MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Importing precision geometry from Autocad.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PCC322
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Importing precision geometry from Autocad. Reply with quote

I have AutoCAD 2000 at home. It's completely legal and registered to me. I am comfortable creating all kinds of geometry in it, and would like to do some mapping in preparation to placing caches to avoid getting too close to others before I head out. Is there any way to convert DWG or DXF to KMZ?
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Importing precision geometry from Autocad. Reply with quote

PCC322 wrote:
I have AutoCAD 2000 at home. It's completely legal and registered to me. I am comfortable creating all kinds of geometry in it, and would like to do some mapping in preparation to placing caches to avoid getting too close to others before I head out. Is there any way to convert DWG or DXF to KMZ?

What's your end goal with the data? To be able to map existing caches, or ...?
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't it be easier to run a PQ of the area and load them into your GPS as a different kind of icon? That's what I do.
jrest
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know anything about this site, but here is one converter option http://convert-dwg-to-kml.fyxm.net/

Looks like this one first runs the DXF through ExpertGPS, then converts to a KML... http://www.expertgps.com/dxf-kml.asp

Looks like there are a lot of options out there, I just googled convert DWG or DXF to KMZ..

Good luck
MNMizzou
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrest wrote:
I don't know anything about this site, but here is one converter option http://convert-dwg-to-kml.fyxm.net/

Looks like this one first runs the DXF through ExpertGPS, then converts to a KML... http://www.expertgps.com/dxf-kml.asp

Looks like there are a lot of options out there, I just googled convert DWG or DXF to KMZ..

Good luck

I understood Google. Oh and good luck.
Boreal Walker
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The GSAK macro I use is called KMLCircles. You'll need Google earth installed. Filter your database for the caches in the area you would like to hide a cache. Then run the macro. It will open up Google Earth and draw 0.10 mile red circles around each cache so you know ahead of time where the holes are located. You will still need to load your GPS with the appropriate caches to verify in the field that you are in the correct location.
PCC322
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boreal Walker wrote:
The GSAK macro I use is called KMLCircles. You'll need Google earth installed. Filter your database for the caches in the area you would like to hide a cache. Then run the macro. It will open up Google Earth and draw 0.10 mile red circles around each cache so you know ahead of time where the holes are located. You will still need to load your GPS with the appropriate caches to verify in the field that you are in the correct location.

I like this approach. I need one more thing: How do you put in proposed caches from another cacher so you can cooperate and get them all plunked in?
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boreal Walker wrote:

If you host the kml file on the internet then you can also display it on Google Maps. I did this a couple of years ago with Google Maps on my phone and was able to walk around and see where I was in relation to the circles. Very handy.
PCC322
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all those who replied. I found an on line converter. http://acadconverter.chrismichaelis.com/v2012/.
The hitch is that everything in KML is in Lat-Lon coordinates which, of course, aren't equal except along the equator. That means that circles drawn in AutoCAD will project onto Google Earth as ellipses, and you can't do the kind of geometry solutions I was thinking of that way. The drawing would have to be in UTM, and then converted, or projected point by point to Lat-Lon before sending up for conversion. A tedious job at best.
PCC322
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boreal Walker wrote:

That's a big help. What if there are just coords, and not caches yet?
Boreal Walker
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PCC322 wrote:
Boreal Walker wrote:

You can create your own entries in GSAK. I am going off of memory since I do no have the program in front of me; but under the Waypoint tab, you can select add and create a new waypoint. I have done this when working in Oxbow and dropping a bunch of caches at once to verify our work once I got home.
PCC322
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boreal Walker wrote:
PCC322 wrote:
Boreal Walker wrote:

You can create your own entries in GSAK. I am going off of memory since I do no have the program in front of me; but under the Waypoint tab, you can select add and create a new waypoint. I have done this when working in Oxbow and dropping a bunch of caches at once to verify our work once I got home.

Fabulous! Last piece of the puzzle, and it did the trick for me. I also learned a bit more about GSAK. It is actually very powerful with the macro capability.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: