MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

State Park Geocaches
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
andrewmcc
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

loneeagle_24 wrote:
I'm not sure if there is something that can be done or not on this, but I was uo to Itasca on July 5th. The previous night they had a storm go through with straight line winds. After going to the headwaters to get the coordinates to start the Lasalle search no one mentioned that the rec area was closed, so I made the drive up there only to find that it was closed due to the storm. It would have been nice if the staff would have mentionde that it was closed. Anyway I go back to Itasca to see if I could get a card for the rec area (they have done this type of thing in the past when there has been storm damage), anyway all I get get told is that the rec area is closed and I would have to come back later. I am a long way from home and am not happy about having to go get this card at another time, being I have to get this one before being able to get the regional biome card.

This is about the only thing that agravates me with the whole avian challenge. Thats a lot of driving to grab these cards and then the staff won't help out when an issue like this comes up!!!!

I will pass this on to the state. I know they are slow about disabling caches but you have to admit that the day after an event like that ,geocaches are not at the top of the list of things to do.

Do you want a card when you have not signed the log book? I can see if i can get one sent to you.
loneeagle_24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can always grab that cache when I go upto get the final for the state. The fact that I would have to go get this one then go and get the final for the biome then goe back to Itasca to get the final for the state just seems ridiculous to me. I was there, and no one told me till I got up to the rec area and found out my self that it was closed is what bugs me. Yes I would like to get the card. That will be about 200 + miles one way just for me to grab this one prior to getting the final then.

Yes, I would like to see about getting a card. If it hadn't been for the area being closed I would have the card in hand now.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been asked if anyone knows the scoop for Jay Cooke (being that it's closed indefinitely) and how this plays into the big picture?
andrewmcc
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
I've been asked if anyone knows the scoop for Jay Cooke (being that it's closed indefinitely) and how this plays into the big picture?

Good question, I'll ask.
Hunter-Killer
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went by this afternoon and the road off highway 23 is still barricaded off.
andrewmcc
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hunter-Killer wrote:
Went by this afternoon and the road off highway 23 is still barricaded off.

Check out this site a get a handle on the damage...it is going to be many months!

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/state_parks/jay_cooke/flood.html
Kalli01
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we are aware of the damage just want to know if one could do the biome final with out the card??
A-body
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My idea of a challenge is doing all of requirements, then the final. The park will not be closed forever. Wait until it opens, find the cache, get the card, do the final.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A-body wrote:
My idea of a challenge is doing all of requirements, then the final. The park will not be closed forever. Wait until it opens, find the cache, get the card, do the final.

I would usually agree with your philosophy but not this time. The park could be closed for months.
Boreal Walker
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
I would usually agree with your philosophy but not this time. The park could be closed for months.

More likely years. The road is completely gone in places to the park itself. Hwy 210 needs to be rebuilt from scratch. The park itself isn't too bad. Some trail damage and the bridge is unusable.

Best solution to keep everyone happy is move the cache to the other side of the river where the public can access it from one of three right of ways.
ArcherDragoon
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boreal Walker wrote:
bflentje wrote:

More likely years. The road is completely gone in places to the park itself. Hwy 210 needs to be rebuilt from scratch. The park itself isn't too bad. Some trail damage and the bridge is unusable.

Best solution to keep everyone happy is move the cache to the other side of the river where the public can access it from one of three right of ways.

Whitewater had very similar damage a couple years back...it took less than a year to get back up and running...not all trails opened up then...but most. That included MNDOT replacing the road that went through the park. No worries from me...it will all get done.
MNMizzou
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would find myself being in the wait and see camp before going for the final. If you get down to the last month or so of the challenge and it looks like Jay Cooke isn't going to be open then I think you could reasonably pursue the final. Will someone beat you to the final because of that, sure. That's the way the cookie crumbles.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MNMizzou wrote:
I would find myself being in the wait and see camp before going for the final. If you get down to the last month or so of the challenge and it looks like Jay Cooke isn't going to be open then I think you could reasonably pursue the final. Will someone beat you to the final because of that, sure. That's the way the cookie crumbles.

If everybody waited I'd agree. But that isn't reality.
dornole
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did I read here that someone was going to check with the Parks on this? It does seem like some kind of definitive response (move the cache, archive it out of the challenge) would be nice. If things have settled down enough by now that they can worry about our wonderful game.
andrewmcc
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I do have an inquiry in, awaiting response.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: