MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Contacting who has them

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WestSideDaddy
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Contacting who has them Reply with quote

OK. So now that I have a few travel bugs out there I have some that are stuck (or missing) in caches but one that had been marked retrieved but not moved along. What is the etiquette about contacting someone who picked up a bug but hasn't dropped it yet?
Red_Devil35
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Contacting who has them Reply with quote

WestSideDaddy wrote:
OK. So now that I have a few travel bugs out there I have some that are stuck (or missing) in caches but one that had been marked retrieved but not moved along. What is the etiquette about contacting someone who picked up a bug but hasn't dropped it yet?

If someone has my TB for 6 months or so, I'll send them a nice request to move it along.
RudeRat
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a few weeks I track them down through their profile then park myself on their door step until they cough up the coin or the bug. Occasionally Iíve had to zap them with a tazer I bought on Craigslist, but thatís been rare. Usually they just slip the trackable out through a mail slot or crack through a chain locked door. Iíve learned that talking to yourself on their door step produces quicker results. I realize this may be viewed as a bit extreme, but it gets me out and about around the world, and isnít that what geocaching is all about? Wink
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've given up contacting TB holders. They're either insulted that you have the nerve to mention they've had your coin for 12 weeks or they just don't reply.
kc9gbo
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try after a year later.. and you can't do a tb rescue on them because someone is holding it... unless you send someone to break a leg I suppose.
MNMizzou
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have put so many little ducks out that I don't even bother to try to contact "missing" ones... surprisingly I would guess over half of them at some point move on when I thought they were long dead and gone.
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave up contacting TB holders long ago. I don't remember if it ever accomplished anything. If you have the energy, feel free to nag them every month or so.
NOSNOW
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do it after they have held on to it for 3-6 months. I have found it better to just ask if they still have it. You have a better chance of getting a reply, then asking them to drop it.
threenow24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like I luck out and have someone grab my bug or coin and then quit playing (I just looked, 5 or 6 are in that limbo, anywhere from 2 months to 2 years). Trying to contact them does no good because they probably don't bother with their mail either.
All I can do is hope they take up caching again someday, remember where my trackable is and place it back out.
Draconisdax
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried early on...but now...I don't. I wish them luck and send them on their way...and hope for the best. I had one resurface after about a year MIA...sort of fun to see that happen...but other than that...I just let them be...
Sharknose Bunnies
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

threenow24 wrote:
Seems like I luck out and have someone grab my bug or coin and then quit playing

That's how most of mine get stuck.

Every six months or so I take 15 minutes and fire off an email to holders who've held onto one of my TBs for more than three months or so. I've had pretty good success (one in three perhaps) with that. Even if they don't reply, I've noticed that the TB will sometimes start moving again within a month or so.

I also usually mention that my kids like to watch the TBs move, or that it's my kid's TB, which is for the most part true. Kind of.
pattenclan
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have had one get muggled (it was in a muggled cache...that was muggled within a week of us launching the TB)....we have one that was placed in a cache up in Ham Lake or someplace like that...which is where it has been for a year now (I am not sure if it was mine or hubby's)....so I can't even contact the cacher who took it. I might contact CO, but unsure. That one had a goal....LOL.

Typically, we wait a month or so, then see if they have a plan to place. We have had GREAT responses with that method. Other than that, we havent really had any need to worry about it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Travel Bugs All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: