MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Garden Island 2012
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:26 pm    Post subject: Garden Island 2012 Reply with quote

My trip to Zippel is confirmed and we're booking an outing to Garden Island, Oak Island, and Penasse Island. It will be either August 4th or 5th.

Let me know if there is ANY interest in joining us and I'll schedule an event allowing us to celebrate as a group. We're considering Capt Deb and already in contact with her. Like back in 2008, it's a flat rate (for the boat) regardless of it being full or empty so the more the merrier and the cheaper.

I'll post here on and off until about June. If nobody shows any interest before then, I'll consider it a dead issue and our group of 5 will go it alone.

We are assuming that Andrewmcc will personally make sure there is a new State Park cache located on GI by the time we get there. Wink
kc9gbo
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep bumping this one would you? I may be interested in this if things work out on timing.
Rustynails
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are passports needed to get to this Mn. State Park?
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rustynails wrote:

The planned method for our group getting there requires a border crossing. I know at one time, you could get across with a DL and birth cert. Then they changed it to passports only. And now there's talk of being able to cross with DL and BC again.

My entire group will be on passports to be safe. In the event of a group joining us, a caravan will be required to cross the border so that we can avoid issues like we had back in 2008. One detained cacher won't hold the rest of us back.. Wink
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PLEASE NOTE..

Our goal is to charter the boat Friday August 3rd in the AM, using Saturday August 4th as the backup day in the event of bad weather.

Departure date and time will be fluid as we work with the charter service and any interested parties. One thing is for certain, it will be THIS weekend. Our group has no other weekend options.
Rustynails
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
Rustynails wrote:

The planned method for our group getting there requires a border crossing. I know at one time, you could get across with a DL and birth cert. Then they changed it to passports only. And now there's talk of being able to cross with DL and BC again.

My entire group will be on passports to be safe. In the event of a group joining us, a caravan will be required to cross the border so that we can avoid issues like we had back in 2008. One detained cacher won't hold the rest of us back.. Wink

Is this Mn state park in Canada? Why the need to cross a border to get to where you came from (Minnesota)? Question You should not need a passport to visit a state park.
RudeRat
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rustynails wrote:
You should not need a passport to visit a state park.
You don't, but it's a lot easier to get to if you pass through Canada.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While Lake of the Woods only averages about 30' in depth, if you've ever been in a boat on the open waters of LOTW, you will know why it is wise to approach from the Northwest Angle. Waves can be has high 3-4' from even the smallest breeze.
KRedEP
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rusty, look at a map. The kids who live in the Northwest Angle have to go through Canada to get to school every day in Warroad - at least they used to.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northwest_Angle
Rustynails
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get it now. I'm just trying to avoid paying $100.00 bucks for a passport.
jrest
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can opt for the Passport "Card" instead of the book if you want. This will allow for border crossings (into/out of Canada / Mexico). It is less expensive $55.00 versus $135.00 if you don't already have a valid passport and/or passport card.
loneeagle_24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the passcard and it worked just fine a year ago when I went with a group to garden island. As long as you aren't planning on flying and your only going to Mexico, or canada this method will work. You can also go to the carribean and bermuda by sea with this card.
RudeRat
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plan B
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Garden Island 2012 Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
We are assuming that Andrewmcc will personally make sure there is a new State Park cache located on GI by the time we get there. Wink

I've always been of the opinion (and I'm probably in the minority) that there shouldn't be a cache on GI, or at least it shouldn't be a requirement to complete the State Park caches. The expenses and headaches to get to the island are above and beyond the rest of the series, and can be out of reach for some.

Quote:
While Lake of the Woods only averages about 30' in depth, if you've ever been in a boat on the open waters of LOTW, you will know why it is wise to approach from the Northwest Angle. Waves can be has high 3-4' from even the smallest breeze.

I've done the trip from just north of Zippel Bay to GI in an open boat. As described, with even a slight breeze it can be a pretty nasty trip.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Garden Island 2012 Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
bflentje wrote:

I've always been of the opinion (and I'm probably in the minority) that there shouldn't be a cache on GI, or at least it shouldn't be a requirement to complete the State Park caches. The expenses and headaches to get to the island are above and beyond the rest of the series, and can be out of reach for some.

Quote:

I've done the trip from just north of Zippel Bay to GI in an open boat. As described, with even a slight breeze it can be a pretty nasty trip.

I am mostly in agreement with you. I am going for the experience (a second time) and not for any geocaching program they may start in 2012. The geocache would be a bonus.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: