MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone else having issues?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dmnrec
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:16 pm    Post subject: Anyone else having issues? Reply with quote

On Friday, when I hooked up my Garmin map62s to my laptop, the Garmin site said there was an update for it... so I downloaded it. Since then, my screen has been freezing when I switch pages, or totally blanks out. The only way to get it back is to take out the batteries and put them in again. Of course, when I'm home, I'm flipping page after page and it doesn't do it. I did remove the sd card in case it was corrupt and it seems to be working, but I won't know if that was the issue until I'm back "out in the field".

Anyone else do that recent update and are having issues?
Aix sponsa
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 62s has been giving me problems for quite awhile. Often after I turn it off, switch batteries (I guess that turns it off) or upload a new database from GSAK then turn it on, it slowly fades out as it uploads the waypoints. It doesn't even get around to uploading the maps. I have to do a hard reset frequently after turning it on. It is part of using my device. I'm not happy with it. It takes time. I need to reset some of the settings every time and I lose any backtrack that I have. Thankfully it doesn't lose any other data. I've had this problem for over half I year. I didn't attribute it to a firmware update but that could be the reason. My problem sounds a little different but I think that there is some improvement needed in this GPSr

bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I'll avoid the next update.

I noticed my 62s has always locked up if I manually place two different GPX files using Windows Explorer, where I know that both files contain the same waypoint. It's like the GPS cannot reconcile duplicates.
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is the same problem I've been having with my GPS 60CX for a few years now, if I can pre-load the queries, sometimes I can use it without it dieing, but mostly it locks up. I think it might have been after a firmware update on mine as well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Grey Wolf and Wild Rice
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are you loading the waypoints?

I'm using the GarminExport macro and haven't had a problem. http://gsak.net/board/MacroIndex.php The macro has a lot of options to learn. When I first got the 62s, I used the GSAK export from GSAK's menu and had a couple minor problems, but the macro has been working fine.
dmnrec
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grey Wolf and Wild Rice wrote:
How are you loading the waypoints?

I'm using the GarminExport macro and haven't had a problem. http://gsak.net/board/MacroIndex.php The macro has a lot of options to learn. When I first got the 62s, I used the GSAK export from GSAK's menu and had a couple minor problems, but the macro has been working fine.

I've been using GSAK for the past year, and this has been the first time I've had this issue.... the only change for me is it was right after the Garmin update. I had the same caches loaded before and after the update, and had no issues before it, only after it.
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just tried to play with it now, the 60 gets to the GPS detection screen and within a few seconds locks up. Doesn't seem to matter what I do..I tried disabling the GPS (demo mode)...I've tried removing the SD Card...I've tried moving to another screen. Withing 5 or so seconds, it locks up, and pulling the batteries is the only thing I can do. I tried re-flashing the system software, but it won't stay up longer. Does this match your problem with the 62?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dmnrec
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sir_zman wrote:
I just tried to play with it now, the 60 gets to the GPS detection screen and within a few seconds locks up. Doesn't seem to matter what I do..I tried disabling the GPS (demo mode)...I've tried removing the SD Card...I've tried moving to another screen. Withing 5 or so seconds, it locks up, and pulling the batteries is the only thing I can do. I tried re-flashing the system software, but it won't stay up longer. Does this match your problem with the 62?

Mine locks up right away when I switch pages... if I hit "go", all I get is the go at the bottom of the screen, nothing else. If I manage to get into the map screen to look for a cache, if I try to read logs, or the hint, it goes blank.

If it happens again, I'm going to just send it in... I've been told by others that my compass is messed up anyways and probably has been that way since I bought it (I just figured it was me Laughing ). So, maybe Garmin can fix these issues....
Grey Wolf and Wild Rice
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are you loading caches from GSAK? A macro (if so, which one), directly from GSAK via the file/export menu, or some other method?

You may also try calling Garmin. I have heard their phone support can solve many issues.
15Tango
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine will occasionally just shut off when I deviate from the route it wants me to take when autorouting, almost like it's telling me "fine, if you don't want to go the way I want you to go, then I'll just take a break," but it's always done that, and it's rare enough that I don't consider it a major issue. And sometimes I'll get really weird screens if I change batteries while I'm still heading to a destination I'm currently navigating to, but stopping navigation, taking out the batteries and flipping them, and then powering up again seems to clear that up. But I rarely go on to My Dashboard on Garmin - I'll be sure to avoid the latest update until they get the bugs worked out.
dmnrec
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grey Wolf and Wild Rice wrote:
How are you loading caches from GSAK? A macro (if so, which one), directly from GSAK via the file/export menu, or some other method?

You may also try calling Garmin. I have heard their phone support can solve many issues.

I load directly from GSAK after I load the query into it. I've been using it for over a year, and this is the first time I've had issues. I'm going to see how it behaves tomorrow, now that I've removed the sd card. If I still have issues, then I'll make the call or send it in.
dmnrec
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I finally figured out the issue... being a glutton for punishment, I once again downloaded another new update from Garmin. Again, right after I did it, the same issues with the gps freezing up. What seemed to fix it, was loading a new query into the gps (and clearing the gps before)... now it works.... hoping this fixes it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: