MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A good way to learn?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
k9soldier
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:22 pm    Post subject: A good way to learn? Reply with quote

i was wondering how people feel about geocaching videos, as a newbie its help me learn about different type of hides, this is one of my favorites http://youtu.be/DHY9cHqMwoo I see allot of comments on logs saying so and so had to call geocacher3??? to find cache ect... so as a newbie i don't have that.. so what do you all think?
spd2662
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have mixed feelings on these as most people probably do. I think it's cool to see other types of caches out there but I don't know that I would like any of my hides shown to everyone. It would be flattering to have a hide that someone thought was cool enough to post until everyone figured out where the person making the videos was from. One of these guys got himself banned from Groundspeak for a while because of complaints from cache hiders that he was posting spoilers. If you watch enough of these you'll come across his youtube channel.
WestSideDaddy
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say I really love them. I especially like the British guy "Geocachespoilers" http://www.youtube.com/user/geocachespoilers

As long as they aren't disclosing what the GC # is, or showing the coords, I think it's a great way to share.

At least that's my opinion.
Hal-oween
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would rather be surprised out in the field.
butcherandswimmer
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best way to learn is go to and event and join a group of cachers that have done it for awhile or go to any WNC event and join in the fun.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I maintain a website of caching experiences but I only ever advertise posts that are about my own caches. The spoilers for others remain hidden.
RudeRat
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would you ever travel out of your way to go find a cache youknow everything about after you saw video divulging all of the creators secrets? Itís my belief that these caches are great because of what happens in the field while you are searching for them. Learning about them from others, and particularly from a video, only takes away from the intended fun.

A very nicely done video was made for one of my caches, and the videographer was kind enough to seek my permission to publish it. I reluctantly said no because I strongly prefer people experience the cache for themselves rather than watch it online. Posting a video of a cache is like posting the solution to a puzzle. Once the cache is archived is a great time to come out with the video, or divulge the solution to a puzzle, but not while it is active IMHO.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RudeRat wrote:
Why would you ever travel out of your way to go find a cache youknow everything about after you saw video divulging all of the creators secrets? Itís my belief that these caches are great because of what happens in the field while you are searching for them. Learning about them from others, and particularly from a video, only takes away from the intended fun.

A very nicely done video was made for one of my caches, and the videographer was kind enough to seek my permission to publish it. I reluctantly said no because I strongly prefer people experience the cache for themselves rather than watch it online. Posting a video of a cache is like posting the solution to a puzzle. Once the cache is archived is a great time to come out with the video, or divulge the solution to a puzzle, but not while it is active IMHO.

Live and let live. Wink
AerosmithPA
MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RudeRat wrote:

RudeRat's Southern Breeze.

Video no longer for sale on black market.

GC2TGNX.
KRedEP
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with most of the comments above. The exciting part of geocaching is not knowing what you will find when you arrive. Having said that, I also don't have an issue with people calling and asking for help (it's a community builder after all) and I'm always happy to help people if they are stuck. Feel free to email me if you are stuck on a cache that I have found.
butcherandswimmer
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RudeRat wrote:

GC2QNWX
Created by: ruderat. Who made this movie? and I could not have found it without watching the vidio
RudeRat
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AerosmithPA wrote:
RudeRat wrote:

GC2TGNX.

Thanks again for waiting for me to archive the cache before publishing the video. Very Happy
AerosmithPA
MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RudeRat wrote:
AerosmithPA wrote:
RudeRat wrote:

GC2TGNX.

Thanks again for waiting for me to archive the cache before publishing the video. Very Happy

The CO was the only one to used my video to make the find (on a maintenance run). So, you're welcome!
dornole
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't say I've looked into these but I can see enjoying some "armchair caching" especially, say different countries where I'm unlikely to go.
ChristaM
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dornole wrote:
Can't say I've looked into these but I can see enjoying some "armchair caching" especially, say different countries where I'm unlikely to go.

Yeah, the same, the same;)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: