MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone able to help grab a webcam snapshot?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RyanLisaKayla
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Anyone able to help grab a webcam snapshot? Reply with quote

We are nearing our 1 year geocaching anniversary on May 28 and are planning our 1,000th cache find for that day. We've decided to do our first webcam to celebrate the milestone/anniversary and are going to be driving down to IA to do http://coord.info/GCH8M5 ( http://www.fpm.iastate.edu/webcam/isucam/ ). We've enlisted my non-technical 65-year-old mother to do the screen shot for us, but I'm a little nervous about her running into some kind of problem when the time comes, so it would be great to have a backup. So, is anyone on here going to be available around 3:00 or so on Monday (Memorial Day) to grab the screen shot for us? Thanks!
seeingitdifferent
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What time are ya thinkin?
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is free WIFI at this webcam location. Do you have a laptop or smart phone? You could probably pull it off yourself.
RyanLisaKayla
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are thinking around 3pm, but if there is free WIFI there, that would be awesome! I would be more than happy to bring our own laptop so that we can get exactly what we want. So, you don't need a university ID/PWD or anything - it is just free to the public?
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanLisaKayla wrote:
We are thinking around 3pm, but if there is free WIFI there, that would be awesome! I would be more than happy to bring our own laptop so that we can get exactly what we want. So, you don't need a university ID/PWD or anything - it is just free to the public?

When I did the cache a year and a half ago, I had free wifi all over most of the campus.

In fact, I've been able to do about 90% of my 43 webcam finds on my own with no help as most of the locations either have wifi or the webcam works through my phone's browser.
RyanLisaKayla
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
RyanLisaKayla wrote:

When I did the cache a year and a half ago, I had free wifi all over most of the campus.

In fact, I've been able to do about 90% of my 43 webcam finds on my own with no help as most of the locations either have wifi or the webcam works through my phone's browser.

Awesome! I don't have a smart phone, so I probably wouldn't be able to use that, but if I'm able to use my laptop, that would be fantastic. We were thinking that a worse case scenario backup would be for one of us to run to a McDonald's or something to take a screen shot of the other two, as I never imagined the university would give away unsecured wifi. So, thanks much for the info!
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanLisaKayla wrote:
I never imagined the university would give away unsecured wifi. So, thanks much for the info!

Be prepared in the event things have changed since I was there.
WestSideDaddy
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
RyanLisaKayla wrote:
I never imagined the university would give away unsecured wifi. So, thanks much for the info!

Be prepared in the event things have changed since I was there.

I stopped on the way back from MOGA and was NOT able to get a wifi connection. Although there were a number of options and maybe I picked the wrong one (the one I tried wanted a student ID).

I walked my wife through the process but wish I had tried it on her laptop before I left because she didn't have the right plug in and the pop-up blocker caused some issue.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may have used my webcam capture application to grab this one. What I did was connect to a wifi hotspot. And while the browser window was waiting for me to enter credentials, I started my application which was probably able to get past the login to grab the picture.

It only works with webcams that post a statically named image that gets refreshed. You need to know the direct URL to the image created. Many webcams produce an image like this even when it may not be intuitively obvious.

You can check it out here..

Webcam Capture
RyanLisaKayla
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
I may have used my webcam capture application to grab this one. What I did was connect to a wifi hotspot. And while the browser window was waiting for me to enter credentials, I started my application which was probably able to get past the login to grab the picture.

It only works with webcams that post a statically named image that gets refreshed. You need to know the direct URL to the image created. Many webcams produce an image like this even when it may not be intuitively obvious.

You can check it out here..

Webcam Capture

Cool! Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: