MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Duplicate Challenge Caches
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sparkyfry
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just noticed this thread... I don't have a problem with it, but I might be biased. I have a couple essentially identical challenges to nearby challenges as part of my St. Paul Challenge Series, and a many similar ones where the numbers were different. I had a couple reasons for doing so. One is that I wanted to make what is essentially a "power trail" of accessible challenges, so that experienced cachers could grab a lot of challenges, new cachers could have attainable goals, and people who don't otherwise do challenges would be exposed to them. I've seen that sort of "Challenge Power Trail" done other places -- take a look at the series starting with this GC2K3HH -- but not in Minnesota, so I thought it would be something new, even if some of the challenges themselves are retreads. Indeed, most of the challenge ideas were taken, so I had to borrow a lot. I tried to acknowledge the duplicates and link to them in case anybody wanted to those as well. Bobcam's series seems similar, but many of the challenges are much more difficult, so I think that's a good idea too for more hardcore cachers.

This may all be a moot point anyway. Groundspeak changed the rules for challenge caches, so ones like mine may no longer be allowed. Groundspeak is great at solving problems that don't exist. I pasted the new rule below. But I digress.

If a challenge cache is submitted within an area where a similar challenge cache already exists, then it will need to have a unique list of qualifying criteria (geocaches, waymarks, etc.).[/i]
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeoPierce wrote:
Arcticabn wrote:
Everyone has opinions, so here's mine.

I don't have a problem with similar or identical challenge caches in different locations. I do have a problem with similar or identical challenges in the same geographical location.

Example. The 366 day challenge. I've got no problem with one being in each state or maybe even each major city. But I don't think that there needs to be two or more of the same challenge in the relatively the same location.

Why not? Don't you deserve two smileys for doing all that work to fill up your calendar? I think cachers should get 5 smileys for caching 365 days in a row!

Don't they already get 365 smileys? OK so give them a souvenir. Just seems to me like getting extra credit for something you already got credit for doing.

So how much extra credit should an individual get?
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a "Double Your Pleasure - Challenge Caches" challenge for finding two identical challenges?
rosebud55112
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pfalstad wrote:
How about a "Double Your Pleasure - Challenge Caches" challenge for finding two identical challenges?

I was thinking the same thing.
DeltaMikeAlpha
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the solution to duplicated Challenges is to NOT allow the same caches to be used for both Shocked
rosebud55112
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking at the Indiana Challenges today, and see that IN has three 366 Day challenges: GC1YG9J, GC2RW2H, and GC3EF4D.
WestSideDaddy
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pfalstad wrote:

Just saw this since I stopped paying attention to the original thread until it got bumped. I love this idea.
A-body
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking all the challenge caches should be placed in Jordan MN. Why should I have to drive all over the state just to find them. Or am I being selfish?
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A-body wrote:
I'm thinking all the challenge caches should be placed in Jordan MN. Why should I have to drive all over the state just to find them. Or am I being selfish?

I agree! Move them all to Jordan! Wink
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pfalstad wrote:
A-body wrote:

I agree! Move them all to Jordan! Wink

In fact, move all of the Golden Valley caches to Jordan.
A-body
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need to drae the line somewhere, I'm just not sure where.
navychief98
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rosebud55112 wrote:
I was looking at the Indiana Challenges today, and see that IN has three 366 Day challenges: GC1YG9J, GC2RW2H, and GC3EF4D.

I am so late on this thread. Oh well.

Indiana is a big state as are most of the states in the Union. For example, if there was a 366 Day Challenge cache in Minneapols, are you saying you expect all Cachers from the Northland to drive 2+ hours to grab it?

That's unreasonable.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

navychief98 wrote:
rosebud55112 wrote:

Indiana is a big state as are most of the states in the Union. For example, if there was a 366 Day Challenge cache in Minneapols, are you saying you expect all Cachers from the Northland to drive 2+ hours to grab it?

That's unreasonable.

++1;

Duplicate challenges should stand, so long as they're greater than 528' from each other.
Rustynails
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

navychief98 wrote:
rosebud55112 wrote:

That's unreasonable.

Do Northlanders ever visit the BIG city on occasion? We have many great hides here and other challenges.
AerosmithPA
MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
Duplicate challenges should stand, so long as they're greater than 528' from each other.

Yes, this goes back to a point I was trying to make earlier that a challenge cache boils down to doing the legwork to simply sign a log and get a smiley. 528' is the Groundspeak rules.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: