MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Northern MN/WI caching group name?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MnGCA Forum Index -> Northern MN
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spd2662
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeverSummer wrote:

edit to add:
I, and many other geocachers in our area, were not able to come to the event to join in the original conversation you had there. Because of this fact, you are going to have to be prepared for the conversation to continue when you post it in a public forum like this. This is my (and for others) only opportunity to engage in the conversation we were not part of. Because of this fact, what seemed like a "done deal" after a great event was actually just the beginning. You came in here prepared to make a decision based on some spitballing at the event, yet there are others that needed the chance to weigh in. I have a feeling that, if I were able to attend and get in on the conversation, you wouldn't have this animosity toward me.

Oooohhhhh, after rereading this I now understand why you are so upset. You feel like "we" left you out of the decision to form a group. It all makes sense now. Trust me, that is not the case since "we" really didn't form any group. It was just casual conversation about what a good sized group we're getting to be around here. No serious decisions were made and we're still a bunch of independent cachers. I just wanted to get together more often. Pretty easy. I really enjoy being around everyone. If you want to form an official group you can feel free because that is much more work than I ever wanted. I am going to happily go about my work of making prizes and collectibles and caching with my friends. I am sorry that you got so upset over a misunderstanding.

I do not, and have never had any animosity toward you. Frustration, yes, animosity, no.
Manfromwillow
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeverSummer wrote:
Shocked
I'm not seeing any demonstration that you have taken my, and other's feedback seriously.

even if a person asks for other's opinions, it doesn't mean they have to take them (the opinions) to heart
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I think that's probably good:

Take the personal discussions to PM please.
NeverSummer
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever the outcome, I hope that time is taken to get feedback from as many people in the area of concern as possible. It's not a bad idea, and with time could really take off. All it takes is an idea, but being deliberate and not rushing into things would be a good idea.

That being said...brainstorming, here...

How about D.A.R.C.? Duluth Area Regular Cachers? (if it is to focus on Duluth...)

Or "F.T.F. Cachers"...as in Follow The Footprints Cachers?

You could call events "Gitche Gatherings", as an idea, too. No need for a group name, just a consistent event name. I call dibs.
Wink
dmnrec
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't have a problem with some sort of nickname for the cachers in the northern area. If it would be used to publicize social events, such as a breakfast, would anyone be able to use the name or just certain people? How does it happen elsewhere as far as the Wednesday night group in the cities? For example, does one person organize where to go each week, or is it a group effort?

As a side note, when I was in the cities a few years back, it happened to be on a Wednesday and Silent Bob invited me to go with the group. I had to get back "up north", but if I had time, I would have had no problem going to it as I considered it an event, not an inclusive group.
EPMinnesota
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WNC in the cities works like this. ANYONE, and I mean ANYONE, posts a small group of caches to seek on any given Weds night at 7:30 year round. Parking coordinates are posted as well as a place to meet for eats afterwards or eats suggestions are requested. Everyone meets at the parking coords by 7:30 and then they set out from there. Once everyone is back to the parking coords, they head to eats.
ANY ONE individual ANYWHERE can post for it. It's a first come first serve kind of thing. They generally consist of a group of perhaps 3-4 caches in a single park that are within walking range of each other. They're generally newer ones so that they haven't been found by a lot of cachers. ANY ONE that happens to be in the cities THAT NIGHT is more than welcome to attend. EVERYONE is welcome. The more the merrier. Sometimes there are 2 people that show up...sometimes 50. The mix of cachers is never the same twice.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'all missed the Sunday Morning Cachers and Urban Explorers meeting two weeks ago. You'll never be able to top that one. Our gang is top drawer.
ArcherDragoon
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SE Minnesota Cachers will stay out of this conversation...as well as the Collee Region Cachers...
Laughing Laughing Laughing
spd2662
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's really sad here is that I'm still getting PM's from a person who says all he cares about is making sure no one is alienated and no one is left out and then he goes and posts an event for leap year before the one already scheduled by Navychief98. The first one was already published and was in the last Groundspeak newsletter so there is no way he didn't know. Also, our last event got kicked back by MN Fruitcake because we mentioned Arby's in it but his hint gives the business name and address....hmmm. And he calls me a hypocrite in his PM's. I am more than frustrated right now.

I'm sure this has nothing to do with him being able to get an event posted with a business name in it when we don't.
NeverSummer wrote:
It does not appear to me that you are considering what I, PearHead and bflentje have to say.
You did, in fact, ask for names for "our area group", and I, PearHead, bflentje and some others who emailed me personally, said that they worry about the implications of such an idea.

This is a hobby and is supposed to be fun. Why do people play games and purposely try to hurt others to get back at them. Have your leap year event and enjoy the fact that the only reason you did it was to undermine us. Very childish.
NOSNOW
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you look at the time of each event. Everyone should be able to make both event.
spd2662
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's true, they could. My point was that for his very first event cache ever he posted it right before one that was already scheduled by a friend of someone he is upset with. That was not a coincidence. I know Navychief98 has put a lot of time and effort into scheduling his event and it is sad that someone who claims he doesn't want to alienate people does this intentionally.
ArcherDragoon
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spd2662 wrote:
What's really sad here is that I'm still getting PM's from a person who says all he cares about is making sure no one is alienated and no one is left out and then he goes and posts an event for leap year before the one already scheduled by Navychief98. The first one was already published and was in the last Groundspeak newsletter so there is no way he didn't know. Also, our last event got kicked back by MN Fruitcake because we mentioned Arby's in it but his hint gives the business name and address....hmmm. And he calls me a hypocrite in his PM's. I am more than frustrated right now.

I'm sure this has nothing to do with him being able to get an event posted with a business name in it when we don't.
NeverSummer wrote:
It does not appear to me that you are considering what I, PearHead and bflentje have to say.
You did, in fact, ask for names for "our area group", and I, PearHead, bflentje and some others who emailed me personally, said that they worry about the implications of such an idea.

This is a hobby and is supposed to be fun. Why do people play games and purposely try to hurt others to get back at them. Have your leap year event and enjoy the fact that the only reason you did it was to undermine us. Very childish.

And...without knowing all the details of the listing prior to being published...how one mentions the name of a business can violate commercial listing guidelines and I am sure MNFruitcake explain why he sent back the listing.

I have had a listing or two (maybe more) for similar things...just make the correction and resubmit...

As for the other stuff in the post...to quote (closely) a favorite childhood cartoon of mine...I am not going to touch that with a 39 and half foot pole...
navychief98
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright ... time for review.

We have the Mother of all names, the founders themselves, Groundspeak.

From there, Mama dearest has smaller groups in each state of the union. Our is called the Minnesota Geocachers Association (MnGCA).

Now, for the noted grandchildren of Mama dearest (Groundspeak) from the posts in this Forum...(here we go):
Southwest Metro REDheads
Cooler Crew Cachers
North Star Geocachers
Concord Geocaching Association
Cuyuna Lakes GeoNuts
Monday Morning Caching Crew
WNC
Sunday Morning Cachers
Urban Explorers
Southeast Minnesota Cachers
Collee Region Cachers

Here are the suggestions I've noted from the posts in this Forum:

Twin Ports Geocachers
Lake Superior Geocachers
D.A.R.C. (Duluth Area Regular Geocachers)
F.T.F. Cachers (Follow the Footprints Cachers)
Northland Treasure Hunters

So, folks, what have we learned? What's in a name? FUN! I am 50 years old and enjoy Geocaching like there is no tomorrow.

For now, I am using the name "Northland Treasure Hunters" for the events I am setting up or will set up in the future. I like the name because I live in the Northland of Minnesota and I like "treasure hunting" as much as Geocaching. (same same same)

I hope everyone is well. I hope to meet you all in the future at some FUN events whether in the Northland or in the Twin Cities. I remember reading somewhere that this GAME is about "Getting out of the house and doing something." I know I read that somewhere.

I like prizes. I like trinkets. I like FUN!

That's it! I'm done. See you all on the trails!
NeverSummer
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The event I created will be for the community and hosted by me. It deliberately scheduled it earlier than the other event (Which, by the way, is in another state), and even mentioned how people should head over to navychief's event at 8.

I was considerate, thoughtful, and sought to give folks who can't make it out late on a weeknight an event to attend. Events are rarely published if there is an intentional conflict. MN.Fruitcake (and all other Reviewers I have worked with since 2005) are very clear about that. I left it open to attend both, an earlier one in MN, or a later one across "the bridge" in WI. It was a way to be inclusive. Anyone can attend, even you! (gesturing to everyone in the room)

As for the "commercial" aspect, I posted a reviewer note an asked if, and how to mention a business in a listing. The way I submitted it was the way MN.Fruitcake published it. Being familiar with the thread about Reviewer policy here, and the discussions about "commercial caches" that have happened throughout recent years, I knew it may be an issue if not approached carefully.

Just as before, this isn't personal. No vendetta. No conspiracy.
spd2662
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have said enough here and I am not going to take it any further. It's done.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MnGCA Forum Index -> Northern MN All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: