MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Logging your own challenge cache
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
EPMinnesota
Past MnGCA Board


Joined: 13 Apr 2006

Posts: 1934

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:35 pm    Post subject: Logging your own challenge cache Reply with quote

It is considered bad form to log a find on your own traditional cache. It was discussed here a while back and concluded that it is NOT considered bad form to log an "ATTENDED" if you attend an event you hosted. Is it considered bad form to log a find if you completed a challenge that you yourself published? By challenge I don't mean the lame challenges that Groundspeak has come up with in the last year. I mean the "find a puzzle cache starting with the letter i in 10 different states" kind of cache or typically one of KB's challenge of a century caches.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bflentje
Geocacher


Joined: 29 May 2006

Posts: 3971

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Logging your own challenge cache Reply with quote

EPMinnesota wrote:
It is considered bad form to log a find on your own traditional cache. It was discussed here a while back and concluded that it is NOT considered bad form to log an "ATTENDED" if you attend an event you hosted. Is it considered bad form to log a find if you completed a challenge that you yourself published? By challenge I don't mean the lame challenges that Groundspeak has come up with in the last year. I mean the "find a puzzle cache starting with the letter i in 10 different states" kind of cache or typically one of KB's challenge of a century caches.


That's a good question. While it might be bad form, it's still allowed. I would not think poorly of anyone that did it. Unless it was an overt attempt at scoring a high star cache that is. But then I would only only roll my eyes and move on, not remembering it the next time I saw you.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pfalstad
Geocacher


Joined: 02 Feb 2006

Posts: 1007
Location: Edina

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Logging your own challenge cache Reply with quote

EPMinnesota wrote:
It is considered bad form to log a find on your own traditional cache. It was discussed here a while back and concluded that it is NOT considered bad form to log an "ATTENDED" if you attend an event you hosted. Is it considered bad form to log a find if you completed a challenge that you yourself published? By challenge I don't mean the lame challenges that Groundspeak has come up with in the last year. I mean the "find a puzzle cache starting with the letter i in 10 different states" kind of cache or typically one of KB's challenge of a century caches.

I assume so, so I wouldn't do it, but I don't see why it should be considered bad form. You'd have to work just as hard as anyone else. Of course people don't like logging attended on your own event either. The argument is that you get credit for the hide, which is pretty lame.

Rather than hiding challenge caches myself, I tend to drop strong hints to KB about a challenge idea, hoping he'll hide it, so I can find it. That doesn't always work. Or maybe you could get 0 Degrees C to hide it for you... He seems to like hiding challenge caches. Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
bflentje
Geocacher


Joined: 29 May 2006

Posts: 3971

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Logging your own challenge cache Reply with quote

pfalstad wrote:
EPMinnesota wrote:
It is considered bad form to log a find on your own traditional cache. It was discussed here a while back and concluded that it is NOT considered bad form to log an "ATTENDED" if you attend an event you hosted. Is it considered bad form to log a find if you completed a challenge that you yourself published? By challenge I don't mean the lame challenges that Groundspeak has come up with in the last year. I mean the "find a puzzle cache starting with the letter i in 10 different states" kind of cache or typically one of KB's challenge of a century caches.

I assume so, so I wouldn't do it, but I don't see why it should be considered bad form. You'd have to work just as hard as anyone else. Of course people don't like logging attended on your own event either. The argument is that you get credit for the hide, which is pretty lame.

Rather than hiding challenge caches myself, I tend to drop strong hints to KB about a challenge idea, hoping he'll hide it, so I can find it. That doesn't always work. Or maybe you could get 0 Degrees C to hide it for you... He seems to like hiding challenge caches. Wink


I don't mean to derail but I never knew it was "bad form" to log your own events. While logging your own caches doesn't bother me, I wouldn't do it. But I do not have the same feeling for events. If I attended, I get the Attended icon.

As for strongly suggesting to KB, I am at 50-50 in terms of him taking on a challenge idea.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pfalstad
Geocacher


Joined: 02 Feb 2006

Posts: 1007
Location: Edina

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Logging your own challenge cache Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
I don't mean to derail but I never knew it was "bad form" to log your own events. While logging your own caches doesn't bother me, I wouldn't do it. But I do not have the same feeling for events. If I attended, I get the Attended icon.

That's what EP was saying.. We discussed it, and most people said it was OK to log your own events. Although not everyone agreed.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
bflentje
Geocacher


Joined: 29 May 2006

Posts: 3971

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Log the event. Log the challenge.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
King Boreas
Geocacher


Joined: 16 Dec 2002

Posts: 2423
Location: Exploring Minnesota

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
Log the event. Log the challenge.


Awhile back, I took a look at how many of my Challenges I had completed. There were more than I'd expected, but I didn't log any. I was tempted ...

I have officially retired from listing new Challenges. I have plenty to manage as it is. Since they are expected to last forever, some receive more maintenance visits than any other cache type would receive. Archiving isn't an option.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
King Boreas
Geocacher


Joined: 16 Dec 2002

Posts: 2423
Location: Exploring Minnesota

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Some points to consider when creating a challenge cache:

Challenge caches must contain the word "Challenge" in the cache name.
It is generally considered "bad form" Arrow to log one's own physical cache.
A challenge cache concept that severely limits the number of cachers who can achieve the challenge will likely not be published.
A challenge cache based on one or more non-accomplishments, such as DNFs, will likely not be published.
Challenge caches may not require the publication of a new cache as a logging requirement. Challenges must be achievable by those who do not own caches.
Challenge caches may not require cachers to log caches that are disabled or archived.
A challenge cache should recognize the completion of an achievement, rather than the winner of a competition. For example, a challenge based on "First to Finds" is dependent on the actions of other cachers, is a competition, and cannot be verified, so would likely not be published.
Requiring cachers to find an explicit list of caches (rather than a broader category of caches) will likely prevent the cache from being published.
Using a challenge cache to promote one's own caches will likely prevent the cache from being published.
The challenge cache must be findable without needing to email the owner, either by posting the true coordinates or by posting instructions for a puzzle or multi-cache.




Code:
6.6. Logging My Own Cache

Can I log a find on my own cache? What about when I go back to visit?

It is considered "bad form" to log a find on your own cache, no matter when you do it. The same is true if you re-visit another traditional cache (for example to place or retrieve a travel bug). Use the "post a note" log option to record your visit in these circumstances.

In either case, you're not "finding" a cache because you already know where it is. Save the smiley face for use when you've truly discovered a hidden cache.


Quote:
you're not "finding" a cache because you already know where it is.


No, but you're completing a Challenge, which allows you to log the cache.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
bflentje
Geocacher


Joined: 29 May 2006

Posts: 3971

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

King Boreas wrote:
I have officially retired from listing new Challenges.


Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
minnstars
Geocacher


Joined: 18 Sep 2008

Posts: 298

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where the rules arenít defined or enforced by Groundspeak, there are many questions on how the game of geocaching should be played that not everyone will ever agree on. Some of us consider the discussions about these gray areas to be a fun part of the game, but this should never create anything more than a friendly debate.

In the case of the question behind this question I think it may have created hard feelings and damaged friendships, which wasnít intended or necessary. Sad

PS Ė Thanks EPMN for all your work on the 366 Event and the Challenge Cache was a sweet bonus! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bflentje
Geocacher


Joined: 29 May 2006

Posts: 3971

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

minnstars wrote:
Where the rules arenít defined or enforced by Groundspeak, there are many questions on how the game of geocaching should be played that not everyone will ever agree on. Some of us consider the discussions about these gray areas to be a fun part of the game, but this should never create anything more than a friendly debate.

In the case of the question behind this question I think it may have created hard feelings and damaged friendships, which wasnít intended or necessary. Sad

PS Ė Thanks EPMN for all your work on the 366 Event and the Challenge Cache was a sweet bonus! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy


Are you serious that there were hard feelings and damaged friendships over something so benign as a log on a cache? And it wasn't related to me sticking my foot in my own mouth? Then it had to FTF related.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
minnstars
Geocacher


Joined: 18 Sep 2008

Posts: 298

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
And it wasn't related to me sticking my foot in my own mouth?


You said it not me! Wink ... But maybe it would be more fun if we could change the question with a slant directed toward challenge caches published by SPA's. Rolling Eyes Wink Wink Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bflentje
Geocacher


Joined: 29 May 2006

Posts: 3971

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

minnstars wrote:
bflentje wrote:
And it wasn't related to me sticking my foot in my own mouth?


You said it not me! Wink ... But maybe it would be more fun if we could change the question with a slant directed toward challenge caches published by SPA's. Rolling Eyes Wink Wink Wink


You lost me..
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ArcherDragoon
Geocacher


Joined: 02 Nov 2007

Posts: 976
Location: Southeastern Minnesota

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
minnstars wrote:
bflentje wrote:
And it wasn't related to me sticking my foot in my own mouth?


You said it not me! Wink ... But maybe it would be more fun if we could change the question with a slant directed toward challenge caches published by SPA's. Rolling Eyes Wink Wink Wink


You lost me..

Yep...I am lost too...
_________________
You may only be young once...but I will be immature forever!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tonkaMN
MnGCA Board


Joined: 10 Jun 2009

Posts: 795

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about when people re-hide your cache in a different spot or put it somewhere that makes it really hard to retrieve. Is it still bad form for the cache owner to log a found then? I have never done it, but sometimes it takes a while to find my caches because they get put in different spots.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group
Geocaching Cache Icons, Copyright 2009, Groundspeak Inc. All rights reserved. Used with Permission.