MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

INJURY STORIES
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
navychief98
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:33 pm    Post subject: INJURY STORIES Reply with quote

Alright Minnesotans,

We're tough! We're proud! We fall dwn and go BOOM!

Let's here thos stories of when you took one to the body in the of GEOCACHING!

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
navychief98
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got this one on a beautiful Tuesday morning. My dear friend, spd2662, came along to get other treaurers after I retrieved "Was Red." Jon was at the helm. When we arrived at our landing zone, we gathered all the necessary equipment and set out on our trek to GZ. As we walked, we took in many B-E-A-UTIFUL sights along the DWP trail.

It was time to get off the path. The GPSr says to turn right. As I make my approach, spd's voice is diminishing. I see he is behind me letting me make the grab. I look at my GPSr and it says 8 feet. I spot it. I see my last 8 feet could be treaky. I brace my self and expect to slide a little bit. I thought nothing more. No big deal right? NOT!

All of a sudden, I was crashing out of control. I was sliding and picking up speed with every passing second. All of a sudden, my balance was gone and I started to tumble. I kept my eyes open trying to squat to stop myself. No good! I remember letting go of my GPSr just before I rolled over again and hit my head on a rock. I finally stopped about 15 feet from the raging river in front of me. I look behind me and notice that my GPSr (iPad 2) is alright and resting peacefully about 10 feet above my head. Whew!

I saw a couple drops of blood on the little rock where I finally stopped tumbling and rolling. I quickly grabbed my handkerchief and applied direct pressure. Training is good for you. You never know when you're going to need that valuable information from Basic First Aid Class. Today was the day.

I cried out to SPD, I'm hurt! I hit my head on a rock. I'm OK. He heard me and immediately made his way to me. He didn't fall though. He checked me out and asked if I could walk. Yep, let's go! Sure, my head hurt and it was bleeding a little bit but I was ready to go on.

We made it back to the treasure chest and I said to SPD, hold it! I have to sign the logbook. I retrieved the log and made my mark. The next thing I said was, Let's go to the doctor. My head was swelling up real fast. It felt like I had a softball protruding out from underneath my Jeff Gordon hat.

We get to the Denfeld Clinic. Two nurses in Urgent Care saw me and said, Blood - I'm out of here. That made me feel comfortable. Arrr!

About 2 minutes went by and I was in the room. Dr. McCain came in and said, That's gotta hurt. I'll fix you up. Ten stiches later He said all done. The nurse wrapped my held with a pressure bandage.

I got to tell you, I LOVE GEOCACHING!!! The Doctor said ten days and he'll take the stiches out.

TNLN SL TFTC
dornole
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't top that. But I was reminded of my injury story this week when my friend at the gym asked -- how did you get that 4 inch scar on your calf?

I was caching one winter and got snagged on some barbed wire and ripped my new jeans! Dangit!! Didn't realize I also ripped myself. Got home, changed clothes and realized I had a 10-inch gash that was bleeding quite a bit.

I think these injury stories should have a moral. So mine is, keep your tetanus shots up to date!!
navychief98
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dornole wrote:
I think these injury stories should have a moral. So mine is, keep your tetanus shots up to date!!

I agree! I got my shot on Tuesday, 3/20/2012.
KRedEP
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sprained my ankle quite badly jumping over a log and landing on unexpectedly uneven ground. Tore cartilage in my knee when I slid sideways on a slippery hill.

I heard from a reliable source of an older guy who was killed when he backed up and fell into a hole. This was quite a few years ago. He was visiting the area from Utah - or thereabouts.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got geo-scars from walking through some berry briars last weekend.
RudeRat
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going for a cache in Whitewater State Park on an icy, drizzly morning , I slipped on some leaves covering a wet rock which sent me on about a 50 foot slide, on my back, head first, straight for a cliff. My favorite tree on earth is that little 1 inch diameter maple that stopped me from going over the edge. I was a bloody mess when I walked into the park office to clean myself up in their restroom.
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Besides the minors scrapes and stuff from bushwhacking, the worst injury I've sustained while caching was pre-WNC back in 2006 in Bloomington at this cache: http://coord.info/GCP7AV

A group of us were looking for the cache and couldn't find it. I was walking up the rocky incline and slipped and my shin landed on a small sapling about 1/2" in diameter that had been cut off. It missed the bone but went into the meaty part next to the bone. It bled pretty good but didn't keep me from finishing the night!

Given all the crazy things I did as a newbie back then, I'm thankful that is the worst of my injuries. Smile
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, I remember biking in a Washington County park a couple years back. I was heading down this trail overgrown with grass. I had to be cruising about 20 or more MPH. I ran right into a log that was across the path covered with the grass. Literally, in less than the blink of an eye, my bike up ended me and I flew about 40 feet landing on my face. I was not wearing a helmet so luckily no other trees or boulders were in my path. And luckily, both me and the bike were able to walk away.

I keep thinking that if there was anything in my path, I'd be in a wheelchair or dead. Because it happened so fast there was literally no reaction time. It's almost as if I blacked out for a moment because all I remember is biking fast and then lying on the ground. I don't remember flying throught the air.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I accidentally shot myself through the hand with a construction nailgun. It happened so fast I didn't even feel it. Pulling the nail out, with the barbs on it, now THAT hurt.

Ok, not geocaching related.
dornole
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C'mon Bflentje you could have said you were building a coffin or something when that happened. Wink
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dornole wrote:
C'mon Bflentje you could have said you were building a coffin or something when that happened. Wink

The coffin was built with precision and every seem was screwed together. No nailguns involved with that. I was using the nailgun while looking for a place to rent a canoe though. Shocked
Sharknose Bunnies
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No injury/near injury thread is complete until sparkyfry tells his cliff story.
minnesotabrad
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broken arm for me.
navychief98
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

minnesotabrad wrote:
Broken arm for me.

Any pictures you care to share?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: