MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Caching The Luce Line
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
beagleboo
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

minnstars wrote:
I have a large number of caches along the Soo Line Trail. I tried to be careful to keep them all within the trail right of way generally no more than 25 feet off the trail.

In a nutshell, my experience with all rail trails I have cached on. Is in agreement with minnstars. Easement or right of way distance from a rail trail can be very short to a land owners boundary.
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

King Boreas wrote:
The guy made the effort to create a geocaching account. He made contacts with people whose names he received on a list. He may NOT know how to determine a GC# or name of a cache. I think he's made a reasonable effort (not like a monkey *** in Aitkin County)

Agreed.. I was assuming that people weren't expecting him to provide a list of GC codes.. The address or location of his property should be plenty.
MN.Fruitcake
Minnesota Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A reviewer sent him an email to follow up and figure out which caches are the problem(s).
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

King Boreas wrote:
The guy made the effort to create a geocaching account. He made contacts with people whose names he received on a list. He may NOT know how to determine a GC# or name of a cache. I think he's made a reasonable effort (not like a monkey *** in Aitkin County)

I guess my point being that the Luce Line is 63 miles long, has a ton of caches along it, and it's likely that the landowner only has land along a very small fraction of it.

While it's good to be concerned about where you cache falls in general (on or off the right of way), I'm not sure how worried I'd get about this particular situation until the details are known, as the odds are that it doesn't affect many caches (or cachers) at all.

I'm sure our trusty reviewers will be able to shed some more light. Confused
andrewmcc
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As soon as the craziness that goes with setting up the new DNR geocaching program. We are going to review the State Trail policy.

This seems to be more of a private property issue.
HOOAH!!
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ask for a list of geocaches in question 3 days ago & gave a for example GC31QHT

I just received this reply to my Email tonight.

Hello, and thanks for your concern. To be honest with you I don't know much about geocaching so I have enlisted the help of the MnGCA, the Trails and Waterways division of the DNR, and the people over at Groundspeak, up until this point. That being said I couldn't tell you exactly which caches we are concerned with or who they belong to since I have been guided through this process by the people at the MnGCA. My initial email was sent to 15 people with caches along my property lines (I own multiple properties along the trail), I wasn't targeting any one individual. I am sorry if you felt targeted as that was not my intent. A geocaching reviewer will be out in the next few days to check the caches, and remove the ones presenting issues.

Thanks again

He might turn out to be a nice guy that had caches placed on his property by mistake.
if there are any caches on his property I just wish that he or the reviewer would give the cache owner a chance to remove it & rehide it in a proper spot as many geocaches contain Geocoins & TB's as well as other Trackable items attached to TB's & coins that mean alot to their owners & cost a pritty penny in some cases.
WE place them out in the Wild for others to enjoy but hope that after their long journey & adventures that they will return home again one day.

I'll keep you all notified of the situation as it unfolds.
jrest
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got back from being out of town for a couple weeks and spotted this note. I did not get an email from the property owner in question, however I do have a few caches placed along this trail.

If it appears that any of the caches in question are mine, I would be happy to move/archive them as necessary, but once this gets cleared up, would also hope that the "reviewer" heading out there in the next few days to remove them, would also give us an idea where this "off limits" area is (if it is off limits) so I don't go hiding more in those "empty spots".

I really enjoy this trail, and like hiding stuff to get others out there to hopefully enjoy that trail as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: