MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

60csx VS. 62stc
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
loneeagle_24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:05 am    Post subject: 60csx VS. 62stc Reply with quote

Due to some circumstances I'd rather not discuss i am looking to get a new GPS. I have had the 60CSX and enjoy it. What I am wondering is if there is a big difference between that and the 62 (stc) series? Pro's - Con's or any other info you can give me. Does the 62 series come preloaded with maps? does anyone know of any sales on either unit at any stores?

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!
timewellspent
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: 60csx VS. 62stc Reply with quote

loneeagle_24 wrote:
Due to some circumstances I'd rather not discuss i am looking to get a new GPS. I have had the 60CSX and enjoy it. What I am wondering is if there is a big difference between that and the 62 (stc) series? Pro's - Con's or any other info you can give me. Does the 62 series come preloaded with maps? does anyone know of any sales on either unit at any stores?

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

I went from the 60CSX to the 62s. It is pretty much the same unit (great signal), but you also get the paperless caching and can do chirps and send caches/waypoints to compatible GPSr's. For some reason they didn't include the software to do Wherigo's. The "s" comes with just the base maps like the 60csx did.

I use the paperless feature for seeing the cache page, logs and for marking them found to upload to GC.com, but I don't take detailed notes since keying in lots of info can be a pain.
qwerty2582
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vaguely recall hearing people switching from a 62 back to a 60csx... perhaps if some of those people are watching, this would be a good time to speak up Smile

Or I might be completely making stuff up now...
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

qwerty2582 wrote:
I vaguely recall hearing people switching from a 62 back to a 60csx... perhaps if some of those people are watching, this would be a good time to speak up Smile

Or I might be completely making stuff up now...

I remember the same.
EPMinnesota
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't imagine switching back from a 62 to a 60 only because the 62 is a 60 but even better. Paperless, chirps, etc. were big factors for me.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EPMinnesota wrote:
I can't imagine switching back from a 62 to a 60 only because the 62 is a 60 but even better. Paperless, chirps, etc. were big factors for me.

I thought the 62 was slow at processing signals?
qwerty2582
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
EPMinnesota wrote:

That's right bflentje - That was the complaint I heard about them. It was as slow as the oregons are, and good at getting you past the spot then back to it...
timewellspent
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qwerty2582 wrote:
bflentje wrote:
EPMinnesota wrote:

That's right bflentje - That was the complaint I heard about them. It was as slow as the oregons are, and good at getting you past the spot then back to it...

I've never had that problem with my 62s. Firmware issue maybe? I went to a cache today with two Oregon owners. My GPSr was showing zero feet to cache which was in arms reach of the cache and theirs were showing 30 feet away still until they finally settled down. Granted if they had a 60CSx they would have been standing right next to me Razz
dmnrec
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know how to delete a cache from a GPSmap 62s? I've tried everything and went over the manual on-line and cannot figure out how to do it....I've figured out how to delete a waypoint, and I've tried changing a geocache into a waypoint and deleting it, but it still stays in my cache list.
IBcrashen
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmnrec wrote:
Does anyone know how to delete a cache from a GPSmap 62s? I've tried everything and went over the manual on-line and cannot figure out how to do it....I've figured out how to delete a waypoint, and I've tried changing a geocache into a waypoint and deleting it, but it still stays in my cache list.

after looking at the thread below I believe the only way is to send a new gpx file to the unit.

http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=280953&st=0&p=4833814&#entry4833814

which was linked to from this thread

http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=282031
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't delete an individual geocache from a gpx file. You can't even edit it.
All you can do is delete the entire file or edit it off on your pc and then reload it.

However you can also upload caches as waypoints instead which would allow you to use the waypoint editor and to delete individual waypoints. But you won't be able to do the paperless caching that way.
dmnrec
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I was able to get it done...though, it makes it a little difficult to do since you have to go by the codes, instead of the names. Now, all I have to do is be able to figure out how to work it a little easier "in the field". I'm still fumbling around trying to get to certain pages out there. Looks like it would be a better GPS if I buy the additional maps also. The ones in there show limited roads.
northtrekker
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:55 pm    Post subject: Speaking of the 60 csx ... Reply with quote

Geesh it is now 409.99 on Amazon. What's that all about? Last year at this time I bought the same one for $181 for someone. I should have bought one for northtrekker back then! Maybe this one is gold plated...

Smile

~nt
dmnrec
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question on my 62s...I loaded a few caches into it to run up the shore..then, when I turned it on, none of the caches were popping up. I only have about 39 caches loaded in, and a SD card installed, so I don't think it was too many for the memory capability...when I got home, I tried to reload them, and it said they were in the GPS, and the files on the computer indicate their presence, so where did I go wrong?
Red_Devil35
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check your settings. I had to reboot my 76CX and I couldn't see any caches either, until I adjusted my 'map' settings. Under 'setup', 'maps', and 'map points'. Try changing your zoom. I have mine set at 12mi.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: