MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MN State Park Geocaching in 2012
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:55 am    Post subject: MN State Park Geocaching in 2012 Reply with quote

We keep hearing that the state parks are going to have a new geocaching program starting this May. I have no reason not to believe it will happen.

Is there anyone here that is as stupid as me for wanting to go around a third time? After completing the history and safari challenges, I vowed to be done with state parks. But now that others close to me have an interest in going around caching, camping and passporting, looks like I might be going for it.
kc9gbo
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was working on the series my first time around and hit just under twenty of the parks so far and have decided to wait for the next series so I don't end up chasing around the state again later this year. I'd still love to do the old series since I started out but I have to be smart about my caching.
I'm looking forward to returning to Blue Mounds, maybe this time I'll see some Bison!
sparkyfry
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: MN State Park Geocaching in 2012 Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
After completing the history and safari challenges, I vowed to be done with state parks. But now that others close to me have an interest in going around caching, camping and passporting, looks like I might be going for it.

http://youtu.be/UPw-3e_pzqU
TheGilby4
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm game for a third go around.... However, my wife might not agree! Shocked
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: MN State Park Geocaching in 2012 Reply with quote

sparkyfry wrote:
bflentje wrote:
After completing the history and safari challenges, I vowed to be done with state parks. But now that others close to me have an interest in going around caching, camping and passporting, looks like I might be going for it.

http://youtu.be/UPw-3e_pzqU

LOVE IT.

@Tony: I don't think I was ever off the hook with my wife. I am still paying for it. I bet Michelle would have no problem if I were out state parking. Wink
MNMizzou
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if you're going to go for a third round might I suggest purchasing the new DeLorme map book and you can get the new challenge done at the same time!
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MNMizzou wrote:
Well if you're going to go for a third round might I suggest purchasing the new DeLorme map book and you can get the new challenge done at the same time!

That's a good point. But not sure I'll go out of my way for the new DeLorme. If I get them by chance, great. But for DeLorme, once truly was enough.
Mrs. Mizzou
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MNMizzou wrote:

I think he's just looking for a buddy for his challenge-obsessed wife so he doesn't have to go along.
CharleneMae
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be nice if the parks would offer some details prior to the opening of their camping registration system. Even just the basics such as start date and top level program details would be enough to start planning our summer reservations and trips.
TheGilby4
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CharleneMae wrote:
It would be nice if the parks would offer some details prior to the opening of their camping registration system. Even just the basics such as start date and top level program details would be enough to start planning our summer reservations and trips.

Very good idea!
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hop onto Facebook and start posting your concerns to the MN State Park page TODAY. I know most people think I am nuts for worrying about this but why start the new program in JUNE, a full month or two into the new camping season.. all in the name of some stupid made up holiday, Get Outdoors Day or some other lame thing.
northtrekker
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last weekend I was at Jay Cooke, finally turning in the Safari cards for the finished challenge. I kept misplacing them and once I found the stack again, the plan was made to stop by the office and wrap things up. The park ranger said that the new challenge will start in May and have an "avian" theme. It would be great if the challenge was in place for Memorial weekend. I did send a note to the dnr asking about it ... details details. Haven't heard anything back from them yet.

Very Happy

~nt
CharleneMae
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I requested more information on the MN State Parks and trails facebook page a few weeks ago. They answered that the challenge will begin on National Outdoors day (or whatever it is called) on June 9th.

Some google searching uncovered that the MN DNR has been asking birding groups for pictures of to use on their cards for this Avian Adventure challenge. So yes, this next challenge has a birding theme.

We were also really hoping they could begin the challenge before Memorial weekend. We were hoping to get in some hiking and geocaching that weekend and start working on this next challenge.

We are still waiting to hear all the details on how this challenge will work. Will there be a "final" cache and where will it be located? How long will this challenge last? Any other new twists we would need to know about? It would help so much with our summer planning.
RudeRat
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like we're off on an ornathological trip to the rookeries and booming grounds Very Happy
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all of my whining on the SP Facebook page, I was sent a personal message to say that no matter how disappointed I am, the new program starts on June 9th, or was it the 19th..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Park Relations All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: