MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Puzzle Valley
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sparkyfry
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upon closer inspection, are you sure you're comparing apples and oranges, Paul? I notice the advanced search option shows you all of the puzzles within a 50-mile radius, not the 25-mile radius that you mention. Stuttgart does have 5,931 puzzles within a 50-mile radius. Within 50 miles of the "ground zero" of Minneapolis (N 44 58.798 W 093 15.830), I got 1,245 puzzles; for Seattle (N 47 36.373 W 122 19.924), I got 1,550.
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparkyfry wrote:
Upon closer inspection, are you sure you're comparing apples and oranges, Paul? I notice the advanced search option shows you all of the puzzles within a 50-mile radius, not the 25-mile radius that you mention. Stuttgart does have 5,931 puzzles within a 50-mile radius. Within 50 miles of the "ground zero" of Minneapolis (N 44 58.798 W 093 15.830), I got 1,245 puzzles; for Seattle (N 47 36.373 W 122 19.924), I got 1,550.

Oops, that's right. The advanced search uses a different radius for searches by postal code than for searches by coordinate. I used postal codes for the US ones and coordinates for the European ones.
sparkyfry
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, regardless, it's still an impressive amount of puzzles in Stuttgart, and a big deficit for us to make up. Let's get to work!
tonkaMN
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparkyfry wrote:
Well, regardless, it's still an impressive amount of puzzles in Stuttgart, and a big deficit for us to make up. Let's get to work!

NO! There are already too many puzzles that I can't solve!
candcfamily
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Puzzle Valley Reply with quote

pfalstad wrote:
A while ago I has compared our puzzle density to other metro areas and I couldn't find an area with more puzzles in a 25-mile radius other than Seattle. Well I just checked again today, and we just passed Seattle. Smile Doing an advanced search for Unknown caches by postal code, I get 976 for 55401, 970 for 98115. Nice work people! Very Happy Does anyone know of an area with more puzzles?

94545: 1226 puzzles Cool
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Puzzle Valley Reply with quote

candcfamily wrote:
pfalstad wrote:
A while ago I has compared our puzzle density to other metro areas and I couldn't find an area with more puzzles in a 25-mile radius other than Seattle. Well I just checked again today, and we just passed Seattle. Smile Doing an advanced search for Unknown caches by postal code, I get 976 for 55401, 970 for 98115. Nice work people! Very Happy Does anyone know of an area with more puzzles?

Oh darn, I checked San Francisco and Alameda but not there.
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Puzzle Valley Reply with quote

pfalstad wrote:
candcfamily wrote:
pfalstad wrote:

Oh darn, I checked San Francisco and Alameda but not there.

I'd assume the areas that have the most puzzle density will also have high population density so someone should write a script that takes a list of the 50 or 100 most population dense zip codes and query geocaching.com and spit out the number of puzzles for that zip code. Smile
sparkyfry
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if we wanted to really do a lot of work, we should find a way to figure out puzzle density per capita. It looks like Hayward is part of the San Francisco metro area. According to this site, the SF Metro has 4.3 million people, while the Twin Cities has 3.3 million (although it looks like they include St. Cloud, which seems a bit far out). Does that make our number seem more or less impressive?
Sharknose Bunnies
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:42 am    Post subject: Re: Puzzle Valley Reply with quote

candcfamily wrote:
pfalstad wrote:

At the rate new puzzles are getting published, we'll be past that in a week or so.
seeingitdifferent
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not so sure. I was talking with another cacher that really doesn't like puzzles and they were talking about making a Challenge cache that had a special logging requirement of having to Archive 2 of your puzzles to qualify. Shocked
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seeingitdifferent wrote:
Not so sure. I was talking with another cacher that really doesn't like puzzles and they were talking about making a Challenge cache that had a special logging requirement of having to Archive 2 of your puzzles to qualify. Shocked

I'm pretty sure that's a 'negative' or 'non-accomplishment' challenge and as such I doubt our reviewers would publish it.
seeingitdifferent
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what you're saying is I should tell Rude Rats it probably won't get published Shocked
CodeJunkie
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Discovered this discussion via the 1K Puzzle Challenge. Hailing from the Land of Sellzup (Fox Valley Area) east a couple of hundred miles.

Interesting to look at the number of puzzles, so I took a look at our local puzzle capital centered around zip code 54913. Here's what I found:
418 Puzzles
1934 Total Caches
21.6% Puzzle / Total cache ratio density
kc9gbo
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard CodeJunkie! I was wondering how Appleton fit in against Golden Valley, interesting to see. Now if I could just figure some of the puzzles out.
minnstars
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CodeJunkie wrote:
Discovered this discussion via the 1K Puzzle Challenge. Hailing from the Land of Sellzup (Fox Valley Area) east a couple of hundred miles.

Interesting to look at the number of puzzles, so I took a look at our local puzzle capital centered around zip code 54913. Here's what I found:
418 Puzzles
1934 Total Caches
21.6% Puzzle / Total cache ratio density

How many miles in this circle? It must be pretty big area?

Puzzle % is an interesting stat to judge density relative to all cache types. I'll take a look at the Twin Cities Metro and post back.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: