MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kanabec Sportmens Fair (Aug 25) looking for help

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tnthekids
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:48 pm    Post subject: Kanabec Sportmens Fair (Aug 25) looking for help Reply with quote

I am working with the Mora Chamber of Commerce and Girl Scouts to offer a geocaching station at the Kanabec Sportmen's Fair on August 25 (Mora area). If anyone is available to help out would be great. I will be setting out the temporary caches, putting everything together and obtaining the GPSrs for participants.

We need someone willing to talk about what geocaching is to kids/families, teach them how to use the GPS and get them out into the field finding the caches. That's it.

If you or anyone you know can help out, please let me know as soon as possible.

Terry (tnthekids)
Mrs. Mizzou
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know what the hours would be? I'm trying to see how much I can fit into one road trip.
tnthekids
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mrs. Mizzou wrote:
Do you know what the hours would be? I'm trying to see how much I can fit into one road trip.

Session 1: 10-11:30 (I would do this one)
Session 2: 1:00-2:30
Session 3: 3:30-5:00

If you could do even the last session I would be forever indebted. I would have the entire program outlined and we have a bunch of eTrex units to use. I would take care of set up and clean up.

Basically this is what I envision: This will be advertised as an "all ages" session with adult supervision required. For the first 15 minutes or so we would talk about what geocaching is and then go into having instruction on how to use the eTrex. Then send groups out to find the caches (not sure how many I will have yet). Each of the caches would have a stamp in it and they would stamp their "passport" at each cache. Once complete, they would return to the station to claim their prize (I think she's getting something from Oriental Trading or similar for kids). Collect the GPS units and send them on their way.

The number of people in each group would depend on each session size. I think we will have 10+ GPS units so the groups should be hopefully "family" size.

Terry
Mrs. Mizzou
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to do a little learning on the eTrex, but I should be able to do the afternoon (and still have breakfast in Aitkin). Sounds like a fun time - I hope the four-year-old agrees now that I've committed him to this as well.
tnthekids
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mrs. Mizzou wrote:
I'll have to do a little learning on the eTrex, but I should be able to do the afternoon (and still have breakfast in Aitkin). Sounds like a fun time - I hope the four-year-old agrees now that I've committed him to this as well.

Awesome!!! You are a life saver! Do you need any more info from me? You can email me at tnthekids@gmail.com. Thank you!! Terry
Mrs. Mizzou
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where am I supposed to go? Is there someone specific I'm supposed to meet? Is there a max on the fun we are allowed to have!!!
tnthekids
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mrs. Mizzou wrote:
Where am I supposed to go? Is there someone specific I'm supposed to meet? Is there a max on the fun we are allowed to have!!!

Here's what I have Smile

2208 250th Avenue, Mora, MN is the address for the event (I've never been there so it will be a geo-hunt to find it Smile

As for where we will be once we get there, the map changed again today for the layout but I'm guessing once you find your way into the main gate area someone should be able to point you in the right direction. We will have a canopy up for shade.

I will be there so I can show you what I have and what I did for the first session. Are you ok doing both of the afternoon sessions?

Bonnie Reeves is my main go-to person for this so she will appear there at some point in between helping with the other events she is coordinating. She will be the one who will collect everything at the end of the event.

We have I believe a dad Girl Scout leader and 3 Girl Scouts coming to help out so we can put them to work however fits best. I will be "training" them Friday night so they will have at least some idea of what is going on.

I have an instruction sheet on how to use the eTrex so don't sweat that one Smile

No limit on the amount of fun! I'm so excited that you are willing to help out on this!
Mrs. Mizzou
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds awesome! I'm in for the WHOLE afternoon!
tnthekids
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mrs. Mizzou wrote:
Sounds awesome! I'm in for the WHOLE afternoon!

I am so excited! Because this is an event working with youth through the Girl Scouts, our council is asking everyone to do a background check for the safety of all kids. Can I ask you to do the background check please?

http://www.gslakesandpines.org/pages/LetsGetStarted/

You can ignore all the other links on this page and just do the background check. There is no cost associated with it.

Thanks so much!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: