MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

60csx VS. 62stc
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigChiefS4
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmnrec wrote:
Question on my 62s...I loaded a few caches into it to run up the shore..then, when I turned it on, none of the caches were popping up. I only have about 39 caches loaded in, and a SD card installed, so I don't think it was too many for the memory capability...when I got home, I tried to reload them, and it said they were in the GPS, and the files on the computer indicate their presence, so where did I go wrong?

Two things - if you're copying a GPX file to the unit, make sure you put it in \Garmin\GPX folder on the main unit, not the SD card.

Second, and this is the reason I returned my 62S and got a Montana 650T, is that almost every time I load a new GPX file (I use GSAK), when I would disconnect it from the computer and turn it on, it would turn itself off halfway through loading the caches. When I would turn it back on, the caches would either be nonexistent or not all of them would be there. It's a known issue with the 62S but none of the recent firmware upgrades completely fix the problem. IF this happens, you need to copy the GPX file again until it powers on properly (or resend the GPX via GSAK).

As a side note, the 62S can hold 5000 caches. I have over 9000 on my 650T and there's still room for more.
DeltaMikeAlpha
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I originally had this issue with my Oregon 450 and ended up returning it for a refund. I bought a 62S to replace it but ended up having the same issue. (I also generate a GPX file through GSAK and save it to my GPSr) After a lot of trial and error I thought the issue was related to the tracks recorded by the GPS rather than the file I was loading (Many times I could just delete the active track and reload the .gpx file and the unit would behave itself) so I started archiving my tracks daily instead of once memory is full (you can do this under settings). I have not been bothered by it since I did this and it's going on about 4 months now so knock on wood. If anyone else wants to try this solution and see if it works for them I'd be curious to know how it works out.
BigChiefS4
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's a track issue because eventually, reloading the GPX file WILL work. Sometimes it takes the first time, sometimes after the 3rd try, sometimes after the 8th try. It was getting very, very annoying. I didn't change anything on the GPS. I just kept reloading the same GPX file from GSAK and sooner or later it would work. There's no explanation for it.

Sad thing is, I still run into the same issue (albeit much less frequently) on my 650T. I think it's a GSAK issue.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: