MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Northern MN/WI caching group name?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MnGCA Forum Index -> Northern MN
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spd2662
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:51 pm    Post subject: Northern MN/WI caching group name? Reply with quote

At the recent event (Chow, Chat and Cache) we talked about naming our area group and have more frequent get-togethers. Please post your ideas here...

P.S. Thanks for making the event a HUGE success. It was a ton of fun going out caching together afterward. Hope to see you all again real soon!!
NeverSummer
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't make it in time for the event, so I didn't get in on the conversation. I think this discussion may not get much attention here in the MNGCA forum, but I can't think of a better place...So...

Depending on how limited "we" want the scope to be, the name "Twin Ports Geocachers" is something I've heard from time to time. This limits the name to the Twin Ports, however. If we want to include those that are in Grand Rapids or Two Harbors or Grand Marais...that's up for debate. If we wanted to be exclusive, we could have a slogan like, "I can see Lake Superior from my house!"

I do think, however, that those who have been caching and living here in the area for a long time should have a slightly weighted opinion when it comes down to deciding on a name. As someone who has only lived and cached on the "Shore" for 3 years now, I don't know how I feel about blurting out ideas. Folks like ghost640, PearHead, EskoClimber, etc might be good folks to make sure are in the loop for this discussion...

I'm personally not so keen on having a "name" for "us". It can feel tough enough to be included in the game without having a "gang" in the area. As much as we all would be inclusive and keen on unity, it is a hurdle for many to overcome.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure why you need to split off into a new group with a new name. Can't you set up camp here in the northern MN group?
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeverSummer wrote:
I didn't make it in time for the event, so I didn't get in on the conversation.

Unfortunately I was working during the event so I also missed out on the conversation...

Quote:
I'm personally not so keen on having a "name" for "us". It can feel tough enough to be included in the game without having a "gang" in the area. As much as we all would be inclusive and keen on unity, it is a hurdle for many to overcome.

I didn't respond to the original post for the same reason. I'm not keen on having a name (or a particular group) as it tends to include/exclude certain people. For example, where do you draw the line for geographical boundaries? If you say just Duluth/Superior/Hermantown/Proctor then you exclude a large number of people (myself included). If you extend it to say...20 miles outside of Duluth then you're still excluding a couple (I believe Ghost falls outside that circle). 50 miles and you're still excluding some pretty active people like jicknarson and Aix Sponsa. I could go on.

There is a FB group for folks interested in caching in/around Duluth:

http://www.facebook.com/groups/123143337770919/

I'm all for having a group of people that congregate in the same area (be it here, FB, both, wherever), but at the same time I'm currently all for keeping it as informal as possible.
NeverSummer
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
NeverSummer wrote:
I didn't make it in time for the event, so I didn't get in on the conversation.

Unfortunately I was working during the event so I also missed out on the conversation...

Quote:

I didn't respond to the original post for the same reason. I'm not keen on having a name (or a particular group) as it tends to include/exclude certain people. For example, where do you draw the line for geographical boundaries? If you say just Duluth/Superior/Hermantown/Proctor then you exclude a large number of people (myself included). If you extend it to say...20 miles outside of Duluth then you're still excluding a couple (I believe Ghost falls outside that circle). 50 miles and you're still excluding some pretty active people like jicknarson and Aix Sponsa. I could go on.

There is a FB group for folks interested in caching in/around Duluth:

http://www.facebook.com/groups/123143337770919/

I'm all for having a group of people that congregate in the same area (be it here, FB, both, wherever), but at the same time I'm currently all for keeping it as informal as possible.

+1.
Well said, PH
spd2662
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We just thought it would be kind of fun for get-togethers. We're not talking some kind of exclusive club, just something to use for posting events and the like. Noone mentioned splitting off from anyone and I didn't know there was already a northern MN group. Think nickname....very informal. I don't see how anyone could read anything more serious into my post.

P.S. I would love to get involved with the Northern MN group (now that I know they exist) and this is not anything to compete with them, rather a group to have fun together with everyone at local events.
NeverSummer
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spd2662 wrote:
We just thought it would be kind of fun for get-togethers. We're not talking some kind of exclusive club, just something to use for posting events and the like. Noone mentioned splitting off from anyone and I didn't know there was already a northern MN group. Think nickname....very informal. I don't see how anyone could read anything more serious into my post.

P.S. I would love to get involved with the Northern MN group (now that I know they exist) and this is not anything to compete with them, rather a group to have fun together with everyone at local events.

If that's the case, I don't see a need for a name, not matter how informally it is used. I'm in the MNGCA, and can associate with the existing "organization" in Northern Minnesota if I wish. "Naming" the "group" can and will alienate someone. I can think of some not-to-be-named "groups" I've seen elsewhere while caching. It all came across as more of a gang than an open and inviting group.
spd2662
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I simply asked for here was for input on a name. That's all, that's it, nothing more. If you want to help in something fun, great. If not, I really don't need lectures about alienating people over something as petty as wanting to do something fun for people around here. Seriously, a three paragraph statement about this? If you would have come to the event you would have seen that we made fun keepsakes to remember the event. Thanks for sucking the fun out of a simple attempt to add some camaraderie to the area.
AerosmithPA
MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Northern MN/WI caching group name? Reply with quote

spd2662 wrote:
At the recent event (Chow, Chat and Cache) we talked about naming our area group and have more frequent get-togethers. Please post your ideas here...

P.S. Thanks for making the event a HUGE success. It was a ton of fun going out caching together afterward. Hope to see you all again real soon!!

If you feel need/desire to organize, I suggest something like Lake Superior Geocachers. Specific to a geographic region, yet general enough to include anyone (who wants to be included) from a huge area who caches that area, including MN, WI, U.P., ON, etc. etc. etc.
spd2662
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestion. I really wasn't trying to organize I was just trying to build a feeling of camaraderie between those of us from around here. I think it's kind of cool to have a souvenir from an event with a fun logo from the local cachers and that's what I'm up to. I am not all that creative at coming up with names so I was hoping for help.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Northern MN/WI caching group name? Reply with quote

AerosmithPA wrote:
spd2662 wrote:

If you feel need/desire to organize, I suggest something like Lake Superior Geocachers. Specific to a geographic region, yet general enough to include anyone (who wants to be included) from a huge area who caches that area, including MN, WI, U.P., ON, etc. etc. etc.

Nice.
RudeRat
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With groups like the Southwest Metro REDheads, Cooler Crew Cachers, North Star GeoSeekers, Concord Geocaching Association and the Cuyuna Lakes GeoNuts to name a few, I have no problem with a little local organization. It's fun, and that's what geocaching is all about. Some day all these groups will get together to compete in the Minnesota Geocaching Championships, and that’s the day we’ll all realize that we’re all Minnesotans, and some of the best darn geocachers in the world. I look forward to seeing what the Happy Cachers of the Northland can come up with to make the game more fun for all.

Last edited by RudeRat on Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Minnesota Geocaching Championships

Sounds like potential?
Red_Devil35
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RudeRat wrote:
Southwest Metro Readheads.
While I do read quite a bit, and I am sure the other ladies do also, it is REDheads.
RudeRat
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red_Devil35 wrote:
RudeRat wrote:
Southwest Metro Readheads.
While I do read quite a bit, and I am sure the other ladies do also, it is REDheads.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7mIy97_rlo
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MnGCA Forum Index -> Northern MN All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: