complete the series. Of all the caches so far the SW part of the state to me is by far the easiest (worst) depending on how you look at it. most of barely if at all even got you out of the parking lot. Overall i would have to say the NE corner was the most fun for me other than a couple random ones in other places.

Finished SW myself this last weekend and thought the hides were lame considering the potential. Is this the best we can do?
loneeagle_24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
loneeagle_24 wrote:

Finished SW myself this last weekend and thought the hides were lame considering the potential. Is this the best we can do?

Like I was telling others at some of the events I've been to. The Officer who was in charge of the SW part of the state really limited them to where they could place the caches, thus making them all nearly PNG caches. It sounds like the guy has gotten a promotion so maybe the next time they have a series the caches will be much improved.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/event/article/id/242044/publisher_ID/36/
andrewmcc
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not gotten the official word yet but it seems that the Parks are going to keep the Jay Cooke cache disabled until the park is open sometime in October.
We have been working with the park staff trying to work out a way to do this and at this point it seems waiting would be the best option.

Thanks to eskoclimber for heeding the call for help and consulting with the park!

Thanks for your patients
loneeagle_24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrewmcc wrote:
I have not gotten the official word yet but it seems that the Parks are going to keep the Jay Cooke cache disabled until the park is open sometime in October.
We have been working with the park staff trying to work out a way to do this and at this point it seems waiting would be the best option.

Thanks to eskoclimber for heeding the call for help and consulting with the park!

Thanks for your patients

any updates on when they will open the park??
andrewmcc
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

loneeagle_24 wrote:
andrewmcc wrote:

Thanks for your patients

any updates on when they will open the park??

Not that I have heard...give em a call.
AerosmithPA
MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay Cooke is open!

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/state_parks/jay_cooke/index.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Park Relations All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: