MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Northern MN/WI caching group name?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MnGCA Forum Index -> Northern MN
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KRedEP
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red_Devil35 wrote:
RudeRat wrote:
Southwest Metro Readheads.
While I do read quite a bit, and I am sure the other ladies do also, it is REDheads.

I do like to read, and I wish I had time to read more. But that would interfere with my caching time.
Red_Devil35
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RudeRat wrote:
Red_Devil35 wrote:
RudeRat wrote:
Southwest Metro Readheads.
While I do read quite a bit, and I am sure the other ladies do also, it is REDheads.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7mIy97_rlo

Notice how his tie doesn't move?
spd2662
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am definately going to use that video next time I have to apologize. I'm sure it will happen as it has happened once so far in my life.
Aix sponsa
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any name works for me. You can call yourselves "Sue." If you have eyes to find caches and brains to figure out the puzzles, I'll join in with you. With the observation made by Red_Devil35, I'm thinking that any group caching event that RD35 is in would be a good one to join.

NeverSummer
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spd2662 wrote:
All I simply asked for here was for input on a name. That's all, that's it, nothing more. If you want to help in something fun, great. If not, I really don't need lectures about alienating people over something as petty as wanting to do something fun for people around here. Seriously, a three paragraph statement about this? If you would have come to the event you would have seen that we made fun keepsakes to remember the event. Thanks for sucking the fun out of a simple attempt to add some camaraderie to the area.

spd, it doesn't sound like you want my camaraderie. Great way to alienate an experienced geocacher in your area. Well played. So far you've had a couple of geocachers from the immediate area weigh in, a few others from very nearby, and some from farther south. You've asked for feedback, and it is being given.

I did try to make it to the event, and everyone was gone by the time I got there.

I'm sorry that thinking critically and trying to be logical about the inclusiveness of a geocaching group came across as a personal attack. I was sharing my opinion as a fellow geocacher in the Duluth area. I gave a decent suggestion with "Twin Ports Geocachers", and something like AerosmithPA's "Lake Superior Geocachers" is another fitting name.

However, in my experience, simply having a name for a group of cachers can be a bit of an ominous thing to overcome as an outsider. It is something to consider, spd, even if it deflates your intention a bit.
EPMinnesota
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt sppd wants to exclude anyone. Looks like he's just trying to have some fun like we do down here. I'm sure he'd be happy to welcome anyone like the SW Metro Redheads does.
Rustynails
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The group (Monday Morning Caching Crew) would blow any other competition away Wink .
spd2662
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EXACTLY!!!! I was only trying to have F U N!! I get way too much SERIOUS THOUGHT at work. This is a hobby so let's have F U N together!! No serious consideration for the possible alienation of the unknown entities existing in our universe of commonality. Just F U N !!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIIbswah7Ko

And if you speak German (which I don't but anything silly that's sung in German makes me laugh, I don't know why)...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZSKFW_bhrg

P.S. I want everyone's camaraderie. Don't take my posts personally. There is nothing personal in them. Relax, enjoy the ride and let's not take ourselves too serious. Just like the picture above...
navychief98
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RudeRat wrote:
With groups like the Southwest Metro REDheads, Cooler Crew Cachers, North Star GeoSeekers, Concord Geocaching Association and the Cuyuna Lakes GeoNuts to name a few, I have no problem with a little local organization.

As the co-organizer of the Duluth Chow, Chat, and Cache event, this quote is the kind of input we are looking for. Thans RudeRat!
NeverSummer
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spd2662 wrote:

P.S. I want everyone's camaraderie. Don't take my posts personally. There is nothing personal in them. Relax, enjoy the ride and let's not take ourselves too serious. Just like the picture above...

spd, that bridge has already been burned. I hoped you wouldn't take the input you solicited too personally. Clearly, that didn't happen. Dismissing even one person's feelings in this discussion only serves to show how someone else could easily be dismissed. Whether you realize it or not, it is a very important thing to be aware of--the alienation of people in our geocaching area. I am not the only person who feels that this is something serious to consider.

Instead of being dismissive or only seeking feedback that supports your view, we need to be prepared to take other's input into consideration. It's how good organization occurs--working together and finding common ground.
navychief98
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spd2662 wrote:
EXACTLY!!!! I was only trying to have F U N!!!

To everyone out there in the world of treasure hunting, prizes, souvenirs, nick knacks, whatever you want to cal F U N, is the reason we're looking for a name.

When spd2662 and I set up our January event, we were tod we couldn't use Breakfast Buddies because that name belongs to the MnGCA, although not registered or trademarked, or copyrighted.

We want to create cups, mugs, shirts, coins, wooden nickels, etc. for the geocachers who Coe to our parties. F U N comes in any fashions.

The pro sports ave hats, jerseys, big foam fingers, etc.

The Olympics have their garb.

Groundspeak and MnGCA have theirs.

We are just trying to JAZZ up our F U N in the Northland!

That's all.

I hope ths clarifies spd2662's request in his original post.

I really don't want to wear a red wig unless the REDheads would have me.
NeverSummer
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

navychief98 wrote:
RudeRat wrote:
With groups like the Southwest Metro REDheads, Cooler Crew Cachers, North Star GeoSeekers, Concord Geocaching Association and the Cuyuna Lakes GeoNuts to name a few, I have no problem with a little local organization.

As the co-organizer of the Duluth Chow, Chat, and Cache event, this quote is the kind of input we are looking for. Thans RudeRat!

Unfortunately, a couple of those are examples of groups that made me feel like a hopeless outsider when I moved to the Twin Cities back in 2009. I'm sorry if that comes as a surprise to anyone, but it is my reality.

I'm not saying that "a little organization" is a bad thing. Being inclusive is key, and awareness about the feelings and attitudes of other geocachers in the area is paramount. The purpose of the MnGCA is to "provide a resource for Minnesota geocachers to organize activities and events that will improve the credibility of the sport, protect our natural resources and strengthen the community of geocachers in the state of Minnesota." This is clear with the organizing that the MNGCA has undertaken, yet the smaller "organizing" may or may not exhibit similar goals or mission unless they carefully consider it.

Just something to consider. I'm not "right". I simply think input from a local cacher is important in the formation of any "organization" with which I might choose to associate is worthwhile. I'd prefer to feel included in the gatherings and events that occur around our area, and be sure to not do anything that could alienate anyone old, new or otherwise in our area.
navychief98
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, a couple of those are examples of groups that made me feel like a hopeless outsider when I moved to the Twin Cities back in 2009. I'm sorry if that comes as a surprise to anyone, but it is my reality.

Part of the reason spd2662 and I brought ths up is because the majority f the MnGCA's activities are in the Twin Cities.

We are also trying to bring the MnGCA's benefits to greater exposure in the Northland.
navychief98
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rustynails wrote:
The group (Monday Morning Caching Crew) would blow any other competition away Wink .

On behalf of the ????? group of cachers around Duluth, I accept your challenge Rustynails!

Email me and we'll set up the day of competition, requirements, prizes, number of cachers per team, D/T .... Etc.

IT'S ON!
Manfromwillow
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

navychief98 wrote:
Rustynails wrote:

On behalf of the ????? group of cachers around Duluth, I accept your challenge Rustynails!

Email me and we'll set up the day of competition, requirements, prizes, number of cachers per team, D/T .... Etc.

IT'S ON!
now that sounds like fun! Make it public when and where and I'm there!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MnGCA Forum Index -> Northern MN All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: