MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GPS or smart phone? And which GPS?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Juniper94
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:26 pm    Post subject: GPS or smart phone? And which GPS? Reply with quote

I have a Garmin I got 6 years ago. The only way to send cache info to it is to plug it into my computer and using Internet Explorer (no other browser will work). It's like a ten step process per cache, and then all I see is the name of the cache and the coordinates. I would really have to plan ahead where I'm going and spend hours transferring caches to the GPS. It's so inconvenient that I don't even use it. Instead I use my Android with the Geocaching app. That has all the caches that are near me no matter where I am with all the info about them. Super convenient, but is it as accurate as a hand held GPS unit?

I'm sure technology with GPS units has changed in 6 years. Is it easier to transfer caches to them now? Bluetooth/wireless? Can you transfer large quantities of caches based on a specified area? Or do they possibly pull them up based on your location just like the Android app? Do they show maps/satellite? Are there any specific ones you would recommend?

Last edited by Juniper94 on Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:17 am; edited 1 time in total
spinowner
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could have written this. My Garmin eTrex is 12 years old. I don't use it any more. I don't use the Geocaching app. I downloaded a free GPS app (GPS tour) which I have found to be more accurate than my eTrex. I don't cache very often so I don't bother downloading caches and I'm not even a premium member. I write coords on paper and off I go.
purplesquirrel1
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you premium members? You can download pocket queries and transfer the resulting GPX files into your Garmin. I used to do that with my eTrex 20.

Now I use GSAK and the Garmin Export macro with my eTrex 30.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't find phone GPS receivers to be as accurate as a handheld, but I know there are others that swear by their phone GPS. Having found a significant number of caches with both devices I'll say that the phone is very handy, especially when you find some time in an area that you hadn't planned on being in. The GPS is handy for more quickly finding a cache (especially in a remote area). The combination of the GPS (for accuracy) and the phone (for information) for me is the best.

It sounds like the best combination for you is pocket queries (PQs) and the GSAK program.
dornole
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love phone caching especially the maps. I like knowing there's a river or lake in my way. The accuracy of the phone really seems to vary, or at least it used to, based on the number of cell towers nearby. If you are in the metro it's pretty good. One time on Key West? Accuracy literally one mile! (that's quite a radius . . . ) The GPS is better for use in rural areas. I tend to use the phone AND a GPS. I have a Garmin Oregon that I can easily download caches into by clicking the download button on the cache listing if I'm planning ahead and it will have the description logs etc, though the phone is honestly better for those. If more spontaneous, I just hand enter the coords from phone to GPS in the field or use phone only.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: