MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

When is a find a FTF?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dornole
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LAF? (lazy --s finder?)
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharknose Bunnies wrote:
If I get lucky enough to find a cache before it gets published, I'll claim an FTF, but I usually label them Pre-Publication FTFs. I'd have no problem with the first person finding it after publication claiming a Post-Publication FTF as well.

Last edited by bflentje on Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sharknose Bunnies
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
Sharknose Bunnies wrote:
If I get lucky enough to find a cache before it gets published, I'll claim an FTF, but I usually label them Pre-Publication FTFs. I'd have no problem with the first person finding it after publication claiming a Post-Publication FTF as well.

Does it count when you're intimately aware that the hider has just placed a handful of caches and generally speaking, know where and know the hide method? Wink Not that "I" personally care.. I've heard the talk.

Not sure of the talk you'd be referring to (I think I've found less than a half dozen caches before they've been published in two and a half years of caching, so I don't think I'm in that intimate group), but no, I don't think it's fair to get inside information from the CO and take advantage of that to find a cache before it's published. The playing field should be even.
sparkyfry
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharknose Bunnies wrote:
bflentje wrote:
Sharknose Bunnies wrote:

Does it count when you're intimately aware that the hider has just placed a handful of caches and generally speaking, know where and know the hide method? Wink Not that "I" personally care.. I've heard the talk.

Not sure of the talk you'd be referring to (I think I've found less than a half dozen caches before they've been published in two and a half years of caching, so I don't think I'm in that intimate group), but no, I don't think it's fair to get inside information from the CO and take advantage of that to find a cache before it's published. The playing field should be even.

Was he asking about inside information? He just asked if it's okay if "generally speaking, you know where and know the hide method." I don't think that's the same as explicit inside info from the CO. (I agree with you that that would be a problem.) I brute forced one of the Baker Road series with a group. There were caches published called "Baker Road 4" and "Baker Road 6" (or something similar) about a quarter mile apart, so it seemed reasonable that there would be a similarly hid cache right between them. Sure enough, there was. I think that "generally speaking, [we] knew where and knew the hide method," and I think it was fine.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wasn't a FTF but that's how we discovered that great Sparkyfry puzzle where he sings and plays piano. Wink
tonkaMN
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparkyfry wrote:
Sharknose Bunnies wrote:
bflentje wrote:
Sharknose Bunnies wrote:

Was he asking about inside information? He just asked if it's okay if "generally speaking, you know where and know the hide method." I don't think that's the same as explicit inside info from the CO. (I agree with you that that would be a problem.) I brute forced one of the Baker Road series with a group. There were caches published called "Baker Road 4" and "Baker Road 6" (or something similar) about a quarter mile apart, so it seemed reasonable that there would be a similarly hid cache right between them. Sure enough, there was. I think that "generally speaking, [we] knew where and knew the hide method," and I think it was fine.

And he didn't get any inside information from me!
Sharknose Bunnies
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparkyfry wrote:
Sharknose Bunnies wrote:
bflentje wrote:
Sharknose Bunnies wrote:

Ah, I see now. I probably misinterpreted "intimately aware" and the wink icon.

Generally speaking, if you haven't done much caching in Golden Valley, I bet you could find a half dozen hard puzzles just by checking random signs. Laughing
mandm o
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way I see it, being at an event can have perks. If someone has coords for a cache that has not been published folks at the event get a leg up on being the FTF.

I don't have a smart phone and we don't have as many caches published as other places. I'm taller then a lot of cachers, but not as good at puzzles as some, and then on the other hand (or would this be the third hand?) I can leave work earlier then some. I don't see that 'fair' or 'level playing field' have a place here.

If I am the first to sign the log I will be calling it a FTF.
dornole
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm not really an FTF hound myself. But the few times I have rushed out because I happened to be really close by and actually saw the notification - I really would not like it if somebody else had found it the day before based on insider info. What a downer that would be.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dornole wrote:
Well, I'm not really an FTF hound myself. But the few times I have rushed out because I happened to be really close by and actually saw the notification - I really would not like it if somebody else had found it the day before based on insider info. What a downer that would be.

The way I have always looked at it is that you never know how fast someone else can get there.

We had a cache once locally that was published something like 10 minutes before I was leaving work for the day. The cache was an easy dozen blocks away or so. I drove straight there and found two or three others cachers already looking for it.
dornole
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My point exactly, it is great fun to have the publication swarm and I definitely don't underestimate how fast people can get there! One time of the few times when I did get FTF, I was literally already in my car and happened to be a block away from the cache. I was at GZ within 2 minutes of publication and I STILL barely beat Gilby. (SW metro is a tough field!!) But if some people get coords early and unapologetically find it pre-pub, and then other poor saps swarm out for the sole purpose of trying to get FTF without knowing it was found before publication?? If that's happening I'd be bummed about that. I hope it's not but I'm starting to wonder.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FTFs are over-rated.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

King Boreas wrote:
FTFs are over-rated.

I used to be somewhat of a FTF hound.. until I started polishing up all of my other overall stats. Between the two? You can have the FTF and I'll take my other stats any day of the week. That's not to say I won't be seen at a FTF party though. Wink
Sharknose Bunnies
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dornole wrote:
But if some people get coords early and unapologetically find it pre-pub, and then other poor saps swarm out for the sole purpose of trying to get FTF without knowing it was found before publication?? If that's happening I'd be bummed about that. I hope it's not but I'm starting to wonder.

Fortunately this is extremely rare. I think I've had this happen to me once (possibly twice but I'm not 100% sure) in two and a half years of looking for FTFs.

What can be frustrating and is much more common is when people find an FTF then intentionally don't log it for several hours, even though I know they have an iPhone/Android device.

IMHO, though, FTFs are a crazy place to cache and it goes a lot better when you just let laugh and let stuff roll off your back. Sometimes newly published caches aren't even there. Sometimes the coords are off so far that finding the cache is brutally difficult. Puzzles can be broken, making them basically impossible to solve. There was even a recent cache where all three of these things happened on the same cache. Very Happy It's that unpredictability that leads to some entertaining caching stories, though.
WestSideDaddy
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharknose Bunnies wrote:

IMHO, though, FTFs are a crazy place to cache and it goes a lot better when you just let laugh and let stuff roll off your back. Sometimes newly published caches aren't even there. Sometimes the coords are off so far that finding the cache is brutally difficult. Puzzles can be broken, making them basically impossible to solve. There was even a recent cache where all three of these things happened on the same cache. Very Happy It's that unpredictability that leads to some entertaining caching stories, though.

Hey now... I suspect I know what cache you are referring too...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: