MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

State Park Geocaches
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rosebud55112
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:54 am    Post subject: State Park Geocaches Reply with quote

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2012/04/19/dnr-after-geocaching-program-ends-another-is-set-to-begin/

I interpret this to mean that there will not be any official MNStateParks multicaches available from 5/1-6/9, including over the Memorial Day weekend. Is that correct? Does anyone know why they want to have a six-week break?
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look at the reservation debacle and then re-ask the question.

The new challenge is to coincide with a MADE UP holiday half way into June, as opposed to the unofficial start of the camping season, Memorial weekend. I am trying to hold back about the incompetance at the DNR but it's getting tougher and tougher to be quiet.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: State Park Geocaches Reply with quote

rosebud55112 wrote:
http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2012/04/19/dnr-after-geocaching-program-ends-another-is-set-to-begin/

I interpret this to mean that there will not be any official MNStateParks multicaches available from 5/1-6/9, including over the Memorial Day weekend. Is that correct? Does anyone know why they want to have a six-week break?

http://mngca.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=88991#88991
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I say this much. After all of the hard work by the MnGCA and the many years of trying to convince the DNR to allow geocaching. It is nice to see a senior representative from the DNR acknowledge that geocaching has been a benefit to the parks.

Alternatively its nice to see that all of those land managers in the DNR that feared that geocaching would destroy state park lands were wrong (although they will never admit to that!).
northtrekker
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
Take a look at the reservation debacle and then re-ask the question. The new challenge is to coincide with a MADE UP holiday half way into June, as opposed to the unofficial start of the camping season, Memorial weekend. I am trying to hold back about the incompetance at the DNR but it's getting tougher and tougher to be quiet.

I'm all for the DNR and state parks. I've always been a supporter and have camped on the shore Memorial Weekend for more years than I can recall. As much fun as we'll continue to have, I agree, it sure would have been great if they had the next challenge up and running prior to the start of the weekend. The "MADE UP" holiday, is a good concept to bring people into the parks, but that is certainly not the day that I would prefer to begin the next challenge. (OT - the reservation system only took 3.5 hours in order to process my request for Memorial Weekend. 3.35 being on hold and .15 getting phone assistance for my request to be processed). What a relief the process was streamlined. Wink

~nt
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

northtrekker wrote:
bflentje wrote:
Take a look at the reservation debacle and then re-ask the question. The new challenge is to coincide with a MADE UP holiday half way into June, as opposed to the unofficial start of the camping season, Memorial weekend. I am trying to hold back about the incompetance at the DNR but it's getting tougher and tougher to be quiet.

I'm all for the DNR and state parks. I've always been a supporter and have camped on the shore Memorial Weekend for more years than I can recall. As much fun as we'll continue to have, I agree, it sure would have been great if they had the next challenge up and running prior to the start of the weekend. The "MADE UP" holiday, is a good concept to bring people into the parks, but that is certainly not the day that I would prefer to begin the next challenge. (OT - the reservation system only took 3.5 hours in order to process my request for Memorial Weekend. 3.35 being on hold and .15 getting phone assistance for my request to be processed). What a relief the process was streamlined. Wink

~nt

My post did not imply that I am "not for" the DNR and the parks. My history proves quite the opposite. But I can guarantee there will be more people in the parks Memorial Weekend than the "made up" holiday. I'll put money on it.
northtrekker
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:

My post did not imply that I am "not for" the DNR and the parks. My history proves quite the opposite. But I can guarantee there will be more people in the parks Memorial Weekend than the "made up" holiday. I'll put money on it.

I know you are for the DNR... and agree with Memorial Weekend attendance. Bottom line, it's too bad the challenge isn't beginning until June 9. Memorial weekend is great weekend to cache and the new park challenge would have been a stellar addition to the weekend this year.
ST11
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked into getting permission to place a few caches in a few state parks. I tell you it's just not worth the hassle. They want to do the caches themselves and do a pretty poor job of it. I think I would rather do income taxes than fill out the paperwork for the DNR.
TECGeoJim
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:23 am    Post subject: Looking for Avian challenge info. Reply with quote

Have I missed something? Is there more information available about the new State Park Geocaching program besides the start date 0f June 9 and the name "Avian challenge"?
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for Avian challenge info. Reply with quote

TECGeoJim wrote:
Have I missed something? Is there more information available about the new State Park Geocaching program besides the start date 0f June 9 and the name "Avian challenge"?

Besides all of the previous caches officially being archived, that's all I know. Andrew might have more information. He's tied in with the DNR pretty tight.
northtrekker
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:02 am    Post subject: avian adventure Reply with quote

Here's what I know:

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/state_parks/geocaching/avian/index.html

It appears to have the "layout" of the History Challenge.

~nt
dornole
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What has people's past experience been with the cards? Are they actually always stocked in the caches?

I ask because my 9 year old daughter is a bird freak and would love to collect the cards. But the disappointment level also might be "elevated" (read: silent brave tears) beyond the norm if they were not available as anticipated.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dornole wrote:
What has people's past experience been with the cards? Are they actually always stocked in the caches?

I ask because my 9 year old daughter is a bird freak and would love to collect the cards. But the disappointment level also might be "elevated" (read: silent brave tears) beyond the norm if they were not available as anticipated.

From what I've heard, read, and experienced they're normally stocked well. In the event that they aren't, I believe the park offices would provide a card if you told them the cache was empty. Every cache I've found from both series (I didn't complete either series) was stocked with anywhere from a few cards to 50+.
rosebud55112
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the state website posted above:

"Also included in the cache may be small trinkets left by a previous geocacher. If you find a trinket, it's your to keep. If you choose, leave a trinket in return for the next Avian Adventure geocacher to find."

Again, they don't account for travelers. I know that travelers are too difficult to explain in a few sentences, but why do they have to encourage people to keep things from the caches? This may be the first encounter with caches many people have, and encouraging the ignorant/innocent disappearance of travelers is unwise.

I refuse to place travelers in the State Park caches for that reason. (Not that I have all that many finds on them anyway.)
KRedEP
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rosebud55112 wrote:
From the state website posted above:

"Also included in the cache may be small trinkets left by a previous geocacher. If you find a trinket, it's your to keep. If you choose, leave a trinket in return for the next Avian Adventure geocacher to find."

Again, they don't account for travelers. I know that travelers are too difficult to explain in a few sentences, but why do they have to encourage people to keep things from the caches? This may be the first encounter with caches many people have, and encouraging the ignorant/innocent disappearance of travelers is unwise.

I refuse to place travelers in the State Park caches for that reason. (Not that I have all that many finds on them anyway.)
wow, this explains the issue with trackables. I always thought it was newbies who didn't understand.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: