MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Favorites
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KRedEP
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:59 pm    Post subject: Favorites Reply with quote

Anyone have any trouble giving out their favorites? We are pretty stingy with giving them, but tonight noticed that some caches that we gave a favorite point to last week, now don't have the point. Anyone else have troubles with the favorite points sticking?
Rustynails
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave one last weeks and it's there.
Copaman
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem. I give out favorites and then bookmark them, and I noticed tonight I had more bookmarks than actual favorites. I re-favorited them. Kind of weird, but I saw it too.
KRedEP
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copaman wrote:
I had the same problem. I give out favorites and then bookmark them, and I noticed tonight I had more bookmarks than actual favorites. I re-favorited them. Kind of weird, but I saw it too.

hmm, bookmark, didn't think of that. Seems like a lot of extra work. But I really don't remember, so can't even go back to see what other ones are missing. Thanks for the idea.
sparkyfry
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I've had the same problem, but am not sure for similar reasons of uncertain memory. I'm not positive about this, but I have a theory that the favorite point is less likely to register if you do it on the screen that appears just after you submit a log. So instead of logging the favorite then, I go back to the main cache page and do it then. I think it works then more often, but I'm not sure.
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing the favorite points has done for me is to confirm that my opinion of what makes a good cache is way different than that of a lot of people.
Rustynails
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moe the Sleaze wrote:
The only thing the favorite points has done for me is to confirm that my opinion of what makes a good cache is way different than that of a lot of people.

Question What in your opinion makes a good cache?
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moe the Sleaze wrote:

Not sure if I should Shocked or Rolling Eyes .

I ask the very same question Rustnails does.. while the favorite system is not perfect, I've found it to be one of the nicer features Groundspeak has implemented in a long, long, time.
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've stated my opinions on what types of caches I do and do not enjoy in plenty of other threads. Suffice it to say that I have found numerous caches with multiple favorite points that left me scratching my head and thinking, "really?".
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moe the Sleaze wrote:
I've stated my opinions on what types of caches I do and do not enjoy in plenty of other threads. Suffice it to say that I have found numerous caches with multiple favorite points that left me scratching my head and thinking, "really?".

I find it hard to argue with you with caches like this around: http://coord.info/GC2ZK7J

But I still find favorite points useful for picking out interesting caches that I might overlook otherwise.
timewellspent
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pfalstad wrote:
Moe the Sleaze wrote:

I find it hard to argue with you with caches like this around: http://coord.info/GC2ZK7J

What's wrong with that cache? I thought it was done very well although it should fall under the SBA based on its hide. This is what the cache looks like.
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

timewellspent wrote:
pfalstad wrote:
Moe the Sleaze wrote:

What's wrong with that cache? I thought it was done very well although it should fall under the SBA based on its hide. This is what the cache looks like.

I'm not saying it's bad, but is that all it takes to be the third most favorited cache in Nevada? Wink I didn't find it so I'll have to take your word for it.
timewellspent
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pfalstad wrote:
timewellspent wrote:
pfalstad wrote:
Moe the Sleaze wrote:

I'm not saying it's bad, but is that all it takes to be the third most favorited cache in Nevada? Wink I didn't find it so I'll have to take your word for it.

Well you can see it isn't on my fav list, but the hide was done well. A nice wooden box to hold the ammo can with the handle on the box being a film canister as in what the next 1499 caches will be Shocked
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moe the Sleaze wrote:

I admit there is some misuse of the favorites system but overall, I am happy with it. Where I agree with you? Mingo, Beverly, several other state's oldest caches that get favorites simply because of the historical value.
MNMizzou
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found if you look up favorites in a place you're not familiar with there's a good chance they are either some sort of historical cache, or have some sort of tourist-related draw to them. One on our list is http://coord.info/GC1DC11 simply because of where it is. The favorites have a way of pointing out areas you might have wanted to see from a tourist standpoint as well, especially places like Hawaii. (But then who doesn't just want to camp out on the beach for a month there too) But then again The Armory is on our favorite list too... cause, well, it's The Armory. And I just looked, my Minneapolis AAA tourist guide doesn't have it listed anywhere, so go figure! I do like the feature, I probably just don't use it as much as I could, or I'm really picky. I'm not sure which.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: