MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What IS this thing?!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buzzygirl
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 6:31 pm    Post subject: What IS this thing?! Reply with quote

Hi all,

Just curious as to how many (if any) of you got started in geocaching because you just "happened upon" a cache and went to the website address to find out what this was all about? I would imagine most of us got into geocaching because someone told us about it, our friends or family do it, or because we read about it somewhere, but I could be wrong.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: What IS this thing?! Reply with quote

Buzzygirl wrote:
Just curious as to how many (if any) of you got started in geocaching because you just "happened upon" a cache and went to the website address to find out what this was all about?

I found out about it from the MN DNR believe it or not. I stumbled upon their ban on their web page and had to look up what geocaching was. I found my first one that night.

- Pear Head
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
eagleyes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 7:23 pm    Post subject: GCing start Reply with quote

Read an article about it in the Mpls. Strib, and with our orienteering experiences and love of the outdoors- thought it would be a good retirement activity- and is had been- both setting and finding caches.
tomslusher
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read about it in Playboy magazine. I should see if I can locate that issue again.

tomslusher
towlebooth
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: What IS this thing?! Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
I found out about it from the MN DNR believe it or not. I stumbled upon their ban on their web page and had to look up what geocaching was. I found my first one that night.

That's GREAT Pear-Head! Laughing

I found about the sport from a friend's Arrow blog. Sadly, he never really got into it.
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was on a show on the "Travel channel"called "'The World's Best Lost Treasures".

I had the idea stuck in my head for a long time. Then one day I re-stumbled upon it on a google search for something else.

Funny thing is that now I usually stumble back on to the geocaching site with weird google searches.
Tillek
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beleive it or not the book "the Davinci Code" got me started. I was at the author's website and found out there is a puzzle on the back cover of the book. It lists co-ordinates and asks what national monument is near them. I had no clue as to how to use co-ordinates so did some google searches and found Geocaching. Sadly I got so interested in caching I forgot to go back and work the puzzle.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

s4xton got me into Geocaching by posting a reply on Slashdot. The original post is here.

We hadn't met in person until the original Get Sauced Event! in January. We've been hardcore caching since Smile
trypnotic79
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

s4xton also had an influence on me. secretly, i just wanted to be more like him. my mini should arrive next week.
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
s4xton also had an influence on me. secretly, i just wanted to be more like him. my mini should arrive next week.

OMG!!!
s4xton
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've known about caching for awhile - it must have been some geeky news source I'm sure right around when it was starting up. I forget exactly where and when I first heard of it. Either way, I ignored it for awhile. When I was chatting with some people about it, I found out that a friend, Frozen132 had done it. He and his girlfriend eventually took me and a friend on our first geocaching trip. I bought my own GPSr that weekend and have been caching since. My friend, on the other hand, never got into it.

So officially, I'd say it was a friend-referral.

The date was 21 Feb 2003.

http://www.s4xton.com/photos/20030221-Geocaching/

-Aaron
Buzzygirl
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile I seem to recall my first intro to geocaching was about 2 months ago, when I went online to the Garmin website to download a manual for my boyfriend's eTrex. Somehow, he lost the original manual and wondered if he could get one from their website. I became curious about what it is that you could do with these things, so then I Googled for stuff on GPS's. One of the links that came up was to a page about geocaching, don't remember which site came up, but I read for awhile and it sounded like fun.

So then I looked around online for Minnesota geocaching and got to this website, and to geocaching.com. Showed up at KB's Geo 101 event last month with my boyfriend and his eTrex, and KB showed us how to enter waypoints. I went out and bought an eTrex of my own, and I've been having a ball ever since. My son's been having fun going on cache hunts with me, too.

I guess we must hide these things pretty well, since I have yet to talk to someone who has found out about the hobby from just happening upon a cache.

Jackie
SirPoonga
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can;t remember, it was several years ago I came across geocaching, just never did it for awhile. I probably came across it when I was looking for free mapping software (was going to make a car computer).
15Tango
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I signed on to gc.com when I came across an arcticle in Outside way back in 00--back then, I think there were only 3 or 4 caches in the state, including Alvin's Phone Line (still active) and Rebecca's Garden (archived). As far as people starting after finding a cache by accident--my first cache was at Carl's Lake near Lakeville, and it would disappear for a few days, then reappear with a log stating that someone found it by accident, took it home, opened it up and saw what it was, and then put it back--the 2 or 3 times that happened, the people said that geocaching sounded like fun, and they were going to check it out, but I haven't heard any more from them.
MN Lost Boy
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 11:41 am    Post subject: What is this thing? Reply with quote

I have an interesting story...
I called my cousin to tell him about Geocaching...and he had just accidently found on e the day before..

When I found the skull in the woods, the first thing I did was call the police. But then I got curious about it. I picked it up, and started wondering who this person was, and why he had deer horns.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: