MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Religious?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
navychief98
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:21 pm    Post subject: Religious? Reply with quote

According to the Groundspeak Help Center, #4:

Geocaches do not solicit for any purpose. Geocaches perceived to be posted for religious, political, charitable or social agendas are not permitted. Geocaching is intended to be a light and enjoyable family-friendly hobby, not a platform for an agenda.

Here's my question - Can we use information from the Bible (family friendly and also family oriented) to create puzzles?

For instance:

Using distances, ages, names of places, length of battles, etc.

If I had a regular or large container, with a Bible in it at one location of a multi-stage and directed the cacher to solve a puzzle with information from the Bible at stage 1, why not?

No agenda. Not pushing values or ideals on anyone. Just using the information in the 66 Books of the Bible.
NeverSummer
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Religious? Reply with quote

navychief98 wrote:

Geocaches do not solicit for any purpose. Geocaches perceived to be posted for religious, political, charitable or social agendas are not permitted. Geocaching is intended to be a light and enjoyable family-friendly hobby, not a platform for an agenda.

Here's my question - Can we use information from the Bible (family friendly and also family oriented) to create puzzles?

For instance:

If I had a regular or large container, with a Bible in it at one location of a multi-stage and directed the cacher to solve a puzzle with information from the Bible at stage 1, why not?

No agenda. Not pushing values or ideals on anyone. Just using the information in the 66 Books of the Bible.

The Bible is just a book to the general public, until you say something that could be considered proselytizing.

I did a really, really good one when I lived in Oregon that said nothing of the source, but had text from a Psalm. It was a blast...

If you're really worried, shoot MN.Fruitcake or Gat R Done an email. They'll help make sure it gets published without breaking any guidelines.
navychief98
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know MN: Fruitcake is here so that is why I posted it here. Also, I thought other reviewers might be browsing the Forums too and am seeking their input as well.

Shoot me an email of the one you did (as mentioned).
MN.Fruitcake
Minnesota Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Religious? Reply with quote

navychief98 wrote:

For instance:

Yes, the Bible would be an acceptable source for a puzzle. I can't answer for sure if the cache would be publishable until I (or another reviewer) sees the cache page, but the premise that you suggest sounds fine.
navychief98
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks MN: Fruitcake. Very Happy
dmnrec
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one once, called G6.15 and it had taken EC 5 hours after it was published to figure it out Laughing
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmnrec wrote:
I had one once, called G6.15 and it had taken EC 5 hours after it was published to figure it out Laughing

IIRC, I solved that one for us, and solved it much quicker than that (and looking at it now, I think it may have been some dumb luck). I was working when I solved it, so it took us a few hours to actually get out to GZ after I was done with work. I still remember the hide though (which is odd since it was almost 5 years ago).

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=38d4989d-274f-4b0d-9f2a-e18f7c900e28
IBcrashen
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might/will offend some, they will live. I know us vampires will not be able to touch it, we wont, but that is what the ignore list is for.
Kurt Franke
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's a puzzle and I can solve it (small miricle)... and then make the find (miricle #2)... I will be happy to log it, posting a corresponding photo of me TEBOWING! WWPfD?

Kurt Franke
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: