MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

So what do you think will change
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Geocaching Websites
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
WestSideDaddy
Past MnGCA Board


Joined: 06 Apr 2010

Posts: 559

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:07 am    Post subject: So what do you think will change Reply with quote

I see that GC has a maintenance banner up for today. Last few releases have gotten some tepid responses. I wonder what they are releasing today?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JJnTJ
Geocacher


Joined: 23 Aug 2010

Posts: 218

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on a little over a year of my observations, I predict there will be:

52 changes in total:
20 changes will make long-standing issues worse because Groundspeak doesn't have a single real geocacher working for them and they have no clue how geocachers actually think or use the site.
27 changes will make meaningful progress on long-standing issues.
5 changes will actually fix long-standing issues outright.
15 of those changes (including some of the good ones) will be reverted over the next few days with no explanation.

5 brand new (minor) features will be added:
3 of those features will be useless to actual geocachers, and implemented poorly and require fixes over the next few days
1 feature will be useful for real geocachers, but will be implemented poorly and take two months to actually behave as intended.
2 features will get in the way of real geocachers, and will be sidelined, castrated or removed within two weeks.


The horrible thing is that my company's software development works the same way. The people writing the code have no idea what it's for. This is no major problem, as long as they are given decent specifications to work from. Unfortunately, the people writing the specs are marketing people and have no idea what the users actually want or how they use the software. But they can think of new ideas all day long!
Sad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bflentje
Geocacher


Joined: 29 May 2006

Posts: 3972

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JJnTJ wrote:
The horrible thing is that my company's software development works the same way. The people writing the code have no idea what it's for. This is no major problem, as long as they are given decent specifications to work from. Unfortunately, the people writing the specs are marketing people and have no idea what the users actually want or how they use the software. But they can think of new ideas all day long!
Sad


I am glad you caught yourself there at the end. While I agree that there are good and bad software developers, the average software developer should only be writing code to the requirement they are given.

Your first statement about no geocachers on staff probably has more merit than anything.

One thing to keep in mind, while developers should be testing their own code, they should not be held responsible if bad code goes into production. The morons running QA or whoever does final acceptance testing should be the ones that get flogged.

Unfortunately, I think John Q. Public is the unofficial QA team for Groundspeak. Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
WestSideDaddy
Past MnGCA Board


Joined: 06 Apr 2010

Posts: 559

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow.. I should have called this developer's coffee shop

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JJnTJ
Geocacher


Joined: 23 Aug 2010

Posts: 218

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wouldn't be so bad being the unofficial QA team if we could tinker with things on a separate site until most of the issues were shaken out. I think they'd have a lot of volunteers, and they wouldn't annoy the core userbase by dumping half-baked changes on them. Sad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Red_Devil35
Past MnGCA Board


Joined: 26 Apr 2006

Posts: 3050
Location: Practically South Dakota!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and it went down just as I was about to submit a new puzzle.....
_________________
"We never seek things for themselves-what we seek is the very seeking of things"-Pascal
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JJnTJ
Geocacher


Joined: 23 Aug 2010

Posts: 218

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=285002&pid=4887424

Surprised

Some cool new stuff, especially for puzzlers!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
KRedEP
Geocacher


Joined: 03 Aug 2007

Posts: 779

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well this has great potential!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
knowschad
Geocacher


Joined: 20 Jun 2005

Posts: 468
Location: South St Paul

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JJnTJ wrote:
http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=285002&pid=4887424

Surprised

Some cool new stuff, especially for puzzlers!


The corrected coordinates feature will be great once they tie it in with Pocket Queries (IF they ever tie it in. Groundspeak is well-known for not completing what it starts).

Deleting of images from a log is a welcome change, as well.
_________________
Alcohol & calculus don't mix. Don't drink & deriv
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tonkaMN
MnGCA Board


Joined: 10 Jun 2009

Posts: 796

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, they deleted the 'view map' link on cache pages. Now I'll have to figure out a new way to refresh my map every five minutes when it no longer recognizes my finds. Ugggh!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
WestSideDaddy
Past MnGCA Board


Joined: 06 Apr 2010

Posts: 559

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonkaMN wrote:
Great, they deleted the 'view map' link on cache pages. Now I'll have to figure out a new way to refresh my map every five minutes when it no longer recognizes my finds. Ugggh!


That is the link I click on the most. Now you have to scroll down to the on page map and click view larger map
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
WestSideDaddy
Past MnGCA Board


Joined: 06 Apr 2010

Posts: 559

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WestSideDaddy wrote:
tonkaMN wrote:
Great, they deleted the 'view map' link on cache pages. Now I'll have to figure out a new way to refresh my map every five minutes when it no longer recognizes my finds. Ugggh!


That is the link I click on the most. Now you have to scroll down to the on page map and click view larger map


Looks like they jsut ocnsolidated the view map link into the text for "In Minnesota" text

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pfalstad
Geocacher


Joined: 02 Feb 2006

Posts: 1007
Location: Edina

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

knowschad wrote:
JJnTJ wrote:
http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=285002&pid=4887424

Surprised

Some cool new stuff, especially for puzzlers!


The corrected coordinates feature will be great once they tie it in with Pocket Queries (IF they ever tie it in. Groundspeak is well-known for not completing what it starts).

Also they haven't tied it in with the iPhone app yet, as I just found out.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
KRedEP
Geocacher


Joined: 03 Aug 2007

Posts: 779

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pfalstad wrote:
knowschad wrote:
JJnTJ wrote:
http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=285002&pid=4887424

Surprised

Some cool new stuff, especially for puzzlers!


The corrected coordinates feature will be great once they tie it in with Pocket Queries (IF they ever tie it in. Groundspeak is well-known for not completing what it starts).

Also they haven't tied it in with the iPhone app yet, as I just found out.

iPhones don't always work the way they're supposed to when they get wet. Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ghost640
Geocacher


Joined: 03 Nov 2006

Posts: 270
Location: Independence, north of Twig

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WestSideDaddy wrote:
WestSideDaddy wrote:
tonkaMN wrote:
Great, they deleted the 'view map' link on cache pages. Now I'll have to figure out a new way to refresh my map every five minutes when it no longer recognizes my finds. Ugggh!


That is the link I click on the most. Now you have to scroll down to the on page map and click view larger map


Looks like they jsut ocnsolidated the view map link into the text for "In Minnesota" text



Thanks for the tip! Don't think I'd have tried that...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Geocaching Websites All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group
Geocaching Cache Icons, Copyright 2009, Groundspeak Inc. All rights reserved. Used with Permission.