MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Am I eligible for a find?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
former hawkeye
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 9:38 pm    Post subject: Am I eligible for a find? Reply with quote

On Friday, May 19th I found a broken container for GC3KB6V Bosworth Park. I have submitted a DNF (since no logsheet was inside or nearby). I took a photo of the container and it is posted.
I see today a cacher found the logsheet so is claiming FTF. I have asked only for a find from the CO.
Opinions?!

Thanks!
AerosmithPA
MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In your case, since you were sure you found the proper container, but in a damaged state, I would think it would be fine to write your name onto a scrap of paper and call it a new logbook, then send the picture which you did to the CO, after hiding the container in a logical spot.

In the second cachers case, using the same logic you did for dnf'ing the cache (signing the original logbook), that person is of course eligible for the FTF. The second searcher was the first to log a find. If I am the second searcher and I find the logbook, if the first person logged a dnf, I would think I get the FTF regardless of what their on line log says.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would allow a find in this case, assuming the cache container and log didn't start out 30' up in a tree or on the side of a cliff.
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

find and I disagree with BF. Doesn't matter where you found the container. The original hide is really only valid if other cachers have not moved it. Since the owner has not checked it. Log it.
former hawkeye
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses. I will wait a couple of days for the CO to answer and then I will log. I guess I could drop the useless container off at his house since I know where he lives. Laughing

The cache was a 1.5 terrain and the container was in the grass away from the closest beacon that I searched and searched. I would have had to use alot of black electrical tape to strap in the back side to hold a logsheet. Then the next cacher would have had a massive task on pulling it off-I didn't see the point. I didn't have any micro containers with me-as I don't like hiding them-in fact I sometimes don't hunt them because there are so many.

I did get 4 FTF (a personal best) and hid one so it was a good day caching for me! Very Happy
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcticabn wrote:
find and I disagree with BF. Doesn't matter where you found the container. The original hide is really only valid if other cachers have not moved it. Since the owner has not checked it. Log it.

Sounds like you only disagree part of the way. Wink
former hawkeye
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please don't take my question too seriously. I'm still waiting for the CO to get back to me. I think he has been too busy with his kids activities to look at his e-mail. I'm pretty sure he will be checking in a day or two after he see the photo of his container he will know I found his cache.

This is not a case of climbing a tree for a micro--I don't climb anymore I promised my hubby that "granny" would knock it off.

In the best case scenario I would get a "find" that would be the first time I was awarded one when it was muggled or missing since I started caching-not exactly stacking the deck with "fake" finds.

Thanks!
Draconisdax
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My opinion...I would log it as a find...it clearly is the cache. I would then followup with a Needs Maintenance log...
RudeRat
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a cache get muggled and chose to archive it and hide a new one about 40 yards away. A seeker of my new cache found a pile of geotrash close to GZ of the new cache and posted a DNF and a “Needs Maintenance” because there was no container or log. When I checked on it, the new cache was right where I hid it, leaving me to believe that it was remnants of the old cache that had been found. I searched for the old cache before archiving, but missed the trash 40 yards away. In this case, the DNF was the right thing to do.
ST11
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my case log it as a find - I have 300 hides right now and never check the logs. I don't care what people do, If it's one of mine log it, it's just fine with me. Wink
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ST11 wrote:
In my case log it as a find - I have 300 hides right now and never check the logs. I don't care what people do, If it's one of mine log it, it's just fine with me. Wink

+1

Play however you want. If the owner doesn't like it, they'll let you know.
former hawkeye
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did receive permission from the CO to log it as a find. He verified it was the correct container and he has disabled it until he can provide a new one with a non-chewed up logsheet too.

I'm happy with the results-so thank you for the feedback.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: