MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

State Park Geocaches
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KRedEP
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
More proof that the DNR has their heads buried somewhere. And some of you thought I was being to harsh..

It would be nice if they just opened it up to having cachers publish the caches.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KRedEP wrote:
bflentje wrote:
More proof that the DNR has their heads buried somewhere. And some of you thought I was being to harsh..

It would be nice if they just opened it up to having cachers publish the caches.

+1
kc9gbo
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KRedEP, My thoughts exactly also! I'd be happy to place some for them.
A-body
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talk to your park manager. They might be restrictive, but it can be done. Nerstrand woods has a few
Sky King 36
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather than all-or-nothing, isn't there a middle ground where a group of cachers, um, say, like a statewide caching organization, make the state park series a joint effort? The DNR provides the program, the marketing, sponsorship... and then experienced cachers near various parks actually work with the local park manager to identify good hide concepts and place the caches?
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sky King 36 wrote:
Rather than all-or-nothing, isn't there a middle ground where a group of cachers, um, say, like a statewide caching organization, make the state park series a joint effort? The DNR provides the program, the marketing, sponsorship... and then experienced cachers near various parks actually work with the local park manager to identify good hide concepts and place the caches?

It has been offered on more than one occasion that I am aware of with no success.

But after the quality start that they have had this year, maybe it would be worth the attempt again.
KRedEP
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sky King 36 wrote:
Wasn't the first year something like this?
Paklid
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll bet they have a desire to make the actual finding of cache containers fairly easy to keep first time cachers from coming up empty. When an occasional state park hider (like at Cascade River) makes the hide more difficult - we complain about that too. Like Goldilocks found, some are too easy, some are too hard - not enough are just right.

Hey, I wonder if Goldilocks for a cacher name is already taken.
essap
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears that there were at least 7 of the series published with incorrect first set of coordinates. No place to start.

Minnesota
Lake Shetek
Upper Sioux
La Salle Lake
Hill Mine Annex
Frontenac
Soudan Underground Mine

Greenleaf had nothing at the first stage
Father Hennepin had the wrong coordinates in the stages
Kilen Woods - only one stage
Lake Maria - wrong 2d or 3d stage coords
Afton - listed as traditional, is a multi

Coordinates reported as off, by varied
Sakatah Lake - 40-60'
Fort Snelling
Root River 187 miles
Lake Bemidji - 30'
Upper Sioux 65'
John A. Latsch 30-50'
Hill Mine Annex 45'
Red_Devil35
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KRedEP wrote:
Sky King 36 wrote:
Wasn't the first year something like this?

Yes. There were volunteers for all of the parks. I helped with Big Stone Lake.

I think this might just be a bunch of people within the parks system that really don't care about the challenge; it is more work for them.
dornole
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think avoiding multis might be a good plan as they are significantly harder both to hide and to find.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone bookmark them all yet?
Boreal Walker
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dornole wrote:
I would think avoiding multis might be a good plan as they are significantly harder both to hide and to find.

The majority of the State Park multis have been two stages. This has been for a logistical reason. Stage 1 usually starts at a sign with the coords to the next stage printed on a lamenated sheet of paper. That way if there are problems with the physical cache, they do not need to mess with the website, only swap out the sheet of paper with the new coordinates.

I still do not understand why people hate multis.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boreal Walker wrote:
dornole wrote:

The majority of the State Park multis have been two stages. This has been for a logistical reason. Stage 1 usually starts at a sign with the coords to the next stage printed on a lamenated sheet of paper. That way if there are problems with the physical cache, they do not need to mess with the website, only swap out the sheet of paper with the new coordinates.

I still do not understand why people hate multis.

I love multicaches if they're short and sweet. Auto-tours and super multis should be banned. Wink
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boreal Walker wrote:
That way if there are problems with the physical cache, they do not need to mess with the website, only swap out the sheet of paper with the new coordinates.

If they change the coordinates to the final, they still have to go back to their listing and update the additional waypoint.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: